VW air cool engine

Longest trip was to calif, and average 600-700 miles per day and have gotten 42 MPG, with a single port motor with autostick[ stock motor] and traveling at a speed of 65-70 MPH. with a freeway flyer gear in 4th.

Not the longest trip, but about 250 miles. My gas mileage was terrible, about 24 miles to the gallon. However I was running 80 miles an hour and with the large VW engine the Trike Shop put in their Roadhawk and auto transmission.

2 bb

i was a vw air cooled tech in thier heyday 60/70s . had the first vw trike in knoxville tn. 1972 . don't get me wrong , but the air deal , well it was good at the time. my trike now would be very lucky to get 30 mpg. 1970 b case with dual port heads . cammed about 3/4. about 60 + horse . less than a 1000 lbs . but still , don't look for mpg air cooled .not gonna happen . don't get me wrong . this is my 14th air cooled vw . i love them like i love a dog . you can't just keep them around like a cat . you have to pet a vw about every day . but the good thing is you can.

Did Sturgis this year, from central MO. Longest leg was 650 miles on the return trip. MPG dipped as low as 24 at avg speeds of 75 in a typical SD head wind of 40-50 mph. Best avg mpg was 30. 1600 DP with a mild cam behind a stock IRS tranny.

I have ridden mine all day in the heat. About 280 miles, didnt go anywhere, just in the wind. I have no cooling tins or fan at all and a 2110 stroker motor. No problems with overheating. More worried about the old point ignition letting me down.

I have ridden mine all day in the heat. About 280 miles, didn't go anywhere, just in the wind. I have no cooling tins or fan at all and a 2110 stroker motor. No problems with overheating. More worried about the old point ignition letting me down[/B].

Thanks everyone for the info.

DeathBySnuSnu- I am looking at changing over to electronic ignition.

I got 22-25 MPG while driving from St. Joseph, Mo to Sterling, Co. It ran rough from one elevation to the other:

St Joseph- Elevation: 885 feet to

Sterling, Co- Elevation, 3,935 ft

I have not tried to go on a extended trip because the first time after getting back my fuel pump went out and a week or two after that points broke leaving me on the interstate. So hopefully going to get a few things fix before going on a trip over 100 miles.

When i first got mine on the road a couple years ago i had wierd ignition problems. I had one of the conversion modules. But it died quick. I dont know if it was at fault or not. I went through several condensers and bosch blue coils. I was broke down again one day and bought a cheep mr gasket coil. Guess what.....not a single ignition problem in over two years now. But i do want to go electronic. Most likely crank trigger distributerless.
I dont get very good mpg.
Run an electric pump with a regulator.

When i first got mine on the road a couple years ago i had wierd ignition problems. I had one of the conversion modules. But it died quick. I dont know if it was at fault or not. I went through several condensers and bosch blue coils. I was broke down again one day and bought a cheep mr gasket coil. Guess what.....not a single ignition problem in over two years now. But i do want to go electronic. Most likely crank trigger distributerless.
I dont get very good mpg.
Run an electric pump with a regulator.

Thanks- The fuel pump it has is electric. We did and a fuel regulator and it ran way better then it did.

A mega jolt, ford crank wheel and position sensor. Ford edis coil pack.

Of course the mega jolt is a variant of the mega squirt. So if you are going to go that level of setup programming then might as well go fuel injection too.

It is not all that difficult to do. The parts for the most part are cheap. Most of the components are standard v-8 car type stuff (not race stuff). The weber look alike throttle bodies are pricey, but if you are not concerned with what they look like then there are plenty of throttle bodies in the junk yard. The programming software is free to download.

I could sorta like the first one, hot coils are good. But this is not a crank trigger and you are still stuck with the advance curve of the distributer.

Depends a lot on the WIND in Gods country.
If it is a calm day I get about 30mph.
If the wind is blowing, ie 20 mph, mpg goes DOWN.:gah:
Since I only have a five gallon tank, and most towns
are about 30 miles apart out here, I usually fuel every
60 to 90 miles.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png