What kind of seats do you have on your Tri-Glide

Never understood why more people don't buy the RZ seat in the first place. Expensive, but still cheaper then having to buy 2 or 3 seats until you find one that works for you in the long run.

Wouldn't be the case if a dealer would let you test a seat for a few thousand miles and then return it for another one if needed. ThumbUp

Well, looks like I'm the only one who sits on a AirHawke R. :AllGood:

My butts happy :laugh:

Just picked up an Airhawk. Have to try it before spending big bucks for a better seat.
This seat on the new triglide kills my butt after about 150 miles. The 2006 Ultra that I traded in had a stock seat and I could ride it all day. So whats with the new seat? Not broken in? I even tried taking my wallet out. Nothing. So will give the Airhawk a go.

Just picked up an Airhawk. Have to try it before spending big bucks for a better seat.
This seat on the new triglide kills my butt after about 150 miles. The 2006 Ultra that I traded in had a stock seat and I could ride it all day. So whats with the new seat? Not broken in? I even tried taking my wallet out. Nothing. So will give the Airhawk a go.

I use an Airhawk & sheepskin.

Between those, finding the "sweet spot" for PSI in the rear shocks, the Comfort Lift, 20-22 psi in the rear tires, and highway pegs, the TG is an all day ride (day after day) for me with no issues.

I'm far more comfortable on the TG than I am in my office chair or couch. :laugh:

Kevin

I still have the stock seat on mine and going to go with a different type soon, my left hip starts to hurt after about a 80 mile ride, when I had a Heritage Softail a few years back it wasnt anything to knock off 200 to 250 mile and no problems, I know, I'm a little older and with that brings aches and pains I never had before, just looking for direction on seats.

I have a 1100 miles on the stock seat on my new 2014 Tri. Longest day has been about 250 miles. My ass was not the issue...it was my arms.

On occasion, I have used a gel seat 'add-on; and have been very happy with it. And 'ditto' on the don't-leave-it-out-in-the-sun comment; also, it does not like rain very much. And, given the price for these things (I paid about $120 for mine), I always toss it in the trunk of the bike if I stop for breakfast, coffee, etc...

Bob.

Different???? 2 wheel seat vs. 3 wheel seat:
The rider on a 2 wheeler leans into a turn and his body leans with the motorcycle. Side forces acting on his body are minimal and he is in a relaxed state. The rider on a three wheeler takes this same turn flat and hangs on with his hands, arms, legs and toes while his butt tries to slide off the seat in the opposite direction of the turn. Most trikes make do with a seat from their 2 wheel counterpart. Ugh. Ideally, a trike seat would have bolstering incorporated into it's design in order to hold the rider in place no matter how sharp the turn is. Does this make sense to anybody else? I need a trike seat for my trike...not a motorcycle seat. Anybody know where I can get one and not have to make it?

IMO Once you really learn how to drive a trike the lateral push off is lessened greatly .... because you learn to apply power in the turn and that pushes you back into the seat lessening the lateral push off. Coming off 50 years of 2 wheeling I have always braked before the turn and accelerated into/thru the turn .... but it takes a bit of ride time to get that habit going while on a trike since it allows braking in the turn without consequences. If you think our Harleys are bad .... try a Can-Am with their wide flatter seat and you will really be holding on.

With 4K on my 2014 I hardly ever notice the lateral push off .... or maybe I am just used to it. :laugh:

However the seat comfort issues are still their for us all.

Bob :Dorag:

Different???? 2 wheel seat vs. 3 wheel seat:
The rider on a 2 wheeler leans into a turn and his body leans with the motorcycle. Side forces acting on his body are minimal and he is in a relaxed state. The rider on a three wheeler takes this same turn flat and hangs on with his hands, arms, legs and toes while his butt tries to slide off the seat in the opposite direction of the turn. Most trikes make do with a seat from their 2 wheel counterpart. Ugh. Ideally, a trike seat would have bolstering incorporated into it's design in order to hold the rider in place no matter how sharp the turn is. Does this make sense to anybody else? I need a trike seat for my trike...not a motorcycle seat. Anybody know where I can get one and not have to make it?

I'm with you on the failure of companies to make a true trike seat. I just finished a one day 630 mile ride, and the two bones on my butt still hurt. I have very little butt, and it causes that bone problem. Also, have been spending the last two days searching the internet for trike seats -- something that is wide enough to support my whole butt and more. I don't need the neck down part of the typical motorcycle seat.

But, I cannot find anything for a trike. You would think Harley would come up with something that is more useable for a trike. I started looking at custom seats. Trouble is, I just bought a Saddlemen seat that removed all of my tailbone pain, but the two bones still cause trouble. The pain starts at about 200 miles and gets worse. BTW, the Saddlemen has a nice butt curve that seems to hold better on curves.

I'm with you on the failure of companies to make a true trike seat. I just finished a one day 630 mile ride, and the two bones on my butt still hurt. I have very little butt, and it causes that bone problem. Also, have been spending the last two days searching the internet for trike seats -- something that is wide enough to support my whole butt and more. I don't need the neck down part of the typical motorcycle seat.

But, I cannot find anything for a trike. You would think Harley would come up with something that is more useable for a trike. I started looking at custom seats. Trouble is, I just bought a Saddlemen seat that removed all of my tailbone pain, but the two bones still cause trouble. The pain starts at about 200 miles and gets worse. BTW, the Saddlemen has a nice butt curve that seems to hold better on curves.
I use the Road Zeppelin from Harley. You can change the pressure points on the go. I don't have to stop, just push a switch for up or down in two areas on the rider part. They are expensive so you do need to find one to try first.
The other best idea is the air cushion that you air up manually. The whole idea is to remove the pressure points. I don't know what a "Trike seat" would even do differently if there was one.

:Agree: :Agree: :Agree: I'm surprised not many riders try the Road Zepplin seat. They buy a static seat because it's comfortable when they first sit on it but gets worse as miles add up. Then they have to buy another seat and start the whole thing over again and maybe then again.
Get the RZ seat from the get go and you will never need to get another seat later.
All static seats are the same, just different designs - each one still has the same pressure point (maybe not as pronounced as a stock seat) and doesn't change that much over time.
I think if people tried the RZ seat they wouldn't buy any other seat......they wouldn't need to.

The RZ seat is also wider then the stock seat so it fits the anatomy better - in my opinion.

Up until a I started doing long distance trips, the stock seat was fine for me no matter what brand bike I owned. Now I'm older, wrinkled and sagging and want more creature comforts and the RZ fits the bill to a "T". ThumbUp You young pups can sit on a steel post and be comfortable.:D

In a perfect world the dealer would let you use a seat for a couple thousand miles and then be able to return it and select another seat if needed. At least Harley lets you test a seat (and windshield) for a short time before buying. Just not long enough.

I'll look into the Road Zepplin. (Old and sagging -- know what you mean.)

UPDATE: SHOOT! My trike is based on an 04 Road King, and Road Zeppelin says "no" for that far back. Maybe it is only the wiring harness, and I could make that up??

I find that some have different comments on seats and not everyone would be comfortable on a RZ seat versus lets say a stock seat or other type of seat. Or try a after market vendor who modifies or makes seats sometimes they can help with your stock seat??

Everyone has different comfort levels and pressure points.

If you can try to sit on other type of seats go for it that may help you decision.

Good luck

That's the beauty of the RZ seat - you can change the pressure points. You can't on a static seat - you have to live with whatever seat you buy even if it changes for the worst a year from now......or spend even more money for a new seat and start all over again. :Shrug:

I don't see how anyone could not be comfortable on the RZ seat, but I suppose anything is possible. The only exception I know of is it positions the rider a little closer to the front. So tall riders may not like it. I'm 5'-11" and 185lbs and it's perfect for me. ThumbUp

It's got to be the biggest decision a rider makes - even before the exhaust ---well maybe not that. :laugh: - - - - biggest decision for a long distance rider.

I guess it's a "cross your finger"s kind of thing and hope you made the right decision. :AGGHH:

Just to clarify, I'm talking about off the shelf seats like Mustang, Saddlemen, Corbin, LePera, etc. not your completely custom made seats made exclusively for one person.

I have found after awhile the RZ seat if very uncomfortable no matter how many times I adjust the pressure in the seat.. But I know that is not in all cases..

Went back to the stock seat and found that more to my liking..

Well good luck..

I did some further checking, and the RZ isn't available for my old Road King (04). I called a dealer, and he said no. I even called the Harley official site where it says "contact us", and they had a choice for questions about accessories. The lady there spent about 15 minutes searching several databases, and said, "sorry". She was very helpful though.

It must be the shape of something attached to the frame, because it fits a Road Glide, but not a King -- maybe tank interference, who knows.

I have found after awhile the RZ seat if very uncomfortable no matter how many times I adjust the pressure in the seat.. But I know that is not in all cases..

Went back to the stock seat and found that more to my liking..

Well good luck..

I have also found that to be the case sometimes.
If you wait until you start feeling the pressure to adjust the bladders, it's too late. What I've found was approximately every half hour change the settings whether you need to or not. That way it heads off any pressure build up in one spot.
Better yet when you stop for gas or to eat, walk around a little and (without being seen :D ) massage the tush a little to get the feelings/blood circulating again. ThumbUp

With the Airhawk R seat all you do to change the settings is move around on the seat and a different bladder fills to spot. ThumbUp

Road Zeppelin here. It's the only seat I've been able to complete a 500 mile ride on (2010 TG) comfortably. I ride with the bladders completely inflated.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png