What states require trike riders to have a motorcycle endorsements.

AzDaven

Aug 26, 2012
Phoenix
What states require trike riders to have a motorcycle endorsements.

Hi everybody I'm not sure if I brought this up before but as a disabled person living in Arizona I've been riding my motorcycle with a permit for the last six months. In Arizona in order to have a motorcycle endorsement which is required to ride a trike I cannot just go to the DMV, take a road course, e pay $18 and get my endorsement. None of the DMV's in Arizona are outfitted for trikes. Sheerly because of its size, tries can not fit through the course. Instead I have to pay $350 because there is only one business in Arizona that offers a trike training course. This is discriminatory against people with disabilities as per the ADA and my attorney and I are about to file suit against the state of Arizona.

What I need from you all is I need to know what states do not require trikes to have a motorcycle endorsement. Please let me know if your state does or does not require an endorsement. I really need to hear from all 50 states. Thank you

If you're a moderator if you can place a sticky on this to make sure everybody sees it for a couple of weeks I would appreciate it.

Thank You

Re: . What states require trike riders to have a motorcycle endorsements.

VA is adding a separate trike endorsement in July. MSCV.ORG puts on bike and trike courses in centeral VA. Ranges are big enough for either course, and completion of the road test earns you the endorsement from the DMV. Classes cost the same. Don't know yet whether the endorsement costs the same.

I don't know if this is feasible for you, but will AZ honor a successful class and road test from another state?

As I understand it, in New Jersey a trike is considered a motorcycle and there is no separate "trike license" needed. I have no idea what "road test" is required if you show up on a trike to take the test. Our Motor Vehicle Testing locations have a small "road course" (located on the property) that cars follow with the examiner with you in the car. I was told by someone that, on a bike, they send your around part of the course and watch you from a distance. Maybe some else will know for sure.

I got a m/c licence so long, I think the test was riding down the street, turning around, and riding back to the start. If you didn't wobble or fall over, you passed. :D :laugh:

In Colorado, to ride a two-wheel motorcycle you have to have a license (written test and driving test to get the "M" endorsement). This license allows you to ride two- or three-wheelers. You can also get a license to ride a trike (M3), but does not allow you to ride a two-wheeler. Found this on the Internet about getting a license for a trike:

Enroll in a Sidecar/Trike Education Program (S/TEP) training course and, after successful completion of the course, present your S/TEP certification card at a Driver's License office. When you present your S/TEP certification card at a Driver's License office, the written and drive tests are waived. Pay the fee to add the endorsement to your license.

I believe it's a $23 charge, but could not swear by it.

Hope this helps and good luck in getting your license.

In Maryland you are required to have a Motorcycle endorsement for a Trike.

In Ohio, if you already have an M Class endorsement for a 2 wheeler, you can ride a trike. If not, there is a separate 3 wheel motorcycle endorsement. You can take the test at the BMV. They WILL move the cones to accommodate a trike!

MarciaG :)

In Rhode Island you must have a motorcycle endorsement for a 3 wheeler.... at the present time you can only get your endorsement on a 2 wheeler.

In Nevada all u need is a Car driver license
Hisst

In Illinois you have to have an M class license to ride any size motorcycle or Trike. But you do have to ride the trike thru a test course according to a friend of mine who had to ride the test course. I have had my M class since I was 16 years old.

In Idaho class training for "trikes only" and you'll get a motorcycle endorsement for trikes only (not 2-wheel).

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but if you are filing a law suite, the members posting here most likely nothing to the court. What is needed is the information published by every state DMV. I would visit each states DMV web site to compile your information. Just my thoughts.

Rhode Island requires you to have a motorcycle endorsement on your license for a trike; RI does not recognize trikes as a separate entity...yet.

In order to get your MC endorsement you must pass the MSF Basic Rider Course (classroom & range) to obtain your permit. After 30 days you pay another $26.50 and get your license w/ the MC endorsement.

If, however, you have a "handicap" that prevents you from riding a 2 wheeler, and can get a MD's note to that effect, they will give a private range session to meet the MSF range requirement on a trike that you provide so that they do not violate the ADA. You still attend the classroom session with everyone else. While your RI license endorsement does not differentiate between a two and three wheel motorcycle; the MSF BRC completion certificate needed to obtain your MC permit does. In theory, you are not qualified to ride a two wheeler even though no one would know from your RI DL.:xzqxz:

Riders in RI are trying to get the State Legislature to change the law which would allow the MSF trike course to also qualify for a trike license endorsement.

South Carolina does NOT require a motorcycle license for trikes, auto license will do the trick for 3 wheels. A couple of years ago they tried a 3 wheel only endorsement and it didn't fly.

In New York you must have an "M" endorsement. What is interesting is that if you take your road test on 2 wheels you can drive either 2 or 3 but if you take it on a trike or a Quike (training wheels type trike, quad or 4 wheels) you can only drive a trike. Well, that is the way it was in the last century when I began riding, the laws may have changed in the last 50 years...

California law for trikes is regular drivers license, no mc license required. It's about the ONLY law we don't have!!!!

Texas requires a M endorsement to ride trikes. So, if you have a motorcycle endorsement from riding 2 2heeelers in a past life, you are legally permitted to ride a trike. I would recommend taking a trike course. Insurance premiums are reduced in many cases with the recent course.

Least expensive way to take a trike course is to join GWRRA and take their trike course. This does not lead to a motorcycle endorsement (at least not in Texas), but it does provide great instruction = safer riders and afore mentioned lower insurance rates.

Suing for the principle is noble, foolish, but noble. You will spend a lot more than the $350.00 it will cost for the DMV training.

I called the motor vehicle licensing bureau and found out you can test on a Trike in the State of Misssouri. The normal endorsement for a motorcycle is a "M" endorsement. If you test on a trike you will get a "W" endorsement and it will limit you to a trike only and prohibit you from operating a two wheel motorcycle on the road.

:Trike1:

Florida you can get a trike only restriction "X" to your "M" license. Must take an approved trike course. Not discriminatory here because you have to take a motorcycle course if you want a "M" endorsement also. So all that want to ride 2 or 3 wheels in Florida have to pay to take a course. If moving here from out of state and your current license is motorcycle endorsed it is accepted.

Yes, in Massachusetts you must have a motorcycle license to ride a trike, since it's considered a three-wheeled motorcycle (and called a limited use vehicle). If you take and pass the road test on a trike, then you'll receive a motorcycle license with a J endorsement, which shows as "Motorcycle-limited vehicle use only".

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png