Heated grips - worth the cost??

trikermary

Jun 19, 2009
Darlington
Hi,

I am thinking about investing in heated grips for my 2009 Tri-Glide, I have ridden in cold weather often and the only thing that gives me a problem are my fingers........I had thought about heated gloves etc but thought the heated grips might be my best solution, I am not much for bulky gloves but I have heard that the cost of buying the grips and having them installed can be very high, I am going to get an estimate after I get some opinions on the heated grips..........if you have them, what do you have to say about them.........thanks!

MHO...I have never liked the way the heated grips felt in my big meaty hands, or the way they look. I need something with a better grip to hang on to and twist. I prefer the heated gloves over the grips. A Bud has them on his 2012 Streetglide. Even on the low setting, they get so hot they are uncomfortable and he has to keep turning them off. And they are working normally. He now wishes he did not install them. I will guess that others here will be able to tell you more positive opinions of them though. They are one of those personal preference kinda things.

Yes they are pricey, but we have them on both are TG's & really appreciate them.
Just be sure to get the same type that come on the HD Limited, they work the best & are the most reliable. My girlfriend is like you & doesn't like bulky gloves either. We had them installed at the same time the 2" pull back handle bars were bought.

I have both and use them all winter. Only problem I have is neither one keeps the pads(finger print area) of my fingers warm. I have to scrunch up my fingers so they contact the grips, then they are fine. I'm talking below 0 degrees. Unless you want to ride a lot in cold weather, don't spend the money on either one.
If I HAD to choose, I'd go with the gloves - they warm almost all your hand not just the bottom of the palms and fingers and you can go from bike to bike.

The grips are nice on a cool morning or late fall night and you didn't bring any gloves. I don't know why Harley has a setting above 3. In the winter with regular winter gloves, setting #2 is more then enough heat.
On the highest setting you could probably heat a small cabin or tent. :D

I prefer heated grips as I can't forget to bring them along... When it gets cool after the sun goes down it is nice to be able to just turn a knob to warm my hands.

I had heated grips on my Ultra Limited and really liked them. They have a nice "grip" to them so your hand doesn't slip whe rolling on the throttle. I don't have the heated grips on my TriGlide, but with the heated gloves I don't think you really need them. The grips only heat the part of your hand touching the grips and everything else is out there for the elements to freeze off. The heated liners do work well from what I've been told if you don't like the bulk of regular heated gloves.

I have the Gerbings heated gloves, and I like them for the adjustability of heat. I am thinking of getting some grip wraps for the winter. They wrap around the grips and are not a permanent change. They are also less expensive than heated grips. A few links:
Aerostich Warm Wrap Grips :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Hot Hands Heated Grip Wraps - Whitehorse Gear

Here is a line for motorcycle specific Hippo Hands that GARYD mentioned: Hippo Hands

And an interesting site on how to make handlebar muffs (hippo hands):
Making handlebar muffs

I really like my heated grips and probably would never have another trike without them. Like Redldr, said you can't forget them. My hands fit nicely around the grips and I never have had areas of my fingers or hands not being in contact with the grips and not staying warm. Mine came standard with the Limited so I have no idea how much they cost.

Heated grips; If you plan to ride in weather below 50 degrees, I definitely recommend them. Use mine every fall, winter and spring. They are not as good as heated gloves, but much better than no heated grips.

We put them on the '09 when wife was riding it, really don't need them out here. When we bought her the '11, she said she preferred her electric gloves, kept the back of her hands warmer???? I inherited her '09 and have never used them. Really can't give you an honest opinion, Temps drop to the mid 50's out here in the dead of winter.

Good Luck!

I've been looking at the same thing. The slipstream's feel good in my small hands. I priced 2 hours labor at two different shops. One is $80 and hour the other is $90 an hour. I thought of buying the grips thru lshd1 Home Page to save on cost of about $55.00. But if they were to go bad, then don't know how to get them warrantied. So, paying full price of $259.95 and 2 hours labor is my only choice.

Went to Cabelas and bought a very nice pair of gloves for $58.00 that are used for snowmobiling. Sales guy sez he wears 'em riding his older Honda all winter and they work great. They are not bulky at all and have a ton of insulation in 'em. They have some that cost up to $90.00.

I'm sticking with electrics. In my 53 years of riding and testing just about every conceivable glove(motorcycle and snowmobile), I have never found one that will keep my fingers comfortable for 8 hours (30* and lower)in Chicago winters.
Even the heated equipment don't help on my finger tips unless I scrunch up my fingers onto the grips.
In 40* temps and above about all I need are the grips and a pair of regular winter gauntlets-depending on how long I want to stay out.

I'm sticking with electrics. In my 53 years of riding and testing just about every conceivable glove(motorcycle and snowmobile), I have never found one that will keep my fingers comfortable for 8 hours (30* and lower)in Chicago winters.
Even the heated equipment don't help on my finger tips unless I scrunch up my fingers onto the grips.
In 40* temps and above about all I need are the grips and a pair of regular winter gauntlets-depending on how long I want to stay out.

Try using mittens for warmth !! If you can't use them try the three finger gloves. One finger in the index, one in the thumb, two in the third together.
Pilots use them, & can articulate all the switches & controls in the plane, so I think you could on the motorcycle... If you are military or ex, you can go to the PX and find them along with liners. Probably at an AF base would be the best. They also have regular flight gloves .
They are also available at many MC aftermarket outlets. Not the same glove, but the same idea. Do a web search for "three finger motorcycle mitten". Try a pair, I like'em.
Mittens are always warmer than gloves. :Trike1:

Sloufoot, I agree about the mittens, I just can't bring myself to wear them. :D

Mittens aren't handy for operating things like GPS, radio, smoking, etc.

Besides the last time I wore mittens was when they had clips on them to attach to the sleeves of my coat so I couldn't loose them. pepper

I do have the 3 finger rain covers from Riders Warehouse though. ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png