Honda Trike Question

md412

Apr 4, 2012
newborn, ga, usa
Can anyone give me some info. I have an 87 goldwing, 1200, aspencade. Just had a new volt regulator and stator put on it. But I can ride about 40 - 50 miles, just long enough for the motor to get hot, and turn it off. If I try to crank it back up right away or before it cools down it acts like the battery is weak and has a slow turn over. But if I put a jump box to it, it will fire right up without any hesitation. I talked to the mech. that worked on it and he said that the battery read 13 volts ( which it should be between 12 - 14). I looked on internet and it said crank engine, remove positive wire from battery to check if stator is working. If it stays running then stator is working.( It stayed running) Also had battery checked yesterday and it showed "Good - Recharged Batt") Battery is 1 month old. Can this possibly be a starter problem?

Don't believe it would be starter related if you can jump start it from a "jump box".What you are doing is adding enough amps/volts to the battery to start the bike.
I believe you have a weak battery or one that is not holding the charge put into it.Being "one month old" doesn't mean it is a good battery and should be load tested.
Also how many lights and acessories are you running.1200 GoldWings were known for running down a battery even while riding if too much amp/volt drain.If a high out-put stator was installed by your dealer (very costly),then again I believe the battery is culprit.Also out-put from stator should be checked with a meter,dis-connecting positive cable while bike is running is not a good test.
Hope this helps,been there done that with my old '86 Sei and it had a 100 amp stator.

Agreed with "cscsonny"........Anytime one installs a new battery, voltage regulator or stator, it's always good to check the readings to insure that everything is working as it should.

If you don't have a multi-meter, you can buy a decent digital multi-meter for around $20.

Set the multi-meter at 20 VDC.

First check the battery voltage cold (after the trike has been sitting overnight) Leave the key "Off" and simply touch the corresponding meter leads to the battery terminals. For a healthy battery, the cold reading should be around 12.7V (12.5V-12.8V is fine, too)

Then fire-up the trike and let it idle. While idling, touch the meter leads to the battery terminals again and the readings should be anywhere's between 13V-14V........for example, if at idle, it's reading 13.73V, it can fluctuate between 13.73V to 13.74V, maybe even between 13.73V-13.75V, but realistically not much more than 3 points during fluctuation. If the readings keep climbing beyond that small range or if the readings fluctuate all over the chart, then there's a problem with the charging system.

hi ! if the startor turne better cold then hot,,,, thath mean there is no charge going int the battery,,,,when the engine work it empty the batteriy,,,,and whe you stop it then the batterie recharge a bit on it own,,,,
so i will definitly check everything had to do with charging......cable, regulator,alternator,,,even light,,,,,did you put new light,,,,or a shorth wire etc,,,,same with car,, when started only when cold it is not the battery but charging probleme,

hope can help you !!:Trike1:

I had your starting problem with a GL1100 (just hadn't replaced the stator first).

Turned out to be the bushings in the starter were worn. Those were replaced, along with new brushes, everything worked fine.

The starter load test will prove how much power it will draw, but a first indication of needing starter work is once the engine and starter are hot the starter needs more power to turn the engine over.The problems you are having could be a combination of all these items, just need to check them over with the proper gauges to pinpoint the culprit.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png