Primary Vent

Reaction score
Just dropped the trike off at the dealers to get the primary vent installed. They did not give me any trouble at all and said I could pick it up tomorrow. My question is will it work and can I use the fat shaft from Greg Williams with the vent installed?

Just dropped the trike off at the dealers to get the primary vent installed. They did not give me any trouble at all and said I could pick it up tomorrow. My question is will it work and can I use the fat shaft from Greg Williams with the vent installed?

Your profile says you have a 2019, what problem are you trying to solve with the primary vent. Were you having trouble with oil migration?

Yea ,I did the first 1000 mile service myself and the transmission was almost dry. Changed all the oils and checked after another 300 miles and trans was low again. Kept an eye on it for another 1000 miles and it only got worse. All the oil was in the primary.

Interesting ... haven't heard this happing on the 19's .. good luck with the vent.

I wouldn't change anything else until you know how the vent works and your warrantee is up. Just MHO.

Reactions: MDO
Interesting ... haven't heard this happing on the 19's .. good luck with the vent.

I wouldn't change anything else until you know how the vent works and your warrantee is up. Just MHO.

Most of the newer 2019s have the vent already installed from the factory. The older ones did not and may have transmission to primary oil migration. Mine did, about 4-6 oz every 5000 miles. Dealer installed the kit and no issues since.

Early build dates did not have the vent installed by the factory;)

This IMO is still a band aid fix ( it does seem to work), However Harley is missing why this is happening.

If you look at what they changed when they went to a hydraulic clutch you will see why they transfer fluid ;)

Keep a close eye on your fluid Alan, your trike has been identified as one that may transfer

I learned something here as I thought all the 2019's had the fix from the factory.

I still don't understand the relatively small number that do it & why they all don't

I learned something here as I thought all the 2019's had the fix from the factory.

I still don't understand the relatively small number that do it & why they all don't

I have not heard of any Freewheelers transferring, yet this in itself seems strange as the hydraulic clutch is the key factor IMO

My 15 never transferred any fluid and I rode it hard

The last trip I took on it was non stop from Jacksonville to Mn, stopping only for fuel and a snack

My 17M8 has been ridden hard and spent time on a dyno, it today has not transferred any fluid

I think you and I have GOOD ones

I have not heard of any Freewheelers transferring, yet this in itself seems strange as the hydraulic clutch is the key factor IMO

My 15 never transferred any fluid and I rode it hard

The last trip I took on it was non stop from Jacksonville to Mn, stopping only for fuel and a snack

My 17M8 has been ridden hard and spent time on a dyno, it today has not transferred any fluid

I think you and I have GOOD ones

I know we do. I have no oil usage & am happy. Could it just be duel cooling models?

Early build dates did not have the vent installed by the factory;)

This IMO is still a band aid fix ( it does seem to work), However Harley is missing why this is happening.

If you look at what they changed when they went to a hydraulic clutch you will see why they transfer fluid ;)

Keep a close eye on your fluid Alan, your trike has been identified as one that may transfer

I thought it was just the M8's that did this? Mine is a 14 103 Water Head.

I sure do hope the vent works, I got a lot of time invested in this thing. I bought my first new Harley in 1970 and this is the first one thats had a problem I didn't cause myself.

Trike yard.jpg

I have two friends with street glides ( non water cooled) and they are both doing it.I work with a guy who traded his 18 Road Glide on a new Indian because of oil transfer.I have yet to see any 19's that have the vent factory installed.Will be interested to see if the 2020's have the vent.

Couldn't Stand It Any Longer

Finally had to go out and check my tranny level ... a tad over 4k on the current Red Line with Shock Proof ... Still pink bubble gum and right at the mark I left it ... so ... so far .. no migration .. :D ... I am in the habit of not checking the tranny very often ... but I will now .. :D

Finally had to go out and check my tranny level ... a tad over 4k on the current Red Line with Shock Proof ... Still pink bubble gum and right at the mark I left it ... so ... so far .. no migration .. :D ... I am in the habit of not checking the tranny very often ... but I will now .. :D

If it's not doing it now, it's unlikely it will start up. When all this started, I was checking every week, but I apparently got a good M8 & now check every 1,000 miles.

It sure is easier to see the level with the pink pepto bismul installed. :D

I have two friends with street glides ( non water cooled) and they are both doing it.I work with a guy who traded his 18 Road Glide on a new Indian because of oil transfer.I have yet to see any 19's that have the vent factory installed.Will be interested to see if the 2020's have the vent.

I traded in my 17 Tri because of the oil transfer about a year ago and at that time my dealer said he had at least 6 others doing it ! And he also added there probably more doing it but most don’t drive more than 2 or 3 thousand miles a year so they don’t notice it!

Mine was transferring every 8 hundred miles

As an side note he still hasn’t sold my Ex 17 he has it sitting in his showroom for almost a year now!

I added a maintenance check to my vehicle program to check it every 500 miles or two weeks .. if it stays steady ... I'll up it to 1k and a month ... :D

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png