front tire for trike

Oct 10, 2019
Buchanan, Michigan
Is there a different style front tire for a trike of any kind? I heard somewhere that a trike does not need a front tire designed for a two wheeler but rather one designed for a trike. The idea is that a trike front wheel is more like a car tire and therefore needs a different design. I am beginning to believe that this is not true as i cannot find anything on the net. Your observations and experience would be greatly approciated.

Is there a different style front tire for a trike of any kind? I heard somewhere that a trike does not need a front tire designed for a two wheeler but rather one designed for a trike. The idea is that a trike front wheel is more like a car tire and therefore needs a different design. I am beginning to believe that this is not true as i cannot find anything on the net. Your observations and experience would be greatly approciated.

There is multiple post concerning trike front tire. You can do a search and come up with 30+ post. Here is one for your review:

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/45222-Avon-front-tire?highlight=avon+trike+tire

The Avon Chrome trike specific tire will my be next one soon.

Trying not to ask a stupid question here:

BUT why mount it (bT45 tire) backwards? , I mean what is the reason? advantage?

I thought (here I go "thinking again") that tires were made to shed water away from the grooves, to give us a better smooth'rrr/safer ride...

Ronnie

Trying not to ask a stupid question here:

BUT why mount it (bT45 tire) backwards? , I mean what is the reason? advantage?

I thought (here I go "thinking again") that tires were made to shed water away from the grooves, to give us a better smooth'rrr/safer ride...

Ronnie

I don't know the science behind it. It has to do with how the bias ply rear tires are constructed. I do know that a lot more smarter people than me are doing it. Have been for years. I ran my BT 45 on my VTX backwards for 6 years. The water groves are not in play if you think about it. You are only using about 2.5" of the center of the tire. Putting the 46 on my Wing this week.

BT 45 in forward position here…. excellent!

I too never fully understood why people run these tires backwards...

I mentioned it to my mechanic when I was going to change and he told me there was no true advantage to running it backwards.. said it's like some people like mayonnaise and others prefer mustard.

So we put it on in forward position... that was 2015... and to the day I sold the Gold Wing trike this past February that tire never showed any signs of abnormal wear or cupping, no dry rot cracks. I had put 12,000+ miles on it - a lot of that was chip seal curvy roads here in the hill country of Texas.

I too never fully understood why people run these tires backwards...

I mentioned it to my mechanic when I was going to change and he told me there was no true advantage to running it backwards.. said it's like some people like mayonnaise and others prefer mustard.

So we put it on in forward position... that was 2015... and to the day I sold the Gold Wing trike this past February that tire never showed any signs of abnormal wear or cupping, no dry rot cracks. I had put 12,000+ miles on it - a lot of that was chip seal curvy roads here in the hill country of Texas.

When I sold mine I had 25,000 running in reverse.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png