Brakes and Clutch

If you zoom in on the number of that master cylinder, it is merely a standard VW bug early style master cylinder. You can go to your local NAPA parts store and get one pretty much identical for cheaper. You can probably buy the res from them as well. Then you don't have to rely on Ebay sellers shipping the product to ya.

If you zoom in on the number of that master cylinder, it is merely a standard VW bug early style master cylinder. You can go to your local NAPA parts store and get one pretty much identical for cheaper. You can probably buy the res from them as well. Then you don't have to rely on Ebay sellers shipping the product to ya.

I will go and price one out there thanks, plus I would have to get the ebay seller to ship it to canada

What year would I ask for?

Ok.
That is not what I am talking about.
The mock up is excellent for helping understand the mechanical connection to the master cylinder.*
But what you are moving there is a near zero load.
Now you have to be able to consume the kinetic energy of 1200 lbs traveling at 70mph and convert it to heat.
You don't want a peddle that takes 800 lbs of force on it to stop you. This is where a mechanical advantage comes in. By multiplying the input with the ratio of levers and piston sizes you can create *a lot of force.
It will take a small diameter master and a large slave to do this. You will need to change the wheel cylinders on the back also.

Brakes and clutch

Right on point Death. Here's a link that demonstrates the master/slave relationship. http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/hydraulic1.htm One thing to notice is that the bigger cylinder has less stroke displacement than the smaller cylinder. So if your master cylinder is too small in relation to your slave you might not have enough stroke to apply the needed pressure to the brake shoes. Also consider the mechanical ratio of the pedal from foot pad to pivot and pivot to master cylinder tab. If you don't get this correct you might end up having to move your foot 18" to get enough stroke on the master cylinder to develop enough hydraulic pressure to push the shoes out and stop you. Could get exciting!

Remember when you were sitting in high school math class wondering "When am I ever going to use this stuff?" Well, here it is.

Another approach is to look at the pictures posted from other builds. If you can find something in the picture that you know the dimensions of, you can usually "guestimate" the dimensions that they are using.

Exactly vwbug.
Thanks for posting the link!
That is why I do not recommend using a motorcycle master cylinder. Just not enough displacement, even more so for drum brakes. The automotive /dune buggy stuff usually have more stroke length.
Still I would stay 17mm (11/16) to 19mm (3/4) master size and the 22.8mm super beetle front slaves nice condition drums and quality shoes. Or even better yet, get disc brakes.

We may need some help from the guys who know some more history.*
But from what I remember. ..
The dual cylinder came in 66 or 67.
So i am gonna say 52 to 65 beetle if you are looking for cheap.
I like that aluminum buggy one you found before.

We may need some help from the guys who know some more history.*
But from what I remember. ..
The dual cylinder came in 66 or 67.
So i am gonna say 52 to 65 beetle if you are looking for cheap.
I like that aluminum buggy one you found before.

yeah it was nicer looking and looked more for a bike, but it cost more and I would have to get it shipped into Canada

your talking about this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unpolished-...ggy-/161295912965?hash=item258dfc5005&vxp=mtr

Yep that one.
Also solves the problem of mounting the resivoir and/or rubber grommet/ tube of a stock type master.*
I don't have the room for it on mine.
So take in account where you are gonna mount it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png