Clear fender bra's

We have a guy in town that does window shades on cars and trucks that did my tri and three or four ultra's ... it's a 3m product, clear and it's warranted for life ... fairly reasonable. It's the same product they use on vehicle fronts to prevent rock chips. On my tri it was like $250 for both fenders, the side covers and the tour pak under the luggage rack (the tail on my monkey scratches the paint).

We have a guy in town that does window shades on cars and trucks that did my tri and three or four ultra's ... it's a 3m product, clear and it's warranted for life ... fairly reasonable. It's the same product they use on vehicle fronts to prevent rock chips. On my tri it was like $250 for both fenders, the side covers and the tour pak under the luggage rack (the tail on my monkey scratches the paint).

The tail on your monkey??? :xzqxz:

Have you used this product?

I have Sir ...

I have also done a Champion trike 's fender fronts for a friend and it came out well. First time or so, you'll need extra 'cause you'll mess something up.

You might, for practice, make one or more using static cling window tint, it's cheap, is capable of being removed & reused, and in 5% VLT, looks black. I used 5% VLT static cling window tint for several years, even waxed it (take care when washing, no strong water stream .... but then I don't use strong water streams on a MC).

I have since made and applied bras cut from a thick adheasive backed textured vinyl .... looks great IMHO. I am tempted to do them with Line-X but these look so nice still .... maybe not?

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/29979-quot-DIY-quot-Lehman-GTL-Fender-Bras

Best is subjective. I was asking the same question when converting to a trike. The product I settled on is a 3M spray coating. It held up well until the 2 week run from the FL panhandle to Deadwood, SD. I was on the way home when I got a chip in the coating. I'm pretty sure it happened on an Interstate but don't know if it was if it was an 80 or 70 mph limit road. The bottom line is that the chip went thru the coating and the paint! Since there's no easy (inexpensive) way to fix it, the advice was to live with it.

I'm not betting 3M on a roll will perform any better.

Best is subjective. I was asking the same question when converting to a trike. The product I settled on is a 3M spray coating. It held up well until the 2 week run from the FL panhandle to Deadwood, SD. I was on the way home when I got a chip in the coating. I'm pretty sure it happened on an Interstate but don't know if it was if it was an 80 or 70 mph limit road. The bottom line is that the chip went thru the coating and the paint! Since there's no easy (inexpensive) way to fix it, the advice was to live with it.

I'm not betting 3M on a roll will perform any better.

Did mine myself, here are a couple pics.

Trike 1 002.JPGTrike 1 003.JPGTrike 1 004.JPG

I would give SeeThruBraz a shot. At least contact them if they don't have a kit that wilwork. They may have something that isn't listed. Or might work with you to make a special order for you. Worth giving Allen the owner a try. I think that's his name. Been awhile since I worked with him and I've slept since then. :D:p:Shrug: I've worked with him on Indian fender bra that catches every rock coming it's way.:( His stuff works well and I've had guys look directly at my fender and not see the bra. Good stuff he has.:clapping:

?

More details please, what kind of coating is that? Looks really good.

The silver stripe is GM metallic silver (rattle can) matches my helmet and the silver on the wing.

Black is Hurculiner (rattle can) bed coating, I chose it over other brands because the texture was finer and it had a sheen to it.

All the other bed liners I tested had a dull finish and a coarse texture to it that I thought would be hard to get bugs off of.

I have been running it this way for about 500 miles, now damage and the clean up is easy.

The bed coating has a rubber feeling to it so over time I think it will take the rock hits and keep going.

An advantage to it is if it ever does take a hit I can go back and recoat it, it has 2 light coats and the last coat I put on a little thicker.

I was looking for options so I didn't have to repaint all of the Orange, my fenders had taken some hits from the inside and outside.

When I did the outside of the fenders I also did the complete inside another brand of bed liner, can't remember the brand but it had a more coarse texture.

RUMRUNR, many thanks for detailed report. I too was thinking the 'rough coating' would be a problem cleaning the bug guts off. I get courage, I sure will give it a try, maybe first under the fenders. Was there special prep?

RUMRUNR, many thanks for detailed report. I too was thinking the 'rough coating' would be a problem cleaning the bug guts off. I get courage, I sure will give it a try, maybe first under the fenders.

You are welcome, the stuff takes a couple of days to cure and dry, if you do use it make sure you cover the trike completely.

When you do the inside of the fenders cover the discs and rotors, I used trash bags.

I used 2" wide masking tape on the outer edge of the fender and then used heavy paper up on the fenders, covered the whole trike with blankets.

I cut the 2" wide tape flush with the inside lip of the fenders using an sharp exacto knife.

This stuff likes to over spray and float in the air, my shop stunk for a week.

Sometimes I give more info than is necessary, just giving info from my experience.

Thanks again for the details, more information is much better than not enough.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question about prep.

I used thinner to de-grease 1st, just don't go wild and get it on areas you aren't painting.

The paint on the trike is base coat / clear coat, I scuffed it real well with 220 grit to get a bite into the clear, there's no goin' back at this point.

Make sure you sand well right up to your tape line.

Used a tack cloth to remove the sanding dust then paint.

I did test it on another piece of painted metal using the same process before I did the trike, let it set 3 days and tried to scrape it off with my fingernail.

Then I tried a razor blade, no effect, it was stuck.

Yea ... hasn't your monkey tail ever scratched the paint on your trike???

Guess not.... now you make me feel underprivileged that I don’t have one...:( that is, I think I feel underprivileged...but then maybe not...I don’t know, I’m confused...maybe a picture would help? :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png