Hand and Arm Arthritis

Tinbasher

Oct 18, 2012
North West UK
I have had to give up taking NSAID painkillers because of gastric bleeding.

The pain in my hands and arms is now much worse, especially my throttle hand. Any tips, ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.

I am planning a very special ride next year and need to find a solution so I can ride sensible distances over a few days.

Check out the adapter for the throttle that you simply push with the palm of your hand. (about $5) I might even have one out in the shop if so I will let you know and give it to you. Or you can always go with the electronic cruise control.

Check out the adapter for the throttle that you simply push with the palm of your hand. (about $5) I might even have one out in the shop if so I will let you know and give it to you. Or you can always go with the electronic cruise control.

Yeah I'm having a look at one of those, I need a large one as my bars are 28mm. I appreciate the offer to send me one but the postage would probably be more than the costbtonbuynone over here.

The UK BMW R1200c Trikers are planning a ride down to northern Italy next year for the European BMW Cruiser rally. It's about 1000 miles each way for meso need to get my riding stamina up.

I take 1 Aleve per day for arthritis. Seems to help. Cruise control is my favorite invention since sliced bread. Keep a roll of Duct Tape handy in case you can't hold the throttle at some point (who needs that pesky front brake anyways).

I am able to tolerate Diclofenac (Voltaren) without any gastric issues. Tramadol (Ultram or Ultracet) might be helpful too (this isn't a NSAID.) Both are by prescription only and usually not to pricey and covered by most insurances.

Lady, ironically it was diclofenac I was taking!

I saw my GP today and he has given me a supply of tramadol which I have been taking occasionally.

Luckily on our National Health Service everything is covered, :)

I may be completely wrong, but I'll throw it out there anyway. My Doc gave me a tube of gel to use when my hands & wrists are killing me, it's Voltaren Gel (diclofenac). I know the oral stuff is what you're avoiding, but I can't help wondering if this gel will safely work since it is topically applied. This gel sure helps me on bad days &/or long rides.
It may be worth checking with your Doc to see what he/she says, since your National Health Service "COVERS EVERYTHING". ;) :D

Take a look at Qwi gloves. I used to use nsaids in the morning and at bedtime for various aches and pains before ulcers put a stop to that. The owner/designer is an orthopedic surgeon. I am reasonably sure he would respond to your questions and tell you whether or not his gloves would help. I have a bulging disc affecting my left arm and wrist and swear by his gloves.

It may be worth checking with your Doc to see what he/she says, since your National Health Service "COVERS EVERYTHING". ;) :D

Lol sorry I couldn't help myself, some folks in your country seems so afraid of our kind of medical care but from a users viewpoint it's a fine system. End of politics.

I asked my GP today about the gel (Voltarol in the UK) he told me that while there is a chance that the ulcer is still not fully healed I should avoid the gel as it does still have an effect n the gut. Apparently it dries up the protective mucus.

Once the ulcer is fully healed I can use it sparingly.

He did suggest taking Glucosamine Sulphate (??) which is not a licenced medicine in the UK. So I WILL have to pay for it lol! Apparently its classed as a food supplement here.

Tom

Thanks David ill look onto these gloves.

I forgot about those gloves, I bought a pair at a rally in '09 and won't ride without them. They help me for a while and as long as I take a break when refilling the gas tank I'm good, but without them & the gel I'm ready to head home after 30 or 40 minutes and I'd bet they will help you. Here's the web site.
Qwi Gloves For Hand Pain & Numbness: Home

He did suggest taking Glucosamine Sulphate (??) which is not a licenced medicine in the UK. So I WILL have to pay for it lol! Apparently its classed as a food supplement here.

Tom

My Dad took Glucosamine for years, it seemed to help with his hands & wrists and other joint pain, but it did nothing for me. It's sold as a supplement over here also, but I don't think it costs too much. I hope it helps.

I have taken most of the above meds...Enbrel and Humira has helped my severe arthritic condition. started on enbrel but had to switch to Humira because I have Chrones desease also..The joys of getting older..:gah:

I had suggested the Ultram & Diclofenac. There are also creams that a compounding pharmacy may make up for you based on your doctors orders. I had 1 that had Gabapentin (Neurontin) & a numbing medicine in it as well. Never worked for me but others have had success, just massaged into the area several times a day. I can say that a topical (cream) is not as potent as taking a pill and potentially will be less harmful/side effects. I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in March for the pain in my right hand. Works well for some, fair for me.

I had suggested the Ultram & Diclofenac. There are also creams that a compounding pharmacy may make up for you based on your doctors orders. I had 1 that had Gabapentin (Neurontin) & a numbing medicine in it as well. Never worked for me but others have had success, just massaged into the area several times a day. I can say that a topical (cream) is not as potent as taking a pill and potentially will be less harmful/side effects. I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in March for the pain in my right hand. Works well for some, fair for me.

Thanks Lady, I guess I'm just going to try and see what works. I am already on a fairly hefty pain management regime for the spinal cord injury and my nerve pain is well controlled by Pregabalin and tramadol. What has surprised me is the increase in hand pain since stopping the NSAIDs. I agree with you on topical treatments they don't have much effect for me and if I use any of the capsicum based rubs on my hands they inevitably end up in my eye!

I have ordered three months supply of glucosamine at 1500mg a day well see how that works. I have also ordered a Crampbuster.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Tom

I've had CTS in my hands for years as well as knee problems. A by product of treating my knees is I've found some relief for my hands from a spray I use. It's Biofreeze. Active Ingredient is Natural Menthol USP 19%. Acts as cooling pain reliever. Is neither oily or messy. Available over the country in spray or roll-on for about $US15.

I buy Absorbine Liniment for horses at the local farm supply store. It's extra strong(menthol) and smells like mint. My wife can tell right away when I'm using it because I smell "minty fresh".
You just have to be really,really careful not to get it on any "sensitive areas"!!!
I'll leave the definition of "sensitive areas" to your imagination.

Yes I just realised that trike riding has a correlation between age and speed.

50 is fun

60 is a bit painful

70 is uncomfortable and leaves you a bit deaf

80+ you just hang on best you can and feel you might die any minute! :)

Tinbasher, have you ever tried DMSO? There is another form of DMSO that I use. It's called Soothanol. They now call it Soothanol x2. I have very arthritic wrists and I use this sometimes to take off the edge. Regular DMSO works also and is alot cheaper if you can stan 15 minutes of the itchies. I have a roll on around of this stuff too.
Amazon and E bay sell the soothanol and DMSO. :)

I hope the gloves or something works for you. I love Italy and the UK. Wish I could afford the airfare. I could eat my way through Italy and learned to appreciate and love wine :) Best of luck and hoping for great results!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png