New CVO Tri Glide rides like a MAC Truck

jetspeed8

May 26, 2021
Mims, FL
Went to Ocala yesterday and traded my 2015 CVO Limited for a 2021 CVO Tri Glide. This is my first Trike.I rode it home, about 100 miles. The ride was horrible. I felt every crack and cranny in the road. I thought these Trikes were supposed to be a pretty smooth ride. The dealership prepped the bike and the tire pressures are 40psi in the front and 30psiin the rears. Is there some kind of secret to getting a smoother ride to of the Trikes? What can I do to soften the rideon my new CVO?

Went to Ocala yesterday and traded my 2015 CVO Limited for a 2021 CVO Tri Glide. This is my first Trike.I rode it home, about 100 miles. The ride was horrible. I felt every crack and cranny in the road. I thought these Trikes were supposed to be a pretty smooth ride. The dealership prepped the bike and the tire pressures are 40psi in the front and 30psiin the rears. Is there some kind of secret to getting a smoother ride to of the Trikes? What can I do to soften the rideon my new CVO?

Not sure on the low profile tires, on the TriGlide, we run 36 front & 23 rear. You can also read the manual & find the settings for the shocks . They are hand operated ( have to remove seat) ..First thing I removed & installed Pro-Action shocks

Try 22lbs in rear tires and 5lbs in the air shocks . Front tire is ok at 30 .

Coil over rear shocks are in your future ……..

Problem is with dealer setting up trike. Go by manual with 36 lbs in front for easier steering and lower rear to 22-23 lbs cold for smoother ride. Lower your shock adjustment to 1-2 clicks and start from there to find the best ride.

David .....With 3 wheels on the ground its hard to miss any pot holes /man holes covers etc... You can't straddle them or go around them like on a two wheeler. And i would think that the low profile tires that come with the CVO Package are just for looks not comfort ...Like others mentioned lower the air pressure on them..

I agree with lowering the number setting on the rear shocks plus probably the rear tire pressure. But to be honest that new trike will NEVER ride as smooth as what you just got rid of IMHO. We are currently traveling/riding in Illinois (pothole capital of the U.S.) and it is worse than a Mac Truck!

Problem is with dealer setting up trike. Go by manual with 36 lbs in front for easier steering and lower rear to 22-23 lbs cold for smoother ride. Lower your shock adjustment to 1-2 clicks and start from there to find the best ride.

Thanks.... That will be the project for today as well as getting used to turning this monster... ha ha:)

David .....With 3 wheels on the ground its hard to miss any pot holes /man holes covers etc... You can't straddle them or go around them like on a two wheeler. And i would think that the low profile tires that come with the CVO Package are just for looks not comfort ...Like others mentioned lower the air pressure on them..

Agreed ...Going to try some different shock settings and air pressures today..

Good luck I have the 2014 and it will never ride like what you had. the dealer tried to get me to trade mine in just last week and I told him when Harley puts independent suspension on the Triglide I would be waiting at his door for mine. Good advice about the tires

Congrats on your new ride!

Like has been said, getting the psi set around 36 in front and 22 in the rear will soften it up a bit.

With the low profile tires you may want more than that.

There are a couple of options.

You can get it a little softer by adding the Convertible Comfort Lift™. It changes the angle of the shocks to get more leverage on the shocks for an improvement in ride quality.

If you still want more after that, you can add some quality 13" shocks which you can see HERE, or you can go with the Trike Series Shocks™ that we came up with a few years ago. You can see those HERE.

Here is a LINK to a Rear Suspension Report that compares the popular brands of shocks. There are a few options in there that are really good, some quite affordable.

Kevin

I took one for a test ride a few week's ago , I thought it rode really bad, I felt I would have to change the shocks and change the wheels and tires to a 65 or 70 series so you have some cushion in the tires to help absorb the bump's . I thought it was really hot compared to mine . I kept my 2020 that I put $ 10000. in to make it cooler , ride better , and have a radio I could hear , and a little more power .:D:D

Congrats on your new ride!

Like has been said, getting the psi set around 36 in front and 22 in the rear will soften it up a bit.

With the low profile tires you may want more than that.

There are a couple of options.

You can get it a little softer by adding the Convertible Comfort Lift™. It changes the angle of the shocks to get more leverage on the shocks for an improvement in ride quality.

If you still want more after that, you can add some quality 13" shocks which you can see HERE, or you can go with the Trike Series Shocks™ that we came up with a few years ago. You can see those HERE.

Here is a LINK to a Rear Suspension Report that compares the popular brands of shocks. There are a few options in there that are really good, some quite affordable.

Kevin

After my 1000 mile service at HD I am going to give you a call and get one of your set ups. have heard great things about the Comfort Lift and shock setup for my Trike.

I have had low profile rear tires on my trike for 6 years. I run 22 lbs and have no issues. I do have the modified shocks and lift on my 2013 TRI. The low profiles are just fine with the lower pressure.

Like has been mentioned, you need to get the pressures and shocks dialed in. Shocks likely should be replaced with coil overs for a much better ride.

Keep in mind that a trike is a different animal....you are feeling bumps picked up by three wheels all travelling different tracks rather than two travelling basically in one track. The trick will also move differently under your butt and you need to get used to the feel of it. Don't try to fightt it, just let it happen.....pretty soon you won't even feel it....

YMMV

Lon

P.S. If you arms are out of shape, might wanna start working out.....:D

David, we have a CVO and run 36 up front and 22 in the rear, also have the shocks around the 13-14 mark. Since we live in Florida, our roads are very good and right now the Misses is happy on the back without changing the shocks out. When we picked it up from the dealer the shocks were at '0', lol.

David, we have a CVO and run 36 up front and 22 in the rear, also have the shocks around the 13-14 mark. Since we live in Florida, our roads are very good and right now the Misses is happy on the back without changing the shocks out. When we picked it up from the dealer the shocks were at '0', lol.

I run the same PSI as you on my 21 Freewheeler

I run #5 setting on the shocks solo, 2 up I run 15, it seems to ride pretty good compared to the 17 with the same old same old air shocks

The only thing I do not like is taking the seat off to adjust the shocks, but I will soon get over it;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png