Harley Fender bra question

Trampas

1000+ Posts
Reaction score
My question is how do you clean underneath of the bra, I'm sure it's not as tight on fender as the pics show so dirt or dust gets under there, don't want to scratch the paint underneath, have heard to install clear film on fender helps out, and the wind maybe blows it up a little, don't know.

Can you just pull out on the bra and flip it up at the widest part of bra in the front and then clean the fender or do you have to take the tail light lens off and do it that way, looks like this would be time consuming to take the lens off but then it might be the best way, that is the question for those that have the bras, and maybe no one cares about cleaning underneath the bra, just me I like to have everything clean.

All for now Trampas

P.S. The reason for asking this thinking of getting a 2018 hold over or a 2019, I know people that have put bras on because of big rock chips that looks really bad and the bra hides this.

My question is how do you clean underneath of the bra, I'm sure it's not as tight on fender as the pics show so dirt or dust gets under there, don't want to scratch the paint underneath, have heard to install clear film on fender helps out, and the wind maybe blows it up a little, don't know.

Can you just pull out on the bra and flip it up at the widest part of bra in the front and then clean the fender or do you have to take the tail light lens off and do it that way, looks like this would be time consuming to take the lens off but then it might be the best way, that is the question for those that have the bras, and maybe no one cares about cleaning underneath the bra, just me I like to have everything clean.

All for now Trampas

P.S. The reason for asking this thinking of getting a 2018 hold over or a 2019, I know people that have put bras on because of big rock chips that looks really bad and the bra hides this.

Just my opinion.....I think a bra just makes a trike or a car look like a Boy Racers machine ....Just coving up honest road wear with a diaper..:Shrug:

rhino 2, I understand and I don't think much of it either, thinking long term because if I get the trike it will be last one, I will be getting a black one so it really doesn't show as bad as the color or the 2 tones.

All for now Trampas

I've commented on this on another thread, but here goes. I don't like them. I think they look atrocious. Why don't you see exotic or sport cars with them?

I belonged to a Corvette club in Texas a few years back. One of the owners had a bra on his Vette. The paint under it was terrible. Unless you constantly clean under it, it will ruin your paint no matter how tight you keep it. I'm sure there are riders here that have no problem with theirs. I'm just not spending $35K on a bike and then hide it under faux leather covers. These are JMHO.

I have used the 3M clear film on all my trikes. I bought a roll 24" x 60" on the internet and made my own templates. I made 2 sets with plenty left over for replacements.

Trampas, I hope you're right. I just got a 2014 replacement for my totaled 2014 TG. Got it for the same price as I got from insurance and it only had 786 miles on it. The problem is - it's black. :) I've always had red bikes so this is the first black one. Not sure how I'm going to get along with it. Hope it grows on me. :)

I did 3m film on my tri ... the problem with the bra ... you get dirt or sand under them and it will rub off the paint.

I think I paid like $220 for both fenders and side covers and the top of the tour pak ... life time warrantee.

I got a rock chip in one of the fenders and the guy replied it free. No damage to the paint.

The bra's keep condensation, and will rust that fender faster .........It's up too you, BUT I vote no bra, I had a service truck, that I put magnet signs on it for my heating business...I was "thinking" why spend extra money to paint, my name /business, on the side of the truck, when mag signs work??? WOW! How wrong I was, within a few months I had paint bubbling, up under those magnetic signs, my doors were rusted out, it cost me much more to get my truck to a auto body shop, to repair the rust damaged doors that were under the signs...

Ronnie

Thanks for the replies, guess I won't go with the bra either, that's what I like about this forum, you can get answers to questions like this, I don't know anybody that has the fender bras to ask about this, I knew somebody on here would know more I do, LOL

Guess I will go with the clear film and the scuff pads that harley sells for the trike, had them on my last triglide and was happy with them, was asking about the bras for long time use, this will be my last one I get if I get it.

All for now Trampas

Guess I will go with the clear film and the scuff pads that harley sells for the trike, had them on my last triglide and was happy with them, was asking about the bras for long time use, this will be my last one I get if I get it.

All for now Trampas

You might try the window film or clear bra guys ... the Harley stuff, according to my dealer is really hard to put on correctly.

If you're handy with a Xacto knife, buy the material and make your own. Not hard to do and save lots of $$$$$$

You might try the window film or clear bra guys ... the Harley stuff, according to my dealer is really hard to put on correctly.

Hey Trampas. I bought the kit from my Harley dealer. Put it on myself. Was really easy to install. Works great. That is, if the rock or bug decides to hit where the film is installed. I put mine on. The first time I went out after the install, a rock or a hard shell bug hit the fender about an 1/8th inch to the outside and nicked the paint. The paint is not as good as it used to be. Don't care for the leather bra thing. Good luck. Jerry

I am a minority of one here but I like the protection the fender bras provide for my TG. Dirt damaging the paint underneath is an urban myth to me since I've had them two years without any such problem. I respect that some don't like the look but, like everything else in this life, to each his own. ThumbUp :cool:

I am a minority of one here but I like the protection the fender bras provide for my TG. Dirt damaging the paint underneath is an urban myth to me since I've had them two years without any such problem. I respect that some don't like the look but, like everything else in this life, to each his own. ThumbUp :cool:

I respect your view, but I know for a fact that paint is damaged over time with a bra, maybe not every single time (you're an example) or if not meticulously taken care of. Do you also have a bra on your automobile?? If not why not? I've never understood the concept of buying a vehicle and then covering it up....unless it's a show car.

I still say the clear plastic film (there are different thicknesses) is better, cheaper and lets the beauty of your paint job show. I have even replaced a section once after it got dinged up a lot. No damage to the paint.

JMHO and as you say, to each his own. If you're happy, that's all that matters. ThumbUp

My Old man back in the 50's and very early 60's Buy a new car, Drive it out of the dealers and go across the street to Rayco.[long gone] and have the seats coved in plastic ...

And we as kids would have to put up with hot sticky seats in the summer and cold frozen seats in the winter, Then every two years when he traded the car in for a new one, He would cover the new seats....And the first thing the new owner and or the dealer would do is rip the covers off and have nice new comfortable seats for the new owners kids to sit on....:xzqxz:

My Old man back in the 50's and very early 60's Buy a new car, Drive it out of the dealers and go across the street to Rayco.[long gone] and have the seats coved in plastic ...

And we as kids would have to put up with hot sticky seats in the summer and cold frozen seats in the winter, Then every two years when he traded the car in for a new one, He would cover the new seats....And the first thing the new owner and or the dealer would do is rip the covers off and have nice new comfortable seats for the new owners kids to sit on....:xzqxz:

Thats funny my father was the opposite. He bought a new 55 Ford and his friend asked if he was gonna put covers on the seats. He said no. As we drove away I asked him why. His answer was, I bought this car for me Billy not somebody else. And I've always felt the same way.

Thats funny my father was the opposite. He bought a new 55 Ford and his friend asked if he was gonna put covers on the seats. He said no. As we drove away I asked him why. His answer was, I bought this car for me Billy not somebody else. And I've always felt the same way.

Exactly how us kids felt.....But what counted was how the old Man felt...:D

And thats why when i trade or sell , I''ll dust it off a little but thats it,

Go to a Line-X dealer and have them color match your paint job and put it on your fenders.

Just as ugly as a bra (maybe), but could withstand a cinder block hitting it at 60mph. :D

My 51 ford had plastic covers, I would armorall the front right side 1/2 for my date and make aggressive right hand turns. :friends:

I respect your view, but I know for a fact that paint is damaged over time with a bra, maybe not every single time (you're an example) or if not meticulously taken care of. Do you also have a bra on your automobile?? If not why not? I've never understood the concept of buying a vehicle and then covering it up....unless it's a show car.

I still say the clear plastic film (there are different thicknesses) is better, cheaper and lets the beauty of your paint job show. I have even replaced a section once after it got dinged up a lot. No damage to the paint.

JMHO and as you say, to each his own. If you're happy, that's all that matters. ThumbUp

I have had a bra on my black 16 for almost two years. About once every couple of months I take it off and wash/wax underneath. You do have to take the taillights off to remove them but it isn't that big of a deal. Since the inside of the bra is a soft material I see no ill effects from having it on.

I've heard that paint may be damaged over time but no one has ever really ever proven that to me or said what "over time" really means. I know for a fact that without protection my fenders would need to be repainted by now. I think my black bras look okay on my black bike and could care less what anyone else may think. I didn't buy a trike to impress anyone else, I bought it to ride for as long as possible.

I have had a bra on my black 16 for almost two years. About once every couple of months I take it off and wash/wax underneath. You do have to take the taillights off to remove them but it isn't that big of a deal. Since the inside of the bra is a soft material I see no ill effects from having it on.

I've heard that paint may be damaged over time but no one has ever really ever proven that to me or said what "over time" really means. I know for a fact that without protection my fenders would need to be repainted by now. I think my black bras look okay on my black bike and could care less what anyone else may think. I didn't buy a trike to impress anyone else, I bought it to ride for as long as possible.

I don't have to remove my taillights to clean mine. I also wax the fenders while they are off.

I totally agree that I don't care about what anyone else thinks of my Freewheeler. I plan to ride it as long as I can.:Dorag:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png