Harley Fluids What and Why!

A good quality Dino or Synthetic oil will do the job that meets spec just change it according to or before manufactures spec's and the old Harley motors will go for a long time. I have seen 100.000 plus mile engines on both Syn and Dino oils.

My self I prefer good old HD360 20/50 have tried others and find they work fine too but have come back to good old HD360. I also have found I don't care for the marbles rolling around in the top end sound that most synthetics cause. I have heard this sound with Amzoil, Syn3 and Mobile 1 oils. (not a wear issue with these oils at all just a sound issue, don't care for it) I don't care for Amzoils advertising at all and will not buy it again just a personal choice, it is a very good oil with that said. So for all the Amzoil guys don't rip into me thats just the way it is.

For me HD360 20/50 in engine, Formula + in Primary. Spectro 6 speed Platinum 75/140 in trany or a good quality gear oil, Mobil 1, Bel Ray, and others will do just fine.(do not care for Syn3 at all in a trany and belive it will cause wear issues in time and have seen evidence of this a few times over the years also not a fan of it in the primary either but I personaly am not a fan of Sythetics in the primary anyway)

Below answers some of the questions why good old HD360 is still used as a factory fill on bikes other than CVO models for what it's worth. This is what the MoCo says about HD-360, read lines 4 & 5 and what they say about HD-360 oil. Lines 4 & 5 answer some of the questions raised by many about Harleys HD360 conv oil. The MoCo point on# 8 has considerable value and makes a good point no matter which oil you choose to use. There will be many that still debate this though!!!!

The Following Information was provide by Harley- Davidson Service, 3rd Floor.

1. Why should I use Harley-Davidson motor oil? This is the only available motorcycle oil specially developed for Harley-Davidson motorcycle engines. It is also the only available oil tested for two years by our engineering staff on engine dynamometer stands in Milwaukee and motorcycle track tests at Talladega. And in other tests, Harley-Davidson has found it to be superior to other oils.

2. Can I use aviation oils in my Harley-Davidson? We do not recommend this, because these oils do not contain an important additive that provides good wear protection of the Harley-Davidson engine.

3. What viscosity grade should I use in my Harley-Davidson? The recommended viscosity grade for use in all temperatures is SAE 20W50 Harley-Davidson Oil. The SAE 50 grade is satisfactory in ambient temperatures of 60 deg to 90 deg F, and the SAE 60 grade is appropriate for ambient temperatures above 80 deg to over 100 deg F.

4. At what temperature will Harley-Davidson HD360 break down? This oil has been designed for use at temperatures up to 300 deg F for extended periods with no significant breakdown.

5. What oil temperature is best for my Harley-Davidson? A good oil operating temperature range is 200 deg to 240 deg F. Water condensation and acids tend to build up in the oil if the temperature is consistently below 180 deg F, and oil thickness can become marginal at temperatures above 300 deg F.

6. Does Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil do anything besides lubricate engine parts? Yes. Besides lubricating engine parts and preventing wear, it protects the engine from rust and corrosion, keeps the inside of the engine clean, cools engine parts and "seals in" combustion pressures, prevents foaming, permits easy starting and quick oil circulation, and reduces friction and power loss.

7. Is it true that oil never wears out? No. All motor oils wear out. During normal use, the oil molecules undergo a chemical reaction with oxygen and begin to break down; additives in the oil become depleted; and contaminants like water, gasoline, soot and dust get mixed in with the oil. Therefore, your motorcycle oil needs to be changed at the interval recommended by Harley-Davidson.

8. Can I go longer between oil changes if I put in a new oil filter? No. The filter keeps the oil free of solid matter, but it doesn't remove water, gasoline or acids. Also, it can't pinch-hit for additives that become used up. Follow Harley-Davidson's recommended intervals for oil and oil filter changes, and don't expect a new filter to extend the life of the oil.

9. Is it okay to mix Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil with a different brand? Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil is compatible with other petroleum oils. However, mixing with another oil will reduce the superior engine protection of Harley-Davidson oil, so this should be done only when absolutely necessary.

10. Does it help to put in a can of additive with each oil change? No. Just as you wouldn't add sugar to a bottle of soda, you shouldn't use additives with Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil. It already contains the right additives in the correct amounts to last between recommended oil changes. More additives won't help. In Fact, they might upset the oil chemistry and create problems you wouldn't ordinarily have. Use Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil and forget the extra can of additive. It's money down the drain.
For me good old HD360 20/50 has got the job done.

Take Care All,
Bill G

2014 Touring maintenance manual chart 1-4.

Maintenance schedule says (after 1K service) Engine oil + filter every 5K, Primary oil every 10K, Transmission every 20K.

What are your thoughts?

I'm using Syn3 in motor, Formula+ in Primary, Bel Ray 85W-140 in tranny.

Any tips / tricks to doing the oil filter with the least amount of mess????

Thanks

Bob :Dorag:

Harley Syn. 3.. I have it changed every 5/6 thousand miles, All 3 holes at the same time.
Makes the math easy, I just make an appointment and they do it while I Wait.. Plus the ride to the dealer is in PA 160 miles round trip, So that gives me a excuse to ride, And also make a stop across the river [Delaware] at my club in NY..

Maintenance schedule says (after 1K service) Engine oil + filter every 5K, Primary oil every 10K, Transmission every 20K.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Bob they sell a special half funnel for lack of a better word that slides under the filter between the engine before you loosen the oil filter. It has a channel with a hose hooked to the bottom it that will guide the oil to a container of your choice. They have them available at the dealer it's a very handy cost effective tool to have.

Ride Safe, :)
Bill G

Bob they sell a special half funnel for lack of a better word that slides under the filter between the engine before you loosen the oil filter. It has a channel with a hose hooked to the bottom it that will guide the oil to a container of your choice. They have them available at the dealer it's a very handy cost effective tool to have.

Ride Safe, :)
Bill G

I heard that it did not work that well with a trike because we don't lean and it has no drain angle. I guess I could drive one tire up on a car ramp to get some tilt. Thanks.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I bought all the gadgets that hd sells ... actually pretty good

The drain pan actually fits under the bike and holds all oils

The primary fill funnel actually gets the oil in the primary

The oil filter drain funnel is a little dicey, but if ya get it in the right spot, gets most of the oil in the funnel with only a little mess

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Thats how I service them, engine 5k, primary 10k and trans 20k. The oil filter is just a PIA, I've tried lots of gadgets and still have a mess. I just suck it up and pull the filter, then clean up the mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats how I service them, engine 5k, primary 10k and trans 20k. The oil filter is just a PIA, I've tried lots of gadgets and still have a mess. I just suck it out and pull the filter, then clean up the mess.

I find it best to punch a hole in the filter at the top (OEM filter) and use the funnel. Then I rotate the filter in the OFF direction until the punched hole is at the bottom and leave it until the filter drains down. There may be a small amount still in the filter when removing, but it is a lot better (for me) than just toughing it out and cleaning up a mess!!

Roger

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I have an oil cooler adaptor so the HD oil filter funnel will not fit all the way under the filter. I raise up the right side and then put the filter funnel under the filter as far as I can get it and punch a hole in the bottom end of the filter and let as much of the oil drain as I can, after it has drained a bit you can punch a small hole in the top end to vent it. Doesn't get it all but helps.
I use Mobil 1 & HD filter, Red Line shock proof trans and Red Line Primary. I change everything 4,000 to 5000 miles. Think I will start doing the trans at every other oil change.

Just had my 1K service done and after doing a ton of reading I decided to go with Redline products, my HD dealer stocks it. 20/50 in the engine, V-Twin Primary Case Oil, and the V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof. We've only got about 70 miles since the service, neutral is definitely a lot easier but I think I've got one of the noisy trannies, it still clunks and not just going into 1st gear.

2014 with 18K miles

I am now going to change my Primary fluid (Formula+) every time along with my engine oil (Syn3). That primary fluid really takes a beating.:AGGHH: I am also using 40 ounces of primary fluid (38 ounces is standard wet fill for my primary cover type) per advice of my dealers master tech.

Tranny (BelRay 85W-140) I will continue to change at every other oil change.

Bob :D

Last edited:
mobil 20-50 in engine and primary, redline heavy shockproof in trans in the six speed and spectro in the five speed right now. either one is good top of the line lube.

redline fluids

I am using HD Syn just to avoid any warranty issues. I have been a fan of AMSol in my old bike but have been looking into Redline 20W50 transmission and primary fluids. The specs I have seen are equal or better then Amsoil. Anyone have any experience withe redline products?

I am using HD Syn just to avoid any warranty issues. I have been a fan of AMSol in my old bike but have been looking into Redline 20W50 transmission and primary fluids. The specs I have seen are equal or better then Amsoil. Anyone have any experience withe redline products?
You will not have any warranty issues using any oil as long as it meets the specs. There are many H-D dealers that sell and install Amsoil or RedLine products.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png