Rear tire coming apart mounted in front. (Read 1st post)

Ever hear actual account of rear tire mounted in front/forward rotation coming apart?

• Yes, I have first hand knowledge.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Yes, I heard it second hand.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • yes, I heard it third hand.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 239 95.2%

• Total voters
I use a Michelin Pilot Activ mounted in reverse and never a problem in 60K . I just put a new 2010 Motor Trike Adventure on a 2010 Goldwing and the first thing I did was to install a new Michelin. Usually get 20 to 25K before renewal time.

I have had two MPA installed on two different Trikes. I had them installed backwards and never had a problem. I have always gotten over 25,000 miles on all of them.

I am new to the forum so I must ask a silly question. When you talk about a "rear" tire mounted on the front, are you talking about a rear trike tire or a rear mc tire? I have a 2000 goldfwing/dft, and the stock mc tires are 2 different sizes. I woould like to put a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front but what size tire do I order? Thanks

Welcome, batteryman :)

Rear trike tires are actually car tires. I believe the intent here is to put a rear motorcycle tire on the front wheel of the trike. MPA is definitely a favorite among our members. You just have to select a size of rear motorcycle tire that is comparable to the size current front tire you have. Whether or not to mount it in forward or reverse direction is entirely up to you -- either way, you will get a much longer wearing tire and great handling. There are several discussions of this topic on here. Do a search for "front tires" and you'll find lots of great reading material!

Welcome, batteryman :)

Rear trike tires are actually car tires. I believe the intent here is to put a rear motorcycle tire on the front wheel of the trike. MPA is definitely a favorite among our members. You just have to select a size of rear motorcycle tire that is comparable to the size current front tire you have. Whether or not to mount it in forward or reverse direction is entirely up to you -- either way, you will get a much longer wearing tire and great handling. There are several discussions of this topic on here. Do a search for "front tires" and you'll find lots of great reading material!

Yep....the Michelin Pilot Activ Rear Tire that fits the Gold Wing Front is the same size as a Kawasaki Ninja 250 Rear......ThumbUp

I had a BT45R on my 08 GW Hannigan trike and changed it out after 16,000 miles. The scalloping on the tire made the tire sing. There was still a good amount of tread on the tire. It was mounted in the reverse direction. I just replaced a MPA after 20,500 miles. It also scalloped and had significant vibration at speed, it was also mounted in the reverse rotation. I put another MPA on, but this time I did not mount it in the reverse direction. We'll see how it goes.

I had a BT45R on my 08 GW Hannigan trike and changed it out after 16,000 miles. The scalloping on the tire made the tire sing. There was still a good amount of tread on the tire. It was mounted in the reverse direction. I just replaced a MPA after 20,500 miles. It also scalloped and had significant vibration at speed, it was also mounted in the reverse rotation. I put another MPA on, but this time I did not mount it in the reverse direction. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for that in put. Will be interested in the out come.

I recently had a Mich Pilot Activ installed straight up on my 08 GW Trike. The MC mechanics at this particular company would not install it in the reverse rotation. Fortunately, I did not want to anyway. I personally don't agree with the reverse rotation explanation. The process used to fuse the tire together is better than the tire parent material (rubber) so the probability of coming apart is near zilch.

I recently had a Mich Pilot Activ installed straight up on my 08 GW Trike. The MC mechanics at this particular company would not install it in the reverse rotation. Fortunately, I did not want to anyway. I personally don't agree with the reverse rotation explanation. The process used to fuse the tire together is better than the tire parent material (rubber) so the probability of coming apart is near zilch.

There was a link to an article posted here by Avon Tyres that instructed folks to use reverse rotation. Because of the splice coming apart. That's pretty compelling. But the question is, does everyone manufacturer their tires the same way Avon does?

10,000 miles on my Pilot Activ mounted straight up......just barely startin' to cup a little......no real appreciable Tread wear. Cupping is very minimal right now, and I ride almost constantly in twisties....ThumbUp

There was a link to an article posted here by Avon Tyres that instructed folks to use reverse rotation. Because of the splice coming apart. That's pretty compelling. But the question is, does everyone manufacturer their tires the same way Avon does?

I would almost bet large sums on it,,,,,,,, There is only one way to make a belted tire, and that is to have the belts over lap at a seam. A straight cut butt seam wouldn't last to the end of the block in most cases,,,:Shrug:

When I first bought my current bike (on two wheels) I experienced severe cupping at premature mileage. After I bought a second new tire for the front, ...I upped the tire pressure (above what was suggested in the bike's manual) and to a higher level that was suggested on a forum. The bike handled good in all the weather I rode in and I more than doubled the mileage. The concensus was that tire needed a higher air pressure to do what it was supposed to do, without wearing out prematurely. Don't know how Honda got it wrong in the manual, but....

I understand the braking theory about reversing the direction, but when you do that, you also reverse the tread which moves water out from under the tire.

Doesn't that create handling problems in the rain?

I understand the braking theory about reversing the direction, but when you do that, you also reverse the tread which moves water out from under the tire.

Not for me, and haven't heard any complaints. Someone here was taught at a class that the "other" reason for reversing is what you just said. If a rear tire is in forward rotation, it pushes the water out and right under the rear tires, causing hydroplaning. Reverse it, and the water comes straight back. Of course the question is why doesn't the front tire hydroplane then? I don't know. I have driven mine in the rain that way, and have had no hydroplaning front or rear. Perhaps (?) because the front tire is rounded?

i am riding my second trike--i had these tires put on both of them (backwords)and have rode probably around 25000 miles between the two of them and besides handling as good or better than the original Dunlops the mileage difference in them is unbeleivabe-----5000 miles on the dunlops !

Can't speak for all manufactures but I also bet they are all doing it the same.... Here's what Michelin sent a member of another board.....

September 08, 2010

Mr. Lebaux,

Per our phone conversation regarding the Michelin Pilot Activ, this tire can be used on the front of the trike mounted to run in reverse.

Many consumers use a rear tire and turn it around (tire is mounted opposite to the directional arrows on the sidewall of the tire) to be used on the front.

The rear tread pattern is designed for acceleration while that front tire tread pattern is designed for breaking and stopping. So the tread pattern must be reversed to change it from acceleration to breaking and stopping.

The rear tire is used in these applications because it provides longer wear.

Thanks for choosing Michelin. We appreciate Your business.

Sincerely,
Dale
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

The vocal majority on this board seems to favor the MPA but other boards lean toward the Bridgestone BT45. I'm betting both are such huge improvements over any stock front tire that you'd be happy.

The key here is longer life and better stability. The name on the sidewall is secondary.. ;) ;) ;)

That's exactly my question. I have a respect for hydroplaning since totaling a Toyota Tundra pickup due to that. I also question since a rear tire is designed for acceleration, isn't it capable of braking? After all, rear tires also brake. I'm getting ready for a front tire replacement on my trike and am trying to make a choice. I've gotten 28,000 on front tires when my Goldwing was 2 wheels using Metzler. During the past several years I've seen several Metzlers lose chunks of rubber and won't use them again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png