Rear Suspension?

I am scratch building a V8 trike. Up until now I have been under the impression that a trike needed either a swingarm setup or a independent suspension setup with a heavy antiroll bar so the trike doesn't have a tendancy to "lean out" on corners. However, today i got a look at a Rawaco trike and it had an independent rear end, but it didn't seem to have a a sway or antiroll bar. If I was mistaken and just didn't see it or do they not have or need one? Is it because of the rear engine setup? I am a motorcycle mechanic, but have not had alot of experience with trikes and I am interested to hear from anyone to give me a bit of insight on this. Also keen to hear from anyone who has built their own v8 trike.

Thanks in advance

Craig aka Reaper

Look through my pics. I built mine about 6 years ago. Now have 25000 miles on it. Big block Chrysler, 4-link rear with diagonal bar. Coilover shocks. Take curves better than a sportscar. Give me a shout. Can give ya some advice, plus can machine custom parts for ya.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Nice looking trike you have there. I am building my own antisway IRS setup. I am using a frontend much like the front end in the Rewaco trikes. I am using a independant setup to try and keep the trike short so that it doesn't have a large "on road" presence. I using a 302w and c4 trans with a nissan 300zx diff and brake setup. What rake are you running and how much trail are you running? Do you run your coolant through the frame? Do you run a Harley front Wheel?

Rake is 45 degrees, trail is 4-3/4". Handles like a dream. Coolant is through frame. 75% antifreeze with an anti rust additive. Running a standard "Fat Boy" rear wheel minus sprocket for front. Standard touring bike rear tire on front & I have 773 lbs on front wheel! As far as running a 302w, I'd go with a first generation AOD for fuel mileage. It doesn't need a computer to run it. Have put lots of them in street rods & the worked great. Also put power brakes on! It is SO simple! I'm running an old Ford T-Bird booster & F100 master cylinder. It works great! I've done several things everybody said can't be done. It has been ridden HARD & worked great with no problems! Any help I can give just holler!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png