can a VW based trike with auto trans be towed?

I'm presuming it is the same 3 speed full automatic from a type 3 around 1968-1973 period. This is also the same as what I have.

I know of a guy here in oz that tows his auto trike with the rear wheels on the road and a hitch from Sydney to Brisbane every year without an issue, leaving it in neutral. Around 1000 miles return.

Maybe ask around at some VW experts/auto experts.

Vw's don't have driveshafts?? Don't know how th transaxle works in a automatic, but you will need a hitch that swivles to pull it with.

VW call them halfshafts, there are one on each side.
If trans pump is driven by rear wheels, you can push start it.
If engine pump, not the brightest idea to let rear wheel turn without engine running.

It is not recomended to tow a VW auto great distances or at high speeds.
You can get yourself out of trouble towing at very low speeds but not for long.
Anyone trying to tow great distances must have a stash of autos for repairs, I have only two, one in the trike and another in reserve and as they are scarse I'll look after mine.

Just wondering how you would keep the trailing front wheel on track if you used a dolly?

I ask because my friend had a Mini Cooper automatic trike which he cannot tow.

Don't have any of the finished trike but here are some work in progress.

bfb67a8952d5f34afeeadda0ef806ecd.jpg

Engine in the subframe

afb55e3726156f6d1a63cbda7b52b7b6.jpg

Engine out

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png