Garage Door Opener

Paul_Trike

Feb 19, 2012
Denison, Texas, USA
I was caring my garage door opener in my right hand fairing pocket and when I got home would stop and open it but found that it was always on the bottom of other stuff we keep in there. So each time I tried to use it I would end up knocking something out on the ground.

Well I had an old opener that the clips were broke on and the case would not stay together. I took this and found the the button on the circuit board and solder two wires to the circuit board. I open the left fairing pocket and found that a small hole was already in the pocket that I could run the wires through.

Next I drilled a hole beneath the pocket where naviagation would go and placed a momentery switch there wired to remote. I might add a voltage regulator later and make it so i can just used the circuit card with out the disposible batteries.

No more need to open pocket now.

Next I drilled a hole beneath the pocket where naviagation would go and placed a momentery switch there wired to remote. No more need to open pocket now.

I like your idea, but have some questions. What is a momentery switch and can I get one at Radio Shack? Also, I HAVE navagation so that space is taken, but no reason I can't put the button under the suspension contol on the same side as the fairing pocket you are using. Any problems with water getting into the switch?

If you want to do away with the switch completely there is a hidden device called an "AutoSwitch" that works GREAT. Two quick hits of the front brake lever and up goes the garage door. Don't have to worry about switches getting dirty or wet, convenient to use, and out of sight.

Here's a link.... Autoswitch Garage Door Controllers

I like your idea, but have some questions. What is a momentery switch and can I get one at Radio Shack? Also, I HAVE navagation so that space is taken, but no reason I can't put the button under the suspension contol on the same side as the fairing pocket you are using. Any problems with water getting into the switch?

Momentary switch is one that once clicks returns back to origanal poistion when released.

I bought my switch on ebay but I am sure you could get something from radio shack.

As far as water goes I purchased a Marine grade switch so the water should not be an issue.

I know there are other systems that can be used such as using the dimmer switch or brake lever but since I had a broke garage door opener and spent 2 dollars on a switch i thought the cost out weighed the other options.

And if I decided to ever sell the trike and they don't like the button there because it will not work on their opener then I will just convert it to a passenger eject button.

Guess the more buttons the better. I just wouldn't remember what they all did.
( Well now that I think about it I wouldn't have to remember, my wife would cuz she tells me how to drive anyway.) But thats only when she is awake back there.

Guess the more buttons the better. I just wouldn't remember what they all did.
( Well now that I think about it I wouldn't have to remember, my wife would cuz she tells me how to drive anyway.) But thats only when she is awake back there.

I'm a sleepyhead, too. Sounds like I've found a 'sister by another mister' in your wife!! Only problem is that I snore . . .

Told John I'd stay awake if he'd mount my iPad on his backrest . . .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png