2001 GL1800 Preload settings and kit identification.

jomamase

Oct 10, 2019
Lincoln, RI USA
Hello. I'm new to the forum but have browsed it and found a ton of valuable information here. I have a 2001 GL1800 RS trike with the adjustable preload. When i press the button to add preload it makes no discernable difference until I get to 19 only then can I hear the pump labor, this seems off to me and from what I read I think I need to add fluid. Has anyone done this with the trike body in place or do I have to remove it? Also I tried to email Roadsmith on where I would find information on my trike kit like build date but did not get a reply. Is there any way to find this information? Is there a number or date stamped into the frame somewhere? I was looking for that information so that I could purchase maintenance items like brake pads, rotors, shocke, etc. Thanks in advance for the help. Joe.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to assistance and helping when I can. I'm in Lincoln, RI and I'm pretty handy with tools so if anyone is near and in need of help reach out. :)

Hello Joseph! Welcome to TrikeTalk from Kerrville, Texas!

I don’t have a solution for you but I would suggest you PLASTER Roadsmith with MANY, many, emails and MANY, many phone calls until you get someone to answer. Then there’s always Certified, Return Receipt Mail that they have to sign for.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease..

Hello Joseph! Welcome to TrikeTalk from Kerrville, Texas!

I don’t have a solution for you but I would suggest you PLASTER Roadsmith with MANY, many, emails and MANY, many phone calls until you get someone to answer. Then there’s always Certified, Return Receipt Mail that they have to sign for.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease..

Thank you Paws. I'll try them again.

This is what I sent to them again..

Hello again. I wrote you a while back and did not hear back from you. I have a RS trike on a 2001 GL1800 I bought the bike used so I do not know much about when, where and so on about the kit. Is there any information that I can acquire from you? Is there a number on the frame somewhere that could lead me to a timeline? I am in need of some parts and have no idea on where to purchase them and even if I did I have no way to identify the parts I need. Can you be of any assistance to me with this?

Welcome!

Take a look at the side of the hitch assembly and you should see a tag with the model and serial number.0723191109a-picsay.jpg

Joe, My brother and I serviced the preload adjuster cylinder on both of our Roadsmith trikes last spring before riding season. We were able to do it without removing thr trike body. You will need to jack it up high enough to work under the back so you can remove the cylinder then feed it out the right side just in front of the trike body. We removed the pump assembly and sent it to Traxson and had them rebuild it and replace the hose with a steel braded hose. Once we got it back we reinstalled it and now it starts to put preload on at #1. It was not an easy job but better then removing the body. Hope this help you in your repairs.

Mark

Joe, My brother and I serviced the preload adjuster cylinder on both of our Roadsmith trikes last spring before riding season. We were able to do it without removing thr trike body. You will need to jack it up high enough to work under the back so you can remove the cylinder then feed it out the right side just in front of the trike body. We removed the pump assembly and sent it to Traxson and had them rebuild it and replace the hose with a steel braded hose. Once we got it back we reinstalled it and now it starts to put preload on at #1. It was not an easy job but better then removing the body. Hope this help you in your repairs.

Mark

Thank you Mark. I will look into that when I start the project. I may still pull the entire body to give it a thorough cleaning, inspect wires, mechanical, change lube and so on. If it gets too hairy it's nice to know that there is an easier out. Safe riding. Joe.

Mark

Thank's for the help. I'll try that. I think that maybe the shocks are shot as well. I tried the test with pushing the buttons to 0 and then up to whenever the pump starts to load and mine didn't come into way up on the scale..

Hello. I'm new to the forum but have browsed it and found a ton of valuable information here. I have a 2001 GL1800 RS trike with the adjustable preload. When i press the button to add preload it makes no discernable difference until I get to 19 only then can I hear the pump labor, this seems off to me and from what I read I think I need to add fluid. Has anyone done this with the trike body in place or do I have to remove it? Also I tried to email Roadsmith on where I would find information on my trike kit like build date but did not get a reply. Is there any way to find this information? Is there a number or date stamped into the frame somewhere? I was looking for that information so that I could purchase maintenance items like brake pads, rotors, shocke, etc. Thanks in advance for the help. Joe.

Hi Jomamase - sorry for the delay in responding to your post. You should be able to service the hydraulic cylinder and hose/pump without removing the body. Securing the trike on some jack stands and removing one of the rear tires will make things easier. I've heard of people replacing the hydraulic hose as they believe it swells, taking away some of the power that should be going to the cylinder.

If you look underneath the trike conversion trunk, on the H-frame that holds up the trike body, there should be a foil label with the frame number of the conversion. If no label, look on the bottom of the 2.5" main frame tube, left side (in front of left tire). The welders stamp the same number series into that tube when making the frame.

What address are you sending emails? I asked the person responsible for monitoring our website email, and he does not recall seeing your messages. Anything you need from here on out, use my email address jim@roadsmithtrikes.com

Thanks! Jim

Hi Jomamase - sorry for the delay in responding to your post. You should be able to service the hydraulic cylinder and hose/pump without removing the body. Securing the trike on some jack stands and removing one of the rear tires will make things easier. I've heard of people replacing the hydraulic hose as they believe it swells, taking away some of the power that should be going to the cylinder.

If you look underneath the trike conversion trunk, on the H-frame that holds up the trike body, there should be a foil label with the frame number of the conversion. If no label, look on the bottom of the 2.5" main frame tube, left side (in front of left tire). The welders stamp the same number series into that tube when making the frame.

What address are you sending emails? I asked the person responsible for monitoring our website email, and he does not recall seeing your messages. Anything you need from here on out, use my email address jim@roadsmithtrikes.com

Thanks! Jim

Thank you for the response. I did email you as well but forgot to mention that my brakes seem to surge. I think that maybe the rotors are warped though they seem so thick that I cannot imagine that happening. In any event I probably need those and the pads as well. I could use a source to purchase trike kit associated parts as well. Thanks for the help. Joe.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png