ATV rear differential?

Artifex75

Mar 10, 2017
Chillicothe oh
I've got a 1990 Honda Shadow VT100 (shaft drive). I bought it with the intention of turning it into a trike due to inner ear/balance issues that I have.

I know where I can get a Geo Tracker rear axle, and I'm probably capable of welding it up, but I've got this crazy idea. Why couldn't I use an ATV rear differential? I'm looking at these things and they look like they'd need very little modifications. The bigger ATVs have beefy axles that look like they could handle it.

I can't find any info on people using them and I'm assuming that there's some good reason. So, who's going to talk me out of this crazy notion?

reply to thread

Jeremy.....welcome to trike talk...sounds like it should be considered, if rotation of drive shaft and axle match....the rims and tires would have to be capable of trike speeds, also consider brake capability. the narrow width would be a plus....others with more knowledge than I will hopefully chime in! larry

ATV's Do not have a differential....You can not ride on black top[Street] You will flip it the first time you make a sharp turn......Ive had 3 ATC's and Still have ATV's...

Get the GEO rear...it's a good choice if it came from a car. Might not need to "chop/narrow" rear as a wider rear is better for better stability. Just saying. But get the width somewhere around 50"-54" is ideal. Drum brakes on rear are fine as bike is lighter in weight than most Gold Wings. Might have to add a "brake pressure thing" to increase pressure to rears than. The rear gear ratio would be about right(3.50's) with a tall (26-28") 15" tire. Use the stock driveshaft (cut & extend & re-weld) for correct length but you may have to use the GEO rear u-joint item. Use stock shocks. Keep the rear open to look at your cool work OR .......I got a trike body or two...kid. Sell you one for a price. I got a VT1100 myself...been thinking about it before the Wing build. Might still do it to the Shadow.

2Tz

might guess youve be talked out of it... i will add... most atvs are a tad narrow and i would be hesitant on the strength.... i will admit i ran into a vet who lost a leg... couldnt afford much... had a straight axle, narrow (no diff at all) he road all over the east coast.. i wouldnt though but thats me g luck whatever you decide to do

Love my atv back-have trikes. They handle awesome and rip through the corners. Easily keep up with buddies on street bikes.

Attachments

• gsxr6 trike.jpg
    gsxr6 trike.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 158
  • FAZER TRIKE.jpg
    FAZER TRIKE.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 153
Dave, Sweet looking bikes...aren't those live axle rears sorta squirrely in the corners?
Not at all. Obviously you have to set them up right and learn how to lean in the corners and they handle like a go kart. I just get them as low as they can go, set a good trail/rake, stiffen up suspension, run dual linear steering dampers and use custom extended axles. The newer sport bikes are lightweight and have stout rigid frames allowing for very little body roll. Before building my Trikes I rode my buddies harley trike, it was comfy but definitely not made for ripping through corners. The difference between his trike and my trikes through the corners is night and day.

Not at all. Obviously you have to set them up right and learn how to lean in the corners and they handle like a go kart. I just get them as low as they can go, set a good trail/rake, stiffen up suspension, run dual linear steering dampers and use custom extended axles. The newer sport bikes are lightweight and have stout rigid frames allowing for very little body roll. Before building my Trikes I rode my buddies harley trike, it was comfy but definitely not made for ripping through corners. The difference between his trike and my trikes through the corners is night and day.

if you get the trail set right you shouldnt need any damper at all!!

if you get the trail set right you shouldnt need any damper at all!!
Maybe with the standard big heavy cruiser trikes, definitely not with Sport Trikes!! With dual adjustable dampers you can dial steering in perfectly for high speed cornering on a Sport trike. Cruiser trikes....Sport trikes....two different ball games, set-up differently and meant for different uses.

Maybe with the standard big heavy cruiser trikes, definitely not with Sport Trikes!! With dual adjustable dampers you can dial steering in perfectly for high speed cornering on a Sport trike. Cruiser trikes....Sport trikes....two different ball games, set-up differently and meant for different uses.

could you please explain what the two dampers do for you?

you had written " set a good trail/rake," what do you consider good rake and trail?

also you said " I rode my buddies harley trike, it was comfy but definitely not made for ripping through corners. The difference between his trike and my trikes through the corners is night and day."

but if the harley motor was in your trike do you think it would be made "for ripping up the corners"?

could you please explain what the two dampers do for you?

you had written " set a good trail/rake," what do you consider good rake and trail?

also you said " I rode my buddies harley trike, it was comfy but definitely not made for ripping through corners. The difference between his trike and my trikes through the corners is night and day."

but if the harley motor was in your trike do you think it would be made "for ripping up the corners"?
Dont really have the time to explain Steering Dampers but I'm sure with a little research you could find your answer as to how they work. As far as trail/rake I'm sure you know every trike is different as is rider preference. This site has some excellent threads on the subject which may help you out.

Dont really have the time to explain Steering Dampers but I'm sure with a little research you could find your answer as to how they work. As far as trail/rake I'm sure you know every trike is different as is rider preference. This site has some excellent threads on the subject which may help you out.

i know how a damper works...:) i am trying to figure what you use it for

maybe i am missing something

not sure what you would call my trike sport touring or what certainly not new lol

its a vmax used a set of modified harley sidecar trees to reduce the trail... never needed a damper much less two

just curious

thinking you probably get some shaking in the head so also thinking probably have stock trees

which why i asked what you thought a good trail number was.. agree there is a lot of rider preference.... but there is also a place between hard steering with wobbles and easier steering with no wobbles

so i was going to suggest you might want to try some raked trees the shake will be almost gone and you will have some easier steering

i know how a damper works...:) i am trying to figure what you use it for

maybe i am missing something

not sure what you would call my trike sport touring or what certainly not new lol

its a vmax used a set of modified harley sidecar trees to reduce the trail... never needed a damper much less two

just curious

thinking you probably get some shaking in the head so also thinking probably have stock trees

which why i asked what you thought a good trail number was.. agree there is a lot of rider preference.... but there is also a place between hard steering with wobbles and easier steering with no wobbles

so i was going to suggest you might want to try some raked trees the shake will be almost gone and you will have some easier steering

I have no wobbles, steering is excellent now. Without dampers when I'd let go of the bars bike would pull slightly one way or the other depending on the road. With the dampers fine tuned steering stays perfectly straight which greatly enhances the cornering ability not to mention confidence. On my Fazer they are mounted on each side of forks, my gsxr600 has them on upper and lower forks as seen in pics. Got them on Ebay, work excellent. Had to make custom mounts for them on the Fazer.

Attachments

• Fazer damper.jpg
    Fazer damper.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 117
  • gsxr damper.jpg
    gsxr damper.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 113
  • gsxr600 damper.jpg
    gsxr600 damper.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 114

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png