Air Filter Dilema

Anti Sieze would be a better choice, it fills in the threads BUT makes for easier removal with out damage to threads;)

Agreed, especially the environment they live in. I've been a friend of anti seize since my early days in engine rooms. I especially like in in exhaust applications. The end caps on my E Series Slip ons have it on the bolts that hold them on. The exhaust head connection to Head pipe studs get that too.

Agreed, especially the environment they live in. I've been a friend of anti seize since my early days in engine rooms. I especially like in in exhaust applications. The end caps on my E Series Slip ons have it on the bolts that hold them on. The exhaust head connection to Head pipe studs get that too.

Too many folks do not understand how Anti Sieze fills in and lubes the threads allowing for easier removal BUT it helps maintain the fasteners holding abilities, My Dad the best MECHANIC I knew taught me very young. And there is a HUGE difference in mechanics and techs ( I call them component replacement people) where true mechanics rebuild not just replace parts;)

If you need parts to replace let me know. I removed the football off Old Shiney and stored the parts I have everything but the center of the air cleaner cover. I used that on the Boyeson X force I installed. For the cost of the shipping you can have what you need. :Shrug:Travel afe Fred

Thanks, Fred! When I make the attempt to get it off and break something, I'll be in touch.:clapping:

They should have no loc Tite. I like to use anti sieze here instead. It fills in the threads but will NOT lock up unlike Loc Tite , I believe the torque setting is 40-60 inch pounds. Keep in mind you will be servicing this filter so be careful with loc tite

After removing the OEM air cleaner at about 5K miles and replacing it with the K & N, I've never used Loc-Tite on those bolts and they were properly torqued. The K & N came off every 5K after that to be soaked and cleaned. Still, no Loc-Tite. Can't figure out what caused this until I get it apart, unless the indy I had do the front wheel bearings, brakes and fluids change last summer pulled it to check it.

As I told Fred, I'll know when I start to take it apart and break something!

Too many folks do not understand how Anti Sieze fills in and lubes the threads allowing for easier removal BUT it helps maintain the fasteners holding abilities, My Dad the best MECHANIC I knew taught me very young. And there is a HUGE difference in mechanics and techs ( I call them component replacement people) where true mechanics rebuild not just replace parts;)

:clapping:

Kevin

[
QUOTE=Mykneesbehurtin;741189]Have owned one of these for years and they do work.Try riding it until it reaches a good temp may be enough to loosen the locktite up or using a pencil torch head the head of the bolt head then let it set for about 5 minutes to let the heat to travel the length of the bolt before trying to remove.
Every toolbox should have one. It was the only way to keep from destroying the points cover screws on my fist Honda.[/QUOTE]

I somehow ended up with two...:xzqxz:...that's good in case one goes 10 mm socket on me!

Larry

Well, seein' as how we've got a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum, I followed all y'all's advice and ordered the Craftsman Hand Impact Driver and a box of ten #27 High-Impact Torx Bits. They'll be here Friday. Then I'll tackle getting this air cleaner off on Saturday - supposed to rain all weekend.

I'll let all y'all know what parts I broke early next week!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, seein' as how we've got a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum, I followed all y'all's advice and ordered the Craftsman Hand Impact Driver and a box of ten #27 High-Impact Torx Bits. They'll be here Friday. Then I'll tackle getting this air cleaner off on Saturday - supposed to rain all weekend.

I'll let all y'all know what parts I broke early next week!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good deal and good luck on your project;) No tool box is complete with out an impact driver;)

I had time to check a couple of my shop manuals, I did not see any recommendations of Loc Tite on the air filter bolts, however I still use anti sieze on mine;)

Good deal and good luck on your project;) No tool box is complete with out an impact driver;)

For sure.
icon14.png

the offer still stands. Fred

Continuing the Saga....

All the tools, Torx bits and crappy weather rolled in over the last week and it's been too cold in the garage to comfortably work.

This morning I decided enough is enough and went to the cold garage to see how much progress I could make. I quickly found out the Impact driver was just that and snapped off what was supposed to be a high impact #27 Torx bit! So, I put the impact driver down, got my ratchet handle, adapter, and another high impact Torx bit. This one didn't snap! It just twisted like a Dairy Queen soft serve ice cream cone!

Enough of this nonsense! Grabbed the drill and a bit and went to work drilling off the bolt heads. Pop! Off came number one! Drill some more and Pop! Off came number two! Drill some more and, well you get the picture! With the bolt heads all removed, the bracket and filter slipped right off with no problem.

Here's where it gets wierd. I was able to wiggle one bolt before I locked the vise grips on it. Tried to turn it with my fingers and it came right out! Tried the other two. Yep, came right out. Just a hint of the white Harley wax thread coating on each one.

Somewhere between the filter and the bracket, these bolts were bound up so tight it was twisting and snapping the Torx bits!

Now, as soon as we need to make the "essential" trip for groceries, Lowe's is right next door and I'll slip over there to get hex or allen head bolts to replace the ones I drilled out.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions.

BTW, the only thing I "broke" were the Torx bits and the bolts I drilled out! Amazing :clapping:;););)

All the tools, Torx bits and crappy weather rolled in over the last week and it's been too cold in the garage to comfortably work.

This morning I decided enough is enough and went to the cold garage to see how much progress I could make. I quickly found out the Impact driver was just that and snapped off what was supposed to be a high impact #27 Torx bit! So, I put the impact driver down, got my ratchet handle, adapter, and another high impact Torx bit. This one didn't snap! It just twisted like a Dairy Queen soft serve ice cream cone!

Enough of this nonsense! Grabbed the drill and a bit and went to work drilling off the bolt heads. Pop! Off came number one! Drill some more and Pop! Off came number two! Drill some more and, well you get the picture! With the bolt heads all removed, the bracket and filter slipped right off with no problem.

Here's where it gets wierd. I was able to wiggle one bolt before I locked the vise grips on it. Tried to turn it with my fingers and it came right out! Tried the other two. Yep, came right out. Just a hint of the white Harley wax thread coating on each one.

Somewhere between the filter and the bracket, these bolts were bound up so tight it was twisting and snapping the Torx bits!

Now, as soon as we need to make the "essential" trip for groceries, Lowe's is right next door and I'll slip over there to get hex or allen head bolts to replace the ones I drilled out.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions.

BTW, the only thing I "broke" were the Torx bits and the bolts I drilled out! Amazing :clapping:;););)
Great news good to go back together. I have had the same thing happen with scope mounts on rifles. Fred

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png