Rear Brakes on my 2020 Tri Glide

PTR

Oct 18, 2019
DeBary , fl , usa
My wife bought me by request low dust brake pads for my 2020 Tri Glide. This weekend I went to install them and the rear calipers are different than anything I have seen on line. The front pads were correct but the rear not so much. It took me a while to figure out how to put them back together with the old pads because the piston has moved out a little during the disassembly. I did not want to force anything and cause damage and for a while i didn't think I was going to get it back together without some instruction. I ended up realizing that if i pushed the piston in at the same time as I screwed it clockwise it would go in.

Does anyone know when they changed the caliper design on the rear calipers?

Peter, I don't know what changed on the rear calipers but I can tell you I had a similar problem several years ago. I was installing new brake pads on my wife's Infiniti and had no problem with the front but could not get the pistons on the rear calipers to retract. Finally I went to Auto Zone where I purchased the pads and they informed me that I needed a special tool (which they loaned me) to get the pistons to retract. As best I recall it turned and pushed on the pistons which is what you did to get them to retract. Perhaps that same or similar tool is required on your TG - or at least make it easier to do.

Peter, I don't know what changed on the rear calipers but I can tell you I had a similar problem several years ago. I was installing new brake pads on my wife's Infiniti and had no problem with the front but could not get the pistons on the rear calipers to retract. Finally I went to Auto Zone where I purchased the pads and they informed me that I needed a special tool (which they loaned me) to get the pistons to retract. As best I recall it turned and pushed on the pistons which is what you did to get them to retract. Perhaps that same or similar tool is required on your TG - or at least make it easier to do.

My VW.....GTi......1976 was the same, They had to be screwed in and pressed down...

The tool i used i had bought at a outdoor flea market years earlier..At the time i had no idea what it was for, Was told it was for a steam engine but for 25 cents i bought it back then i bought tons of tools and sooner or later i would always find a use for them, Those were the days of real flea markets..Not Chinese junk..

This piston actuator is similar to what the auto market has been using for years on rear calipers. A tool set like this
b7GH8eTQcqI1l8XozCDR7GIljj6scbEG9gAA==
is used to turn the piston back in while under slight pressure. You can rent this set @ many automotive parts stores. I bought my set many years ago. Subaru had this type of caliper on some early front axles

This piston actuator is similar to what the auto market has been using for years on rear calipers. A tool set like this
speedway-mechanics-tool-sets-30919-64_1000.jpg
is used to turn the piston back in while under slight pressure. You can rent this set @ many automotive parts stores. I bought my set many years ago. Subaru had this type of caliper on some early front axles

b7GH8eTQcqI1l8XozCDR7GIljj6scbEG9gAA==

I understand how rear brakes with emergency brakes work, have worked on them for years as a tech. My question is when did they change. I want to put low dust pads on and can't find anything aftermarket. If I go to aftermarket sites for rear pads they are wrong. If you look online for remove and install info they show a different style that you take a rubber boot off the back of the caliper and loosen a big nut. They use a different pad also.

Jerry,

I have seen quite a few different designs of rear brakes calipers that also are used for the emergency brake. The problem is they all are just different enough that not resetting the piston right could get very expensive. Sometimes you could think you did it right and find out when you hit the brakes that something inside the caliper was damaged and the brake won't release. I have seen techs do it. My trike has 50 miles on it so I really don't want to buy a new caliper for it. I am quite sure their is a hefty Harley tax on one.

Jerry,

I have seen quite a few different designs of rear brakes calipers that also are used for the emergency brake. The problem is they all are just different enough that not resetting the piston right could get very expensive. Sometimes you could think you did it right and find out when you hit the brakes that something inside the caliper was damaged and the brake won't release. I have seen techs do it. My trike has 50 miles on it so I really don't want to buy a new caliper for it. I am quite sure their is a hefty Harley tax on one.

Very good point. There are a few models of rear actuator pistons that turn in counter clock wise in the automotive world. If not done correctly you will end up ruining a caliper and or best if you can say that you will have a leaker;)

I understand how rear brakes with emergency brakes work, have worked on them for years as a tech. My question is when did they change. I want to put low dust pads on and can't find anything aftermarket. If I go to aftermarket sites for rear pads they are wrong. If you look online for remove and install info they show a different style that you take a rubber boot off the back of the caliper and loosen a big nut. They use a different pad also.

2019 rear pads are different from 15-18 models as are the rear calipers, I dunno about the 2020 models

2019 rear pads are different from 15-18 models as are the rear calipers, I dunno about the 2020 models

I did a live chat with JP Cycles last night and they kept coming up with the wrong rear pads. I hate brake dust, I will wait until Daytona bike week and check out the vendors for the right ones.

I did find out that on the right side you have to spin the piston clockwise and push in hard while turning. I don't know if the left side turns the sameway. When I find the pads I will post the results. Somewhere in my toolbox I have the piston tool. Just need to figure out where.

Attachments

• new toolbox.JPG
    new toolbox.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 186

This is the conversation with JP

rear low dust brake pads for 2020 cvo tri glide

Chat By Chat (Christopher B.) (02/06/2020 07:25 PM)

Hi, my name is Christopher B.. One moment while I review your question.

Christopher B.: Unfortunately I do not have info on your bike at this time.

Christopher B.: I am going to check parts fiche

rocco: how about a 2019

Christopher B.: The issue is the CVO they tend to do drastic changes, I am searching for it. It may take a moment

rocco: ok

Christopher B.: ok brembo brakes all around

Christopher B.: I would go with EBC double H sintered, no dust

rocco: part number?

Christopher B.: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/244-646/ebc-double-h-sintered-front-rear-brake-pads

Fits both front and rear

Christopher B.:

Is there anything else I might help you with?

rocco: nope, rears are different than front

Christopher B.: Only the one comes up for both.

Christopher B.: You might have to go through Harley

Christopher B.:

Is there anything else I might help you with?

rocco: I bought the ones you recommended, they a very different than what's on the back. they do fit the front.

rocco: to much dust to stay oem. thanks for looking,

Christopher B.: sure thing

Christopher B.:

Thank you for chatting with me at J&P Cycles. Have a great day!

'rocco' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').

I did a live chat with JP Cycles last night and they kept coming up with the wrong rear pads. I hate brake dust, I will wait until Daytona bike week and check out the vendors for the right ones.

I did find out that on the right side you have to spin the piston clockwise and push in hard while turning. I don't know if the left side turns the sameway. When I find the pads I will post the results. Somewhere in my toolbox I have the piston tool. Just need to figure out where.

Very nice Snap On Stack and end cabs ya got there;)

Reactions: PTR

Pete....I guarantee it will be in the last place you look.........;).:).

Pete....I guarantee it will be in the last place you look.........;).:).

I don't turn many wrenches anymore but you still have to have a place to keep them all. I just bought the box a few months ago and can't find anything I am looking for. I had the same set up but a little smaller and had a great plan of organization when I moved them to the new box. That plan fell apart after the third draw. I kept my old box for the house and that's a mess too.

I sent an email to EBC and this was there reply, I did order a set and will post if they fit.

"We currently don’t list 2020 Harley models or anything for the CVO range.

The pad in question though is FA631HH"

Kind regards

Gareth Preston

Technical Advisor Motorcycle

01604 583344

I don't turn many wrenches anymore but you still have to have a place to keep them all. I just bought the box a few months ago and can't find anything I am looking for. I had the same set up but a little smaller and had a great plan of organization when I moved them to the new box. That plan fell apart after the third draw. I kept my old box for the house and that's a mess too.

I have two Sons, And a Grandson who find it mandatory to spred my tools to the four corners of my barn....:xzqxz:....

I have two Sons, And a Grandson who find it mandatory to spred my tools to the four corners of my barn....:xzqxz:....

Bob, It is sad to say but you are very lucky to have sons and a grandson that even have the interest in anything that requires the use of tools. Most kids and young adults don't have any interest in fixing anything or using their hands.

Sweet setup.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png