Ongoing 2019 Tri Glide Build-Out w/ lots of photos, videos and observations

Interesting video, doesn't appear to be to complicated. Was wondering how long it took or did you time it just curious. Have heard it is a two hour job if I remember right but I could be wrong which most of the time I am, LOL:D

I know you will keep us updated if it works or not, never have heard from the people that had it done and it didn't help, be curious what Harley will do on the ones that the vent don't work.

All for now Trampas

Interesting video, doesn't appear to be to complicated. Was wondering how long it took or did you time it just curious. Have heard it is a two hour job if I remember right but I could be wrong which most of the time I am, LOL:D

I know you will keep us updated if it works or not, never have heard from the people that had it done and it didn't help, be curious what Harley will do on the ones that the vent don't work.

All for now Trampas

Nope, not complicated at all. It took a bit less than 2 hours, but we were videoing also. Would have been closer to one hour if not making a video.

But, we did have a couple of advantages-

The instructions call for removing the rider and passenger floorboard brackets, which would normally be necessary.

Since I am running rider floorboard extensions and passenger floorboard relocators, we did not have to remove the brackets, just the actual boards. That saved a solid 30 minutes between taking them off and putting them back on.

I'll definitely be checking and reporting over the next few weeks/months. Might have a week delay with the freeze coming in early next week! I am not planning on riding in 15-20* temps! :xzqxz:

Good job, and thanks for the video:clapping:

Hey Jack! Put a note about you in one of the comments on the video. :)

Kevin

Two things to report on the Tri Glide-

1. At 500 miles now, since the Primary Vent Install. So far no transfer. Will check again in another 500 miles.

2. My JESCustom analog oil temp gauge bit the dust this last week. I got it because I was tired of the unreliability of the HD digital gauges and somehow thought a mechanical gauge would be more reliable...and perhaps they are and I just got the one in one thousand dud. dunno

Anyway, I emailed JESCustomAccents this morning, asking for instructions on how to get a warranty replacement. Have not heard back from them yet.

If I remember correctly they have a 1 year warranty, same as the HD Digital gauge. It has only been 9 months on the JES.

Hopefully the replacement will last many years.

Kevin

Two things to report on the Tri Glide-

1. At 500 miles now, since the Primary Vent Install. So far no transfer. Will check again in another 500 miles.

2. My JESCustom analog oil temp gauge bit the dust this last week. I got it because I was tired of the unreliability of the HD digital gauges and somehow thought a mechanical gauge would be more reliable...and perhaps they are and I just got the one in one thousand dud. dunno

Anyway, I emailed JESCustomAccents this morning, asking for instructions on how to get a warranty replacement. Have not heard back from them yet.

If I remember correctly they have a 1 year warranty, same as the HD Digital gauge. It has only been 9 months on the JES.

Hopefully the replacement will last many years.

Kevin

Wishing you luck.

HD Temp Gauge?

It worked! :laugh:

JES emailed this morning that they are sending out a replacement in a few days!

Kevin

I started to open a new thread about oil temp gauge questions, but I will just post my questions here and hope it doesn't get buried. I would like Jack, Kevin, and others with knowledge of, or contacts that would know, to answer a couple of questions about oil temp gauges.

In 2010 I installed the HD oil temp gauge kit on my 2007 Road Glide. I am speaking of the kit that mounts in the fairing and goes into the bottom of the pan near the drain plug.

I simply took the air temp gauge, that was the top left side gauge on the RG, out and installed the HD oil temp gauge in that slot. The HD gauge matched the other 3 gauges exactly. It

worked fine and never gave me any trouble. The gauge light worked and the gauge gave good readings. It looked just like it came from the factory.

I have thought about taking the voltage gauge out of my 2016 TGU and installing a HD, or some other brand, oil temp gauge that would install in the bottom of the pan like the HD gauge.

I run my PV in the 4 gauge view all the time and can monitor the voltage their.

Now, I realize the older models did not have the canbus BCM like the newer model HD bikes. So, does anybody know if the BCM would recognize that the volt meter is either not installed or is malfunctioning, and would not accept the installed HD temp gauge and allow it to operate in that slot?

Maybe if it (BCM) just knows something is there and is getting power it would not matter?

I really would like to have an alternative to the type that go in the oil fill location. Thanks for any help or ideas.

*****Well it just dawned on me that the turn signal indicators are built into the volt and fuel gauges. DUH!! I guess that settles that! Always something!:Shrug:

I started to open a new thread about oil temp gauge questions, but I will just post my questions here and hope it doesn't get buried. I would like Jack, Kevin, and others with knowledge of, or contacts that would know, to answer a couple of questions about oil temp gauges.

In 2010 I installed the HD oil temp gauge kit on my 2007 Road Glide. I am speaking of the kit that mounts in the fairing and goes into the bottom of the pan near the drain plug.

I simply took the air temp gauge, that was the top left side gauge on the RG, out and installed the HD oil temp gauge in that slot. The HD gauge matched the other 3 gauges exactly. It

worked fine and never gave me any trouble. The gauge light worked and the gauge gave good readings. It looked just like it came from the factory.

I have thought about taking the voltage gauge out of my 2016 TGU and installing a HD, or some other brand, oil temp gauge that would install in the bottom of the pan like the HD gauge.

I run my PV in the 4 gauge view all the time and can monitor the voltage their.

Now, I realize the older models did not have the canbus BCM like the newer model HD bikes. So, does anybody know if the BCM would recognize that the volt meter is either not installed or is malfunctioning, and would not accept the installed HD temp gauge and allow it to operate in that slot?

Maybe if it (BCM) just knows something is there and is getting power it would not matter?

I really would like to have an alternative to the type that go in the oil fill location. Thanks for any help or ideas.

*****Well it just dawned on me that the turn signal indicators are built into the volt and fuel gauges. DUH!! I guess that settles that! Always something!:Shrug:

I've seen guys that have mounted the oil temp gauge in the pop-out door in the lowers. Did not really like the look of it myself.

Kevin

I agree.

I've seen guys that have mounted the oil temp gauge in the pop-out door in the lowers. Did not really like the look of it myself.

Kevin

Hey Kevin. Yeah I think I have read every thread and seen every picture of thoughts and ideas of mounting an oil temp gauge on the 14's and up. I don't like the looks of the lower door gauge install either. However, I really don't want to have to take my eyes off the road and look down to see a gauge.

I think it could be mounted on the bars but then it would shake a lot, especially on the TC's. I have tried to find a small rectangular digital oil temp gauge that "might" possibly be mounted up near the top of the inner fairing by the vent opening behind the windshield or in that general area. :Shrug:

Hey Kevin. Yeah I think I have read every thread and seen every picture of thoughts and ideas of mounting an oil temp gauge on the 14's and up. I don't like the looks of the lower door gauge install either. However, I really don't want to have to take my eyes off the road and look down to see a gauge.

I think it could be mounted on the bars but then it would shake a lot, especially on the TC's. I have tried to find a small rectangular digital oil temp gauge that "might" possibly be mounted up near the top of the inner fairing by the vent opening behind the windshield or in that general area. :Shrug:

Mike, I know just enuff about the can bus system to stay in trouble:p

I would give a shout out to https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=60/mode=cat/cat60.htm

If I wanted an oil temp gauge, I'd do what Jack suggested and give DD a call.

To me, more important than an oil temp gauge is an oil pressure gauge. I can know about what my oil temp is from my PowerVision. When the engine and oil is being cooled properly, the oil temp will normalize with Engine Temp after an hour or so of riding.

But oil pressure is another matter. Seems like on the M8's HD is wanting to keep oil pressure Top Secret. lol

I still have a bunch of other things higher on my list, but I may eventually give DD a call myself to see about getting some sort of oil pressure readout on the '19 M8.

Kevin

If I wanted an oil temp gauge, I'd do what Jack suggested and give DD a call.

To me, more important than an oil temp gauge is an oil pressure gauge. I can know about what my oil temp is from my PowerVision. When the engine and oil is being cooled properly, the oil temp will normalize with Engine Temp after an hour or so of riding.

But oil pressure is another matter. Seems like on the M8's HD is wanting to keep oil pressure Top Secret. lol

I still have a bunch of other things higher on my list, but I may eventually give DD a call myself to see about getting some sort of oil pressure readout on the '19 M8.

Kevin

I agree with you on this one Kevin. I dunno if HD has an answer about the oil pressure especially with the ever changing oil pumps on the M8 engines. IMO Harley has been more focused on volume of oil circulating, obviously it will take X amount of pressure BUT, I want to know what kind of operating pressure I have @ all times JMO

I agree!

Quote Kevin "If I wanted an oil temp gauge, I'd do what Jack suggested and give DD a call.

Kevin "

Jack "I agree with you on this one Kevin. I dunno if HD has an answer about the oil pressure especially with the ever changing oil pumps on the M8 engines. IMO Harley has been more focused on volume of oil circulating, obviously it will take X amount of pressure BUT, I want to know what kind of operating pressure I have @ all times JMO"

I agree totally with both of you about wanting the oil pressure reading the most. But, luckily I have that on my 16 so i am just looking for a "clean install" oil temp gauge. I do monitor both my engine temp and coolant temps on my PV when riding.

I suspect that Kevin's statement about the temps being close to the same after riding for an hour or so is probably an accurate statement also. However on very hot 90-100 degree down South days in a total traffic jam just moving 50 yards every few minutes for extended time and no SAFE place to just pull over and stop, I would like to have both pressure and temp.

I just want the temp gauge, but I don't want it $300.00 worth.:D That is about what it would cost me from DD using items from their web site and using there smallest "mini 1 7/8 gauge and some form of a bar mount. Now I know they make very good products and I am not knocking them.... you get what you pay for.

I have not "called" DD, but I have looked at everything on their site. I will give them a call though. I was hoping to find something that would work mounted on the inner fairing, but I don't think that is going to happen. I have a CB module in the left side area, so it can't go there. However the CB won't talk a half mile so I might pull it out one day.

Now, a question for y'all about the M8's. How does HD check the oil pressure on M8's with a pressure problem? Is there an ECM or BCM reading that only their Computer software program can access? Do they install a gauge of some type somewhere in the lines?

Harley M8 oil pressure from the 2017 Manual,

Minimum pressure hot @ idle 5 PSI

Normal pressure @ 2K RPM 30-38

Max pressure 50 PSI

OK.

Mike, the techs would check the oil pressure on a M8 the same as any other engine

They would use a master gauge set up

Well, I guess I should have been a little clearer. Obviously they have to install the gauge somewhere into the engine. Kevin's statement about HD keeping the oil pressure secret is what had me wondering. So, I now assume he meant keeping the ability to get the info from the ECM/BCM is what they are keeping secret.....NOT how to install an external gauge to get the info. So, It appears you can install a gauge somewhere if you want an external pressure gauge. I have seen videos of oil pressure gauges being installed on m8's on you tube. Again "assuming" was not so good. :):blush:

Well, I guess I should have been a little clearer. Obviously they have to install the gauge somewhere into the engine. Kevin's statement about HD keeping the oil pressure secret is what had me wondering. So, I now assume he meant keeping the ability to get the info from the ECM/BCM is what they are keeping secret.....NOT how to install an external gauge to get the info. So, It appears you can install a gauge somewhere if you want an external pressure gauge. I have seen videos of oil pressure gauges being installed on m8's on you tube. Again "assuming" was not so good. :):blush:

I think I understand now. Yeah I wonder how the ECM can report to the info center, yet the oil pressure ( read by the sensor) appears to be in the operating range. What does the ECM know that we cannot find out? I have NEVER liked oil idiot lights of any kind, I prefer a known trusted gauge;)

Yes, all I meant was that HD was not giving us an easy way to read the oil pressure. They obviously have it for the idiot light that is built into the screen to work...AND, I do not believe it would cost them a penny more to make it a digital # readout vs. the digital "OK" that is currently displayed on the screen.

They are "hiding" it from us, possibly for a few reasons-

1. They do not want to deal with folks writing/calling them with concerns about the numbers they are seeing

2. Something in their market research showed the their "target market" does not want to be bothered with the numbers, they'd just rather know if it is "OK" or "Not Ok".

Probably a combination of the two.

Kevin

Got the replacement Temp Gauge today, hopefully the replacement will last many years.

Jes%201.jpg

Broken one and new one-

Jes%202.jpg

New one installed!

Jes%203.jpg

Kevin

Back