How Do You Jack Up Your No Lean Susp. Solid Axle for Tire Change?

Apr 26, 2013
Clio MI USA
How Do You Jack Up Your No Lean Susp. Solid Axle for Tire Change?

I have a 2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Monarch (not a Monarch ll) with running boards and the no lean suspension solid axle. I do all of my underside maintenance by backing up on ramps > when needed, I centrally jack up under my differential with a floor jack and place jack stands under the axle "at" each side differential. I was told when I had my trike built, to only jack up under the differential.

I'm whispering here; Luckily, I've never had a flat (Whew) over the past 19 years therefore, I never had to jack mine up on the roadside. I do carry a scissor jack & 4x6" block in my CSC trailer. As you know, when removing a tire from these Lehman's, you have to be raised pretty high.... and it's still a P.I.A. due to being a tight fit. Out of curiosity after all these years, I'm wondering if you owners have ever jacked up on the outer portion of the axle next to the wheel? I personally don't see a reason why you couldn't but.... there may be. Thanks. Ray

I don't have a Honda trike, but I do Jack my Harley Freewheeler under the shock boss @ the end of the axle, unless I want to remove the rear wheels

Removing the rear wheels on a Harley trike is pretty easy, there is a cross member running under the rear part of the body, this works good to let the suspension hang to remove the wheels

It sounds like you have a good plan in place for your trike, I see no reason you cannot jack yours @ the end of the axle

Im like you I use ramps for some of the maintenance but for brakes and pulling wheels I use hydraulic jack stands on the outer sides of the axle. In a pinch Ive jacked up under the pumpkin but the balance is always an issue and dangerous.

IMG_20180609_131320.jpgIMG_20180609_131329.jpg

I don't have a Honda trike, but I do Jack my Harley Freewheeler under the shock boss @ the end of the axle, unless I want to remove the rear wheels

Removing the rear wheels on a Harley trike is pretty easy, there is a cross member running under the rear part of the body, this works good to let the suspension hang to remove the wheels

It sounds like you have a good plan in place for your trike, I see no reason you cannot jack yours @ the end of the axle

Thanks.... My biggest issue is it's a tight fit for removing / installing the tire. I have to be high enough to go in on an angle under the drum brake somewhat, then up onto them. I believe it wouldn't be quite as bad if I could jack up near the wheel. That's awesome that you have some great jacking points! Thanks again. Ray 👍

Bike.jpg

Im like you I use ramps for some of the maintenance but for brakes and pulling wheels I use hydraulic jack stands on the outer sides of the axle. In a pinch Ive jacked up under the pumpkin but the balance is always an issue and dangerous.

View attachment 113389View attachment 113390

Thanks.... Your pic's look familiar..... LOL. It is a balancing act for sure when under the differential. I have my wife push down on one side or the other as I'm placing jack stands. Great to know that these axles can be jacked up on near the wheel. Thanks! Ray 👍

2019-09-10 650 (18).jpg

I had added a long piece under the rear axle that ran from hitch reciever to center stand mount lugs. It stiffened the rear frame too. With the block in place, it jacked it all up as one. Without the block, it let the axle drop. A trike is like a triangle tripod, so if I just needed one side up, I jacked under that side of the axle. If I was pulling wheels, I needed the axle to drop, so then I would jack and even put stands under the frame. I never crawled under there unless the tires were over ramps or the trike on stands.

View attachment 113469

I had added a long piece under the rear axle that ran from hitch reciever to center stand mount lugs. It stiffened the rear frame too. With the block in place, it jacked it all up as one. Without the block, it let the axle drop. A trike is like a triangle tripod, so if I just needed one side up, I jacked under that side of the axle. If I was pulling wheels, I needed the axle to drop, so then I would jack and even put stands under the frame. I never crawled under there unless the tires were over ramps or the trike on stands.

That's pretty awesome! Making everything solid makes great sense! You certainly found a way of of relieving the stress points. In regards to Jack stands and ramps, they're a must in my world as well. Great job!! Ray 👍

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png