Handeling corners & curves?

I started this thread 4 years ago, and now I'm still riding the trike and having a blast with it. We are scheduled to be at the rally in Eureka Springs in June and look forward to seeing some of you there.
One thing I figured out on the tipping feeling is when you are in your car and make a sharp turn feel your body mass shifts to the outside of that turn. That is what you are experiencing on the trike but since you are out in the open and no door or console to lean against it makes you feel like the trike is tipping. Time and miles will take that feeling away!
See you in Eureka Springs.

Rich,

You missed a great class in Ashland, VA, this past weekend. A total of 7 students from all over. There will be more, including an advanced class and a 1-day class on carrying passengers.

I'm new to the trike and only have about 100 miles under my belt, but I feel so natural going right....it's going left that makes me feel like a spazz.

I am so glad it's not just me.

I took a trike class over this past weekend. What most of us had difficulty with, and as confirmed by the experienced instructors, is that right hand turns are harder because your right hand is crunched while operating the throttle.

Some people on 2 wheels feel the same way. On the 2 wheeler it is not as crunched. On the 3 wheeler you are twisting the grip CCWand the bar is coming at you CW

I have an 06 Goldwing with Hannigan kit and I have no trouble keeping up with the best of them through the twisties. It just depends on how much tire wear I am willing to give. The steering tire does wear out very quickly if you push hard in the turns. I have slid the rear axes around the curve more than once riding double up and never felt like I was loosing it.

When I am doing turns I use the push/pull method with my left hand, so as my right/throttle hand is more "free" to excell or decell. Push going right, pull going left. I guess I don't use as much force with right arm as the left.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Trikes are still a lot like Their "cousins", the 2-wheeler Motorcycles...even though You aren't "leaning" it into a corner, correct Trike placement, entering and exiting the corner is extremely important to Your overall enjoyment of Your Trike....

(1) Enter a corner as wide as safely possible, while trying to sight completely out the other side (this will help relieve the "leaned the wrong way feel" also)

(2) Roll out of the Throttle slightly more on entering than on a 2-wheeler

(3) Roll back into the throttle smoothly and steady

(4) Try to exit the corner as close to centered in Your Lane as possible

TIPS: ***Use lower gears to maximize engine braking and minimize actual brake useage........***Keep Your Trike fully in the correct Lane...cutting corners and crossing center lines will never teach You to be a really good Rider........***Relax, and keep Your elbows bent

Trikes are a Lot of Fun...Enjoy Yours.....ThumbUp :10:

When I am doing turns I use the push/pull method with my left hand, so as my right/throttle hand is more "free" to excell or decell. Push going right, pull going left. I guess I don't use as much force with right arm as the left.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

After putting just a few miles on my new trike I understand exactly what you are saying. It makes sense to do it that way. Do you try not to change gears in a turn and thus not have to worry about your left hand on the clutch?

Let me know what you find out please, mine feels exactly the same. The left turns are definetly harder than the right ones. I'm wondering if its a line up problem...

I thought I would share what I pm'ed to Nextbite:

What I find is that I don't have the same strength in each arm. What I have started doing is pushing with one arm and pulling with the other. I am hoping I can add that to muscle memory.
I forgot to add that the instructors taught us to lean into the turn. That can range from leaning, to shifting to the side while leaning, to hanging onto the seat with your knee, depending upon speed and tightness of the turn. Basically, move your body to keep the inner wheel on the ground. At the same time, don't be afraid to lift that inner wheel, as long as you don't tip over. One of the class exercises was to ride in a fast, tight circle until the inner wheel is lifted. The instructor even demonstrated driving straight the length of the range on two wheels.

The best advice is to take a trike class. You will learn through guided practice, and the instructors will correct bad form. Here are the courses offered by North Carolina:

http://www.ncmotorcyclesafety.org/3-...iderCourse.htm

You can also come up to VA to take a class. In mine, two people stayed overnight at local hotels.

If you need help with cornering, find out whether or not there is a trike class available. Google classes in your or neighboring states.

I'm new to the trike and only have about 100 miles under my belt, but I feel so natural going right....it's going left that makes me feel like a spazz.

I am so glad it's not just me.

Ray - Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. That "left turn stuff" happens to many of us. Should get better with time and practice. Keep at it. :)

Not wanting to put anyone down, but I am a trike instructor (GWRRA) and licensed through the State of Texas. Some of the posts on this thread are confusing and just wrong.

This is an excerpt from the GWRRA TRC instructor Guide as relates to the sequence of actions in cornering.

Slow - roll off the throttle. Apply braking as necessary and if necessary, downshift.

Look. Look where you want to go - to the exit of the turn. Select the apex line that provides the maximum radius and line of sight.

Push-Pull. Use push pull steering with smooth input to throttle control. The speed and sharpness of the turn will dictate whether you use light or firmer pressure on the handlebars.

Roll. Gradually roll on the throttle throughout the turn. This will ensure the suspension remains stable, thus stabilizing traction. Exit the turn at normal speed.

Last edited:
Nana, just a quick note, from Ray Foret, we corresponded a while back regarding trikes and we will be doing the California Side Car Volusia kit for my wife's 07 FXST. It will be built April 23 and we will pick it up the Monday before the Arkansas Rally that we will attend in Hot Springs. thank you for your input, it was very helpfull.

What I find is that I don't have the same strength in each arm. What I have started doing is pushing with one arm and pulling with the other.
Don;t use your arms at all. LOCK your arms and use your BODY weight to push or pull.
IE if you turning right Lock your left arm then lean FOREWARD and slightly to the right into the handlebar.
Use your body weight not your shoulders.

I forgot to add that the instructors taught us to lean into the turn. That can range from leaning, to shifting to the side while leaning, to hanging onto the seat with your knee, depending upon speed and tightness of the turn.
Stepping on the INNER foot peg can help also. tends to make the bike more stable.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png