cochlear implant & helmets

Paul_Trike

Reaction score
Are there any cochlear implant recieptants on here? If so can you recommend a helmet for my wife? We wanted a 3/4 helmet with face shield that could flip up but all we have tried knocks off her implant and there is now way to place it back on once the helmet is in place. We thoght of a half shell but have not located one with a flip up shield.

Not wearing the implant is really not an option.

Any suggestions would be apperciated.

I will pass your request onto my cousin who is a surgeon for those implants to see if she has any idea's.

I thought they were surgically implanted under the skin. Is hers different? I have a 3/4 helmet with a face shield, but it doesn't retract. I had a HD "Diva" helmet that retracted, but sold it because it was a little small. You might go the the HD store and try the "Diva". It shouldn't interfer because it flips from the outside of the helmet.

I have a HD half-shell that has a pull down face shield. It locks in place at a couple of different levels or can retract all the way up. I don't know the model of the helmet right off, but your HD dealer should be able to hook you up. It wasn't cheap, but the fit is great and it is comfortable for long rides. the shield is replaceable and I think available in clear and tinted.

Not completely wrong, small wires are placed in the cochlear nerve and then a small magnet is then placed just under the scalp. You then have Coil that is held in place on the out side of the head by use of the magnet and the coil is then attached to a processor that is fitted behind the ear.

So when she tries on the helmet it will either dislodge the coil or the processor.

Thanks Cybyrd1 I will check them out.

Bikerbozo I Appreciate you checking in on these. I found were they were making special helmets for football but have not seen anything for motorcycle helmets.

Not completely wrong, small wires are placed in the cochlear nerve and then a small magnet is then placed just under the scalp. You then have Coil that is held in place on the out side of the head by use of the magnet and the coil is then attached to a processor that is fitted behind the ear.

So when she tries on the helmet it will either dislodge the coil or the processor.

That is interesting. I was half way checking this procedure out for myslef. I'm probably not a candidate, but was interested. It didn't show me anything like what you just described. Maybe I just didn't go far enough into it.

I still think you should look into the Diva! They are very popular for women and not too bad on price. $150.00

Bikerbozo I Appreciate you checking in on these. I found were they were making special helmets for football but have not seen anything for motorcycle helmets.

I'm afraid no solid answer from my cousin. Here in her words,
"I would have them contact the implant company to see if they have had to deal with the issue before... I think asking on the Harley forum is probably the best place to go otherwise. I dont have enough motorcycling patients to have an answer!"
Good luck with it.

paul I have this inplant now I had to cut the foam out of the helmet where the in plant recevier is on my head this was the only way I could the helmet on with out nocking it off there is more to this if you wanted to call me to talk 1 618 843 4565 if i can help

is your reciver 100% water prof there is one out now that you can wear swimmig that the one you need to wear onder your helmet my works work good there is no ear pieace battey pack hooks on the belt are on a arm bad

Thanks Don, I will keep the ideal of cutting the foam as an option.

She wears the Nucleus 22, They tell here that is will not hurt to get wet but she still will not take the chance usally.

Yes she does not use the belt or armband. The Processor and battery all fit behind the ear and then the coil of course is what gets knocked of with the helmet.

paul i have the neptune its 100% water prof i also have the bonic ear I have put three mangic in the recevier to help still cut the foam channel for when you slide it on nothing hits the recevier i also put on a nylon beanie to help i tried everything this is what work for me

paul let me known if you have eny luck with the helmet i would like to have one that i didnt have to cut the foam out thanks

The Helmet that we purchased was a nolan n20 caribre half helmet in violet.
As of now she really likes it. When she puts it on it does not knock off the external parts of the implant.

as of now she said it is working great for her. once it knocked of the implant but that was only her second time of putting it on.

But since it is a half shell she does not get as much protection as i wish she could but this half shell is a little bigger than most so that helps some.

Well she went on her first long ride with the helmet and it did not do well after all. Before the end of the ride where the magnets are on the implant caused her serious pain so we are back to the drawing board.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png