Tri Glide trunk lock

Trunk lock

On my 2012, I use a firm hand to close the trunk and I lock it every time. Have not had an issue yet.

When the tri glide was new, the rear trunk opened one time. I have used dry silicone lube and no problems. I learned not to slam, push and pull, then lock. Jim

Probably from "slamming" the trunk door closed!! Mine broke the plastic that holds it in and I just had a new lock installed and adjusted by the HD Technician and now all I have to do is push it shut and press with the palm of my hand and it works better than it did new (2013 TriGlide). Also during the experience we ordered a new "black plastic" housing that broke and fixed the existing OEM lock. When mine finally broke, the push button came almost out and I just took a hold of what was sticking out and it came out very easy.

Bottom line, "do not slam the door closed" as the plastic that holds the lock in will not take it. If you have to slam the door, use a small amount of WD-40 and continue to close it easy and press to latch with the palm of your hand. Works for me anyway!!!

Roger

Excellent advice....the trunk lock on my 09 TG literally "flew" across the garage floor! Yes, I was slamming the door shut. After HD tech instructions, I gently close and lock trunk.:p

On my '13 I push on the trunk 'til I hear a click than push hard one more time 'til I hear a second click. Then lock it.....no problems with it coming open. Think 'slamming' it would break something..

8~\o

On my '13 I push on the trunk 'til I hear a click than push hard one more time 'til I hear a second click. Then lock it.....no problems with it coming open. Think 'slamming' it would bread something..

8~\o

I guarantee that "slamming it" will eventually break the plastic that holds the lock set in place!! Don't ask me how I know!!:mad:

Roger

Just got back from dealer

Had lock replaced and adjusted under warrenty. Will see if this works

I have had multiple locking / unlocking issues with my 2015 Tri-Glide. Mentioned it to dealer at my last service and they adjusted and oiled it. No problem since.
I did see a nice older couple have their trunk pop open on the Patriots ride from Fairfax to Rolling Thunder at the Pentagon last year. Fortunately I was able to get up them and tell them before their gear fell out. I was 3 bikes back from them in the alternate row and I couldn't believe that the guy directly behind them made no effort to tell them!

The dealer told me to push the door closed, don't slam it. My 2019 door poped open once so far on the first ride, rough road. Trip back was OK, 72 miles on it now.

On my 11 Tri-Glide i had the door pop open twice ,And so i took a very small 9 inch bungie hooked it from one to the other lanyard support cable and the tension was just enough to keep it from popping open...50+ k on that one And i did the same on my 17 Tri-Glide only 8k+ on that one before i sold it...

Since I started this thread 2 yrs ago, figured I should update. 32,000 miles later, trunk only popped one time (a long time ago) Dealer did a small adjustment & has not done it since. That was over a year a half ago. Gently push closed & lock. Ride safe everyone that can still ride. Winter Woes already. Maybe need to move in with Lady On a Mission. Janiene & I will be there soon Lola. lololol:laugh:

8 years, 3 TG's and over 75K miles and I've never had a trunk lock problem. I slowly close the door until it contacts the lock and then a firm little push. Catches every time. I've also never had the door open while riding either.

I see other riders constantly slamming the door - no wonder they don't work. Weren't you ever told when you were a kid "Never slam or force anything"? :D

I have had a long history of my 15 TG trunk popping open. I put a washer under the trunk lid plunger to give it a little added height. On a trip to Louisiana from Indiana last October, it was still popping open. I stopped at a Wal Mart in Arkansas on the way back home and bought another washer and that added thickness made all the difference. It never popped open again the rest of the way home.

You would think an expensive machine like the TG would have a better locking system.

My 11 Tri's trunk when it was new would pop open '' After the second time i very carefully adjusted the latch pin [spade] and it hasn't opened since then... Once last summer for the first time i locked the trunk' and it took a heck of a time to unlock it... That was the first time i ever locked it and the last... Probably dirt got in it...:Shrug:

I keep my 2012 truck locked at all times. I also give it a tug once it's closed. A few drops of 3-in-1 oil keeps it fresh.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png