Rear Suspension?

I am scratch building a V8 trike. Up until now I have been under the impression that a trike needed either a swingarm setup or a independent suspension setup with a heavy antiroll bar so the trike doesn't have a tendancy to "lean out" on corners. However, today i got a look at a Rawaco trike and it had an independent rear end, but it didn't seem to have a a sway or antiroll bar. If I was mistaken and just didn't see it or do they not have or need one? Is it because of the rear engine setup? I am a motorcycle mechanic, but have not had alot of experience with trikes and I am interested to hear from anyone to give me a bit of insight on this. Also keen to hear from anyone who has built their own v8 trike.

Thanks in advance

Craig aka Reaper

Look through my pics. I built mine about 6 years ago. Now have 25000 miles on it. Big block Chrysler, 4-link rear with diagonal bar. Coilover shocks. Take curves better than a sportscar. Give me a shout. Can give ya some advice, plus can machine custom parts for ya.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Nice looking trike you have there. I am building my own antisway IRS setup. I am using a frontend much like the front end in the Rewaco trikes. I am using a independant setup to try and keep the trike short so that it doesn't have a large "on road" presence. I using a 302w and c4 trans with a nissan 300zx diff and brake setup. What rake are you running and how much trail are you running? Do you run your coolant through the frame? Do you run a Harley front Wheel?

Rake is 45 degrees, trail is 4-3/4". Handles like a dream. Coolant is through frame. 75% antifreeze with an anti rust additive. Running a standard "Fat Boy" rear wheel minus sprocket for front. Standard touring bike rear tire on front & I have 773 lbs on front wheel! As far as running a 302w, I'd go with a first generation AOD for fuel mileage. It doesn't need a computer to run it. Have put lots of them in street rods & the worked great. Also put power brakes on! It is SO simple! I'm running an old Ford T-Bird booster & F100 master cylinder. It works great! I've done several things everybody said can't be done. It has been ridden HARD & worked great with no problems! Any help I can give just holler!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
4spen@Proj2
Back