Miles remaining gauge on TriGlide

hARLEY jOE

Feb 9, 2013
PORTLAND OREGON
What are your experiences with the miles remaining on the gauge and the actual amount of miles you can get?

We are getting 185-195 miles per tank. Always use premium, 92 octane here.
About 1,700 MILES ON our 2013 TriGlide. It seems like that should be plenty of time to calibrate the gauge.

When the miles to empty hits about 75, it drops like a rock. We have nowhere near 75 miles left.

When the reserve mileage says 10 miles it immediately drops to LO. You might as well say it's out of gas because it starts sputtering.

I'd like to find out if something is wrong, or is this the norm?

I just got back from a trip where I had a slight miscalculation on my gas mileage, but here is what I found...

Rode for several miles with the needle well below the "E" until the low fuel light lit up on the speedometer. Switched the odometer over to see the remaining miles (I knew I had 17 more miles to go to get to the gas station). As you said, with about 10 miles left the "LO" replaced the remaining mileage number, but I made it to the gas station. Put 5.86 gallons in. So I'd say it's pretty accurate, but not something I'd like to try again any time soon.

Also keep in mind your fuel gauge isn't all that accurate to start with. It stays on full for a long time and then drops steadily until it's below the halfway line and that's where it drops like a rock as you said. I generally figure that just below the halfway mark, it's closer to a quarter of a tank left and once it reaches the quarter mark, it's on it's last legs and start looking for a gas station.

2011 Tri Glide with a little over 11,000 miles. My experience has been the miles left until empty on my bike can give me a "general idea" of how much further I can go, but it is not spot on accurate Usually my miles until empty comes on at 31 miles left but within 15 to 18 actual miles traveled it will read 10 and then immediately go to LO. It has hit LO a couple of times but has not run out of gas, and it will not take the full 6 gallons in the tank on refill so there has always been a small reserve in there like .15 gallons.

So I basically give myself 15 miles to gas up the trike when the miles until empty indicator is engaged.

On my two wheeler BMW the miles to empty indicator is very accurate. It comes on at 49 miles left to go and runs down the miles as they are actually happening.

These have been my experiences... ymmv.

Ditto GoSlo. We start looking for gas around 150 miles, saves some anxiety. Again, a minor miscalculation, and a closed gas station put us in the same spot. Got to see the 'count down' window and the low fuel light come on, so I now know they work. This is the first Harley I've owned that actually had a somewhat accurate gas gage. All the others you ran out, switched to reserve and crossed your fingers.

Depending upon how i was riding my low light will come on between 160/175 miles, Then the count down Gage comes on and reads 31miles to empty, Then at 10 miles it reads Lo, I've gone as many as 18 miles on Lo. When i do pull that stunt i carry a gal and a half container in the trunk.
But i fill the tank right up to the neck, And the count down will read [after it resets] 225 miles to empty.. 11 T/G.

With almost 58k miles on my '10 TG and my perchant for playing gas roulette, here's what I have found. for the most part, I ignore the needle. Sits on full, then drops fast.
I find the remaining amount to be pretty close. When it hits "lo" I switch to mileage. note also that the reserve light usually comes on when there is about 1 gallon left. That said, if I am going fast, it may come on a bit later. The computer can't keep up with me.
Coming back from Tucson last Dec., I was in Nowhere, TX. Really looking for gas. Pulled off exit, was a couple miles past what should have been Zero miles. As I went over overpass, trike sputtered. Kept running as I crested and made it into gas station. Filled 6.2 gallons in 6.0 gal tank. And, yes, I always fill that last 1/2 annoying gallon that you need to put in slow.
Did I mention that I always carry 1 gal when West of the Mississippi? Didn't need it this time, but it has saved me and others before.:qpnmt::Wrong:

Bikerbozo - what do you recommend for carrying that extra gas? I have tried 2 of the Reda cans - nicely made, but both make the trunk smell of gas, so I don't trust them not to leak. They are also hard to use to fill the tank.

Bikerbozo - what do you recommend for carrying that extra gas? I have tried 2 of the Reda cans - nicely made, but both make the trunk smell of gas, so I don't trust them not to leak. They are also hard to use to fill the tank.
I just use a standard 1 gal plastic can with internally stored spout. As far as smell, I either store it anywhere my clothing isn't or just strap it on luggage rack. It's only fumes that escape. They are meant to relieve pressure now.

I just use a standard 1 gal plastic can with internally stored spout. As far as smell, I either store it anywhere my clothing isn't or just strap it on luggage rack. It's only fumes that escape. They are meant to relieve pressure now.
I know what you mean by relieving pressure ! Someone is going to end up in a lawsuit over those things. Trouble is they are all that you can buy now, short of a jerry can.
High Desert Harley in Idaho still had a bunch of the older Reda cans that you can seal.
:Trike1:

I never had a gas gauge on a motorcycle until 2006 when I bought my FLHTI. I guess I'm hard-wired from so many years without a gauge...I start looking for gas around the 120 mile mark. My fuel gauge is a good indicator of how much gas is in the tank, but mine is not accurate enough to take the fuel levels to the last mile.

I average 192 miles per tank, which I can live with, but should be able to get more. Maybe if I slow down I can get more. ThumbUp
I consider the gage to be very accurate.
Normally I have to make a pit stop anyway long before I need gas so I rarely am riding on fumes. :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png