Brakes and Clutch

Excellent points Deathbysnusnu!!!

The master cylinder you linked is pretty much the same as a stock VDub. You should be able to pick one up at NAPA for around the same price as the one linked and have it in a day or two.

You can go to NAPA and order one for a late 60's bug. That would most likely be quicker than going through Ebay.

Nothing wrong with a cable pull. Don't last very long with monster clutches. Scary when sitting at a red light with it in gear and clutch pressed just waiting....... and snap and you are headed across the intersection ready or not. But i remiss.... with a stockish clutch no problem just inspect it regularly.
Now unless you are gonna used solid motor/trans mounts you will have to have a flex point. Vw does this with a bowden tube. Use it or the clutch will shake/chatter while engaging.

The rear brakes on a car are only a small part of the stopping power. On a trike the rear is near all the stopping power.

Stock vw brakes are sadly weak for stopping by themselves. I would at least put super beetle front slave cylinders on the back with decent condition drums and new quality shoes.
Since you will only be using the rear brakes you will need a single piston/curcuit master cyl. Drum brakes take a good bit of displacement to fill up then build pressure. I personally would not use a motorcycle master on car drums. Go with a buggy/vw single master in the 17mm to 19mm bore size.

Make sure your peddle and lever have the travel to push it way down the bore to get your displacement.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheapest thing I see.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/311008018755?nav=SEARCH

I can't find anything from a buggy/vw single master in the 17mm to 19mm bore size that looks like forward controls for a bike, I don't real like the look of the pedals hanging down off of the master cylinder, wish I could find something that looks more bikeish lol

That style of master cylinder in the link you put up, would it be able to work with my forward controls somehow?

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent points Deathbysnusnu!!!

The master cylinder you linked is pretty much the same as a stock VDub. You should be able to pick one up at NAPA for around the same price as the one linked and have it in a day or two.

You can go to NAPA and order one for a late 60's bug. That would most likely be quicker than going through Ebay.

I have a new master cylinder from a bug somewhere around here only used an old one in the pics because it was the first one I seen

I do use a modified motorcycle peddle on my vw master cyl. If you get your ratio and lengths right you can make that work.
Now that is the wrong type of master cyl. But the single unit mounts the same.

I do use a modified motorcycle peddle on my vw master cyl. If you get your ratio and lengths right you can make that work.
Now that is the wrong type of master cyl. But the single unit mounts the same.

Yes I can get a different master cylinder and make up a rod to make it work? Why could I just block off the front brake on a vw bug master cylinder and just use the back brake side of it?

It don't work that way. It has to displace and come up to pressure too.
Sorta like you could block off the gas line and you would use absolutely no gas at all.
It just don't work that way.

Sorry for sounding so uhhhh snarky.
No offense intended friend. Not very social, I get along with machines better than I do with people.

- - - Updated - - -

In this pic you can see my unusually long for a motorcycle brake lever and the vw master cylinder mounted down the frame tube.

5289483006_9e2fd38240_o_zpswlhbwjpz.jpg

Sorry for sounding so uhhhh snarky.
No offense intended friend. Not very social, I get along with machines better than I do with people.

- - - Updated - - -

In this pic you can see my unusually long for a motorcycle brake lever and the vw master cylinder mounted down the frame tube.

5289483006_9e2fd38240_o_zpswlhbwjpz.jpg

did you just use a normal vw master cylinder? do you got a better pic of your set up?

I forgot to get a pic of the lever. But i have a pic of the master cylinder.*

I use a 22mm master, but I have front disc brakes on the back of mine, plus a fairly long lever.

Single piston/circuit master.

20141208_094900_zpschkzzcdl.jpg

That does look like it would work.
Now to figure out how to get it on the scooter.

Mine is very similar. I cut the pivot out of the bracket and welded it in where I wanted it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michigander
Back