Here is what I have learned

May 10, 2013
Pensacola, Fl
2008 GW CSC. After having the bike for about 10 days, I have learned a few things.ThumbUp

I did a 200 mile ride today, mostly country roads. Pushing, pulling AND twisting the throttle with the right hand takes some work.

Throttle takes some practice. Not the most responsive

28mpg interstate, 75 to 85 mph

31 mpg around town, red lights and traffic.

34 mpg back roads and small towns.

180 to 220 mile range before fill up.

Handles the big curves better than expected. Just as fast as the Harley Heritage.

Butt is not numb after 200 mile ride.

Push that handle bar… it will turn and hold the road. Have faith, push.

Wind is a factor. The wind gusts across fields are a force to be reckoned with.
Buffeting is an issue. Need lowers.

Highway speed, the steering is very sensitive.

Back brakes suck.
Best brake is engine braking. Very effective.

Lots of lookers and talkers.

Love all the little compartments to put stuff in.

Most of All; I LOVE IT. pepper

That sensation will go away by the time you get another 500 on your meter. When you do a 4 or 5 hundred mile day in the wind, you will really appreciate the rake. Depending on reach, you might want to look into a set of risers. Skuuter has a post on this site explaining how to install a set. If your reach is a little on the short side, you will find that they make big difference after a long day of riding.

Got risers. Feels great, I just have to get used to it. I have 41lbs in the front tire, (Mich, Pilot Actin rolling backwards). Maybe try 38 lbs.

Also:
The Gas gauge seems to be very accurate.
The Low fuel light came on and I really did have about a gallon of gas left.
The Speedo also seems very accurate.

Throttle takes some practice. Not the most responsive

A lot of people ride in a higher gear than they need to be in the twisties. Try dropping down a gear and the throttle will be more responsive and you'll use less brakes. I notice my mileage will also be better even though I'm at a higher RPM. The Gl1800 engine doesn't lug at lower speeds, but seems to just use more gas. In tight twisties I'm mostly in 2nd and 3rd and occasionally 4th. Being used to a Harley, the 1800 engine may sound like it is revving to high to you, but it's not. Several extremely good riders told me they keep rpm's up around 4500.

I'll second what Shimpy said about the gears. I mainly use 5th gear for the four lane or above 60. The 1800 performs much better at 3000 and above.

Really... 4500RPM
I was trying to keep it below 3000. I guess that is exactly backwards.
I have an all day ride planned for Saturday. I will be checking that out.

A lot of people ride in a higher gear than they need to be in the twisties. Try dropping down a gear and the throttle will be more responsive and you'll use less brakes. I notice my mileage will also be better even though I'm at a higher RPM. The Gl1800 engine doesn't lug at lower speeds, but seems to just use more gas. In tight twisties I'm mostly in 2nd and 3rd and occasionally 4th. Being used to a Harley, the 1800 engine may sound like it is revving to high to you, but it's not. Several extremely good riders told me they keep rpm's up around 4500.

"YEP".....unless I'm gonna' be running above 60 mph for an extended time, high gear on the 1800 Gold Wing engine is useless. Best "Power Range" the engine has is 3000 to 5000 RPM. It has quick revs, and great engine braking in this range requiring less actual braking. Good Engine Braking (quick check up of speed when rolling out of the throttle) on a downhill is a great indicator of correct "gear for the road/situation"...it is also Your engine's maximum efficiency range for head/cylinder temps, fuel mileage, spark knock, and consistant transmission gear loading.

Twisties, I pretty much run 2nd and/or 3rd gear.....Open Road, 3rd and 4th gear. I also try to find the gear that will require the least amount of shifting up or down (even if the revs exceed what I prefer by 500 RPM or less), and brake useage when riding twisties.......ThumbUp

Great info, guys. Thanks.
I am leaving in about an hour for an all day ride, including some foothill mountains in South Alabama. I am going to learn alot today.
3000 to 4500 or 5000, huh!! Should be fun.

Re: Here is what I have learned, again

Thanks, Shimpy.
Big ride today. 330 miles. Big curves, hills, and mini-twisties. A lot of country roads, and small towns. (great lunch, too).
33 MPG overall. Not bad, considering I was slamming it all day. The guys I rode with like to test their throttle.

I took your advice, and tried to keep the RPM over 3000. Thats a little tough to do. The only time I could get to 4000 RPM was when I would go 65 in 3rd gear. However in the curves and twists I stayed in 4th gear, about 60 to 70 mph. There were a couple of twists I had to downshift to 3rd. Stayed over 3000 rpm. It made a big difference in throttle control. Very responsive. Also, the engine braking was almost all I needed to slow down. Good advice.

Steering: The secret seems to be this. Don't oversteer. Don't understeer, and if you do, don't overcorrect. I have really got a pretty good feel for it now. Steering is probably the most NEW thing about riding a trike. It takes some practice, and experience.

Here is what I learned about the bike. Keep in mind, I have the right setup for the bike.
THE THING MUST HAVE GLUE ON THE TIRES... It stuck great. There were a couple of times I could feel the weight shift to lifting the inside rear wheel. That was great.
Bad roads were not kind to me. The front tire in particular would react significantly on bumps and poor grade. Bumpy roads in the curves were butt puckering. I have the pressure at 40.
I learned to push and pull with my left arm, for the most part, and use the right mostly for throttle. There were a couple of times while trying to push with the right, I was throttling up inadvertantlly.
I was riding with a Vaquaro, and a Nomad. I was proudly surprised that I had to slow down a few times to stay off their backside. The only time I had to hit the brake was to not hit the Vaquaro. They were impressed that they could never shake me.
I put the Air wings on this past week, and that helped a lot with the wind. However, when there is a side gust from a field, the bike reacts noticably.

I'll think of more as I relax some. Please excuse the lousey spelling.
I can not be happier with the bike. I am proud and pleased.

"Bumps in Corners"...The Frontend of my Gold Wing Trike had Progressive Springs a SUPER BRACE, and a Michelin Pilot Activ Tire....all of these things helped mine a lot in bumpy tight corners and transitions. I ride this type road almost daily.....ThumbUp

"Bumps in Corners"...The Frontend of my Gold Wing Trike had Progressive Springs a SUPER BRACE, and a Michelin Pilot Activ Tire....all of these things helped mine a lot in bumpy tight corners and transitions. I ride this type road almost daily.....ThumbUp

I'll have to keep this in my back pocket for when I get my 12 GL triked, I have the Super Brace fork brace already and will do the springs and tire when its triked.

Re: Here is what I have learned, again

However, when there is a side gust from a field, the bike reacts noticably.

There isn't much you can do about side gusts. I noticed my trike reacts more to side gusts than when 2 wheels. Seems 2 wheels would just lean over and I'd countersteer to correct it. The trike doesn't give and lets the wind push me to the side. All you can do is steer into it. The side profile of either a trike or bike is almost identical.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png