Any way to tell if trikes been raked??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat,
Actually, after reading this and other threads/posts from the OP not really sure what the true intention or real goal for it all is. All seems to be both repetitive and conflicting when taken in entirety. Oh well... maybe I'm just easily confused :Shrug:

To Definitively answer the question "Has my GL1800 Trike been Triple-Tree modified?" :

**For GEN I (2001-2010)**
Measure the distance from the leading point of the lower timing cover cowl to the rear-most surface of the front FENDER.
The distance on a stock OE 2001-2010 GL1800 will be right at 1.5 inches.
A Steering Angle/Trail modified (Triple-Tree changed) GL1800 will have an approx. 3-3.25 inch (depending on whether 4.5* or 6*) distance at that same point.
**For GEN II (2012 & Up)**
Measure from leading point of the lower timing cover cowl to the rear-most surface of the front TIRE.
The distance on a stock OE 2012 & Up GL1800 will be right at 1.375 inches.
Safe to assume that a Steering Angle/Trail modified (Triple-Tree changed) GEN II will add about 1.5-1.75 inches to make a the modified measurement approx. 3 inches as well.

Hope this helps.

Now we can let Mr. Ed Rest In Peace. :D

Pat,
Actually, after reading this and other threads/posts from the OP not really sure what the true intention or real goal for it all is. All seems to be both repetitive and conflicting when taken in entirety. Oh well... maybe I'm just easily confused :Shrug:

To Definitively answer the question "Has my GL1800 Trike been Triple-Tree modified?" :
Measure the distance from the leading point of the lower timing cover cowl to the rear-most surface of the front fender.
A Steering Angle/Trail modified (Triple-Tree changed) GL1800 will have an approx. 3-3.25 inch (depending on whether 4.5* or 6*) distance at that same point.

Hope this helps.

Now we can let Mr. Ed Rest In Peace. :D

Got it and thank you!

Pat

Jay I would also say it is not raked from your picture. Even if you like it now raking will make it handle a lot easier. I have riden many trikes both raked and not. Even though they handled fine not it was so much better raked. When you are ready to have it done may I suggest that you contact "Bazooka" the owner of this forum he will sell you a rake it at a price that is un-matched.

When and if the time comes I will certainly look into his deals.
As the trike is now its not going to be any time soon.
Im honestly not having any real difficultis stearing this at all.
Which is why I asked the question to begin with.
If there is say a 100% improvment in steering ease.
Id be a fool not to do it sooner then later.

If you can find a stock 2-wheeler comparable to your trike, measure the distance between the back of the front wheel and the frame of the bike. If your trike shows the same measurement, it has not been raked. If your trike has more space when measuring at the same spot, it has almost certainly been raked.

If finding another stock GW was that easy. Any GW.
Same with my Valk 1 other owner in 12 years.
In 12 years of living where I do and myself riding daily.
I can count the number of GWs Ive seen here in 12 years......................................0.

Now HDs and even Yamaha R*s..............plentiful.

Trikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also 0........

Jay

Measure the distance from the leading point of the lower timing cover cowl to the rear-most surface of the front fender.

Thank You too.
Jesh ............that was as simple an answer as anyone could need.
Mine is 3.2 inches..........................

Too many folks wearing bow ties around here cutting off the circulation.:D

Jay

PHP:
If finding another stock GW was that easy. Any GW.

Hmmm. Might be a stretch on my part but,,, a HONDA Dealer perhaps :Shrug:

Too many folks wearing bow ties around here.

Just Levi's, long-sleeved T's (preferrably black), Merrill Jungle Mocs, and Leathers.
Bow Ties are for Beemer dudes-just jokin Ben :laugh:

If there is say a 100% improvment in steering ease.
Id be a fool not to do it sooner then later.

Lawdy Mercy... I give up :gah:
Hey Zook! Strother Martin nailed it. :D

Thank You too.

You're quite Welcome. My pleasure. Enjoy! ThumbUp

While I appreciate the help and explainations you have provided the rest of your comments are...........
To say the least. Very much unappreciated.
Im a simple guy with no degree in Applied Geometry.
Wise ass replies are not called for from anyone on a forum.
Im being very kind with this my reply.
Its obvious to me anyway.
You must have a strange sense of humor or......
Id prefere to think its your sense of humor.

As an explaination.
There are no GW owners that Im aware of in 12 years of riding down here where I live.
The local one size sells all dealer has no GWs to even look at.

The bowtie remark should have been self evident.

If my trike wasnt raked. Id have had it done.
But until I knew for sure and I myself have no way to know if it is or isnt.
Hence the original post.
Im supposed to spend $700 for a part I probobly couldnt return only to be told by an installer.
Its already been done.......

The original question should have been a simple enough thing for someone to explain and you did ............eventually.

Last edited:
Well it mattered......to me.
I have no problems at all and Im half crippled.
So I asked a simple question.
In searching here and other forums all the guys say is to get the thing raked and life is a bowl of cherries.

I asked because I dont have any problems and would like to know if it was or not.
Saving me a grand for now...........if I chose to have it done at some future point when or if its needed.

Sorry, my comment was not meant to offend you. I was more noting that I don't know if mine is raked or not, but having no problem with it, I don't worry about it. So again, I apologize for not being clear. No offense intended.

This has been said, but if a GL 1800 has not been raked, it steers like trying to corrall a water buffalo. If it has been raked even 4.5 it steers very easy. Seriously, if you can't tell ask a friend that has been riding a trike to try to steer it.

There is a tremendous difference in the steering between a non-raked trike and a raked one.

Folks my bike is indeed raked.
I saw a GW in the parking lot of my local dealer today and its quite obvious when one sees a stock GW.

Im not offended by anyone here. I dont get offended I get angry...........it goes away fast.

Yes.
Please consider this a closed thread and thanks for all the replies.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png