Goldwing/Motor Trike driveshaft recall?

Dec 27, 2010
Sturgis SD
I own a 2010 Goldwing with Motor Trike IRS.<br />
<br />
I have heard that Motor Trike is replacing the driveshaft on several Goldwing trikes. Can someone tell me if this is true? My Honda dealer, who did the conversion, claims they have heard nothing about this.

I have a Wing/Motortrike and this is the first I have heard of this.Where did you hear this and maybe you should ask Motortrike they are on here.RIDE SAFE

There is currently not a recall on any Motor Trike drive shafts. <br />
<br />
Back in May of 2010 we did issue a recall on u-joints only on IRS kits made from September 2009 through May of 2010, but there have not been any recalls since.

i had my complete driveshaft replaced by motortrike lasted 1500 miles had maching shop make me a spacer installed spacer on same shaft 15000 miles later NO PROBLEM:)

my spacer added 3/4 inch in length motortrike said i didnt need longer shaft that was my 3rd shaft it fits betweem rearend flange ad driveshaft flange will have to take off to get pictures 9797989360

My friend finally had to ship his trike to MT in Troupe for the vibration problem. We drove down from KY. to pick it up and discussed the drive shaft problem with them. We knew from the beginning of our test that the shaft was too short. They insisted that the drive shaft was inserted all the way into the yoke splines. The guy we were talking to went to get the driveshaft that they had removed to prove to me it was indeed inserted the full length of the splines. When the grease was removed the point of insertion was definitely visible on the splines. It was only about 5/8 inch(to the best of my memory). Just as we had told him. He then said "well that could be a problem". He then made up a longer driveshaft so it would insert fully into the yoke to utilize the full spline length of the yoke. When we left the trike was smooth as it should be. I would have thought that MT would have started making longer driveshafts after having seen first hand that they were too short.

I helped a friend with his Adventure that had a vibration. That was the main cause of it. Drive shaft too short.

What was the nature of your vibrations? Only at a certain speed? I'm having trouble with Champion and my vibrations only come at 2000 rpm regardless of what gear or speed I'm in which makes me think it isn't the driveshaft, but would like to get all the info I can on trying to figure it out. Installer hasn't a clue.

What was the nature of your vibrations? Only at a certain speed? I'm having trouble with Champion and my vibrations only come at 2000 rpm regardless of what gear or speed I'm in which makes me think it isn't the driveshaft, but would like to get all the info I can on trying to figure it out. Installer hasn't a clue.

His vibration was constant but got worse with speed. It was so bad at 60-70mph that, looking in the mirror, the white center lines were a wide blurr and vehicles behind him were unrecognizable.

My friend finally had to ship his trike to MT in Troupe for the vibration problem. We drove down from KY. to pick it up and discussed the drive shaft problem with them. We knew from the beginning of our test that the shaft was too short. They insisted that the drive shaft was inserted all the way into the yoke splines. The guy we were talking to went to get the driveshaft that they had removed to prove to me it was indeed inserted the full length of the splines. When the grease was removed the point of insertion was definitely visible on the splines. It was only about 5/8 inch(to the best of my memory). Just as we had told him. He then said "well that could be a problem". He then made up a longer driveshaft so it would insert fully into the yoke to utilize the full spline length of the yoke. When we left the trike was smooth as it should be. I would have thought that MT would have started making longer driveshafts after having seen first hand that they were too short.

i tried telling motortrike my driveshaft was too short .they acted like i didnt know what i was talking about .im glad they listened to you.i showed richard a video at wingding still didnt get answer .i like my motortrike but they need to listen to riders

My 05 Wing w/08 MT kit has a terrible vibration/ shake/shimmy between 60 and 65+ mph. My Honda service manager has checked it out and says it is not related to front end or tire problems. Could this be the root cause of my problem as well?:Shrug:

My 05 Wing w/08 MT kit has a terrible vibration/ shake/shimmy between 60 and 65+ mph. My Honda service manager has checked it out and says it is not related to front end or tire problems. Could this be the root cause of my problem as well?:Shrug:

It very well could be but the first thing I would check would be the phasing of the driveshaft. The u joints on each end should be in the same position. If they are not it will result in a bad vibration. Standing at the back of the engine looking forward, the engine turns counterclockwise. If the u joints will not lineup perfectly you should have the front one (engine side) leading the rear by one tooth.

What Rowdy said about his friend's is what mine is doing. So I'm going check that out and see how much splines is inserted.

After reading all the comments, am I correct saying that the spline should be inserted about 1 and 1/4 inch?

Perhaps someone from Motor Trike can help us out with this issue.

On my 2010 Goldwing with the Motor Trike IRS that was installed in January 2011, I have a vibration noticeable ONLY in the right mirror. I have installed a new front tire, and had the rears balanced, nothing changed.

Does anyone have any ideas why the right mirror vibrates and not the left??

The right mirror seems tight to me.

I have an 2005 Wing with a 2010 Motor trike Kit. The drive shaft lasted 1500 miles and broke while i was doing 70 on the highway..They covered the towing and the replacment.all FREE,.works Great now...........put 25,000 miles on since and no problems