DEI Heat Shield Liner ?

Just installed them this winter. Weather is starting to break, so once I can put a long day in I’ll get back to you all.

Installed nicely, can’t tell they’re even there. Short ride was good, didn’t notice the heat build up near my right foot that I normally felt even in cold weather.

So far so good… more to follow.

DEI heat shield liner to reduce felt heat. Anybody try them? They seem cheap enough at $75.

I installed the Design Engineering part no 901045 on my 21 TG Ultra yesterday. Today, I rode about a 100 miles in 83 degree weather, Experienced a greatly reduced felt heat on my right leg. Multiple stop sign, red light stop and go combined with Highway speed up to seventy miles an hour. Great bang for the buck, IMHO!

I just received my DEI heat shield liners yesterday and will be install the kit today. It's early Spring here in the Northeast, thus I imagine I won't notice much of a difference. I am riding down to Florida in 3 weeks that'll be the real test.

Gave my DEI heat shield liners a good workout today (mid 80’s… crazy… last week I was trying out my heated clothes!).

They are worth every penny! GREATLY reduced felt heat on my right leg in particular.

Slow speed in town riding was the real test and the reduction in felt heat was dramatic.

Glad I invested in them this winter!

Gave my DEI heat shield liners a good workout today (mid 80’s… crazy… last week I was trying out my heated clothes!).

They are worth every penny! GREATLY reduced felt heat on my right leg in particular.

Slow speed in town riding was the real test and the reduction in felt heat was dramatic.

Glad I invested in them this winter!

Any thoughts on comparing the liners to a full heat tape wrap? Advantage of one over the other?

I am seriously considering the DEI liners too. I understand how they work but what do you think about the heat that is reflected back from the pipes? Won't that add to the engine heat and other components? I guess that's my question: where does the heat go and what effects might it cause? Thanks!

I am seriously considering the DEI liners too. I understand how they work but what do you think about the heat that is reflected back from the pipes? Won't that add to the engine heat and other components? I guess that's my question: where does the heat go and what effects might it cause? Thanks!

I”m guessing that it is blown away by the slipstream or exits out the rear of the pipes with the exhaust. Heat rises unless deflected. No real background here; I will certainly defer to others with more training, and knowledge.

Full wrap will eventually destroy your pipes

Using exhaust wrap on header pipes helps to insulate them and reduce radiated heat. This also raises exhaust gas temperatures which increases exhaust gas velocity and improves engine performance. This improves exhaust flow and The Scavenger Effect. Wrapped headers will make a little more Torque and Horsepower than a bare metal set.

It's a great misconception that exhaust wrap destroys exhaust headers and pipes. Exhaust wrap's function is to keep more heat in the exhaust headers and pipes, which is why you see the aforementioned benefits. Pipes will only rust if you keep moisture. So run your engine after washing and let the moisture vaporize.

Using exhaust wrap on header pipes helps to insulate them and reduce radiated heat. This also raises exhaust gas temperatures which increases exhaust gas velocity and improves engine performance. This improves exhaust flow and The Scavenger Effect. Wrapped headers will make a little more Torque and Horsepower than a bare metal set.

It's a great misconception that exhaust wrap destroys exhaust headers and pipes. Exhaust wrap's function is to keep more heat in the exhaust headers and pipes, which is why you see the aforementioned benefits. Pipes will only rust if you keep moisture. So run your engine after washing and let the moisture vaporize.

Yes, the extra internal heat in the pipes helps the low pressure scavenging of the gasses

Also you are correct on the misconception of the wrap destroying the exhaust pipes, if done correctly it will NOT harm the pipes

Any thoughts on comparing the liners to a full heat tape wrap? Advantage of one over the other?

IMO, full wraps not needed when these liners are an option. And, you can’t even tell they’re even installed (they fit extremely well under the stock shields). Visually much better looking than wraps IMO.

I rode again today, temps in the mid 80’s, 150 miles of varied stop and go riding and the reduced felt heat is very noticeable (and appreciated)!

After having the DEI Liners on my 2022 Tri-Glide for about 300 miles I'm beginning to notice white discoloration on the outside of my black heatshields. It's mainly appearing on the rear pipe in the exact area where the hose clamps are. I should have take a pic, but it's too late because I just sprayed the shields with header paint.

When I did the decat on my pipes last year I wrapped the pipes with titanium wrap. Heat problems gone! With the covers on you don't see much if any of the wrap unless you look for it. BTW. The pipes are made of a low grade SS. They're not gonna rust. Back in the day, headers for cars were made of basically auto exhaust pipe. The wrap would trap moisture and rust found the perfect home. The thin walled pipe didn't have a chance. Hence the old wives tail that the wrap would rot your headers. Back then they did. And cheap headers still will. Many now come ceramic coated from the factory.

headers.jpg

When I did the decat on my pipes last year I wrapped the pipes with titanium wrap.

When I wrapped my 20 Tri Glide with DEI titanium wrap, after one year it disintegrated. Went to DEI asbestos wrap, no

more problems. I would be interested, how well yours hold up..

You will surely need larger hose clamps for the heatshields if you use both wrap & liners.

Need new clamps even if you just wrap the pipes. I know I did! Definitely, if you do both.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png