09 Tri Glide gear change?

Would like your opinion on which would be best to change to giv trike a lower gear.. Some say to go to a smaller drive belt pulley on transmission say 32 to 30 tooth and some saay to go to a smaller sprocket on the primary chain drive on engine shaft. Both would make it easier to pull a trailer and be 2 up on bike.. both take off from dead stop and a more usably 6th gear on the highway with the extra weight. Would it be easier on the motor using one method over the other? It would still accompolish the same thing in the end I think.. What do you all think???:Shrug:

Would like your opinion on which would be best to change to giv trike a lower gear.. Some say to go to a smaller drive belt pulley on transmission say 32 to 30 tooth and some saay to go to a smaller sprocket on the primary chain drive on engine shaft. Both would make it easier to pull a trailer and be 2 up on bike.. both take off from dead stop and a more usably 6th gear on the highway with the extra weight. Would it be easier on the motor using one method over the other? It would still accompolish the same thing in the end I think.. What do you all think???:Shrug:

HD on the 2011 TG switched over to the 30 tooth pulley. I do believe that is the way to go. Changed mine over to the 30 tooth this past winter.

HD on the 2011 TG switched over to the 30 tooth pulley. I do believe that is the way to go. Changed my over to the 30 tooth this past winter.

Same here. I have noticed better aceleration, improved hill climbing. Don't know why HD didn't go with smaller tooth compensator gear in primary. It would be easier to change than the belt pulley. Well, I'm no engineer but they must have a good reason.

There are only 3 ways available to fix the crummy gearing HD stuck the folks who have 09 - 10 Triglides. The first one which is easier and cheaper is to change the transmission sprocket from a 32 tooth to a 30 tooth. The second is to install a Evolution industries 34 tooth sprocket on the engine side of the primary. I wouldn't recommend this change on a trike because it does away with the compensator which could lead to twisting of the output shaft on the crank. The third change is to replace the ring gear on the clutch basket with a 49 tooth gear made by Evolution industries, cost of just the ring gear is on average of $500.

Mosocko3,
I think you meant 30T on the motor shaft, 34 is, I believe, stock. I used the 30T on the motor shaft on my 07/Ultra/CSC with good results. The CSC doesn't give you the option of changing the tranny sprocket. I do agree with you on using the 30T tranny sprocket because he already has a 70 tooth rear. The combination of a 30T motor sprocket with a 70T rear would probably be way too low unless you were going to plow you garden with it!

Dwight

There is one other way you can do it, if you can stand a slight ride-height reduction. It would be easier and cheaper, but it will slightly lower your rear end. You can change the aspect ratio of the rear tires.....just put a tire on that is smaller in overall diameter. If you do the math....you can figure out just what a reduction in gearing you can achieve. A tire that is one inch smaller in diameter will reduce your ride-height by 1/2 inch, but it will give you something like a 4% reduction in overall gearing from 1 all the way through 6. I know there are some space limitations as to what you can do on a TG due to the way the trunk and fender are made and I have never done it on a TG, but it helped my kitted Ultra.

I am not going to beat on Baker, or any other manufacturer, but go read around on some other forums and posts concerning some noise issues and discontent with this particular modification. It seems that chain tension and tensioner issues have been encountered by some folks running the Baker drive-train. I have had my own issues....one needs to do all the research they can and make their on decision on this one. I think most folks have solved it with a switch to one of the aftermarket primary chain tensioners, which I would do with any Harley. I always throw away the MOCO factory self-adjusting tensioner...they run the chain much too tight IMHO and those of some HD Techs. I know.

Occasionally, a 30-tooth will pop-up on e-bay....keep a watch there and one may materialize.

09TriGlide,

I to was waiting on the 30T HD pulley for my Champion kitted CVO. When the kit got here and I still didn't have the HD pulley I asked the parts guy if he could find a different one. I had one from Andrews within 3 or 4 days. HD had backordered the one I was waiting for 3 times. Give Andrews a shot.

Dwight

My remarks above were made as I thought the consideration was for re-gearing the primary. Certainly, the Andrews 30-tooth output would be a fine pulley.

Wow,

Didn't know the 30T was so popular. I have noticed that many of the two wheel HD guys are also changing to the 30T. I've said before that I believe that all of the 6 speed HD's are under geared, looks like more people are comming to the same conclusion.

Dwight

about two weeks ago i ordered the 30 tooth engine sproket for my 10 triglide. It came in yesterday. I thought i had a 32 tooth as stock on my 10 but when i look at the specs in the owner manual it lists the following
primary engine 34
clutch 46
final drive tranny 32
rear wheel 70
now i am sitting here looking at a 4 tooth drop on the motor shaft and thinking i will just rent it out as a tractor...
any imput?
and if the 2011 have gone to a 30 tooth as stated what other gear did they change?
Thanks everybody

rog.....what everybody was talking about here was the 30-tooth to replace the 32-tooth final drive TRANNY pulley.....not the motor sprocket. The 11 models come with the 30-tooth tranny output and nothing else changed.

My advice would be to try and return what you have and order the 30-tooth TRANNY output pulley.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png