Is it normal for the TPMS to be not connected with Motor Trike kits?

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
Is it normal for the TPMS to be not connected with Motor Trike kits?

Todays dumb question.
With my trike the TPMS dash light works as it should.
When I had the trike in for repairs a while back the tech mentioned there was no TPMS hookup for my rear tires.
Is this normal??
The front connection seems to be there, although I have not lowered the pressure enough to know if its working or not.

If there are no connections on the rear....does anyone know why??

Re: Is it normal for the TPMS to be not connected with Motor Trike kits?

My Lehman has a sticker in the trunk stating that the TPMS has been disconnected.

Todays dumb question.
With my trike the TPMS dash light works as it should.
When I had the trike in for repairs a while back the tech mentioned there was no TPMS hookup for my rear tires.
Is this normal??
The front connection seems to be there, although I have not lowered the pressure enough to know if its working or not.

If there are no connections on the rear....does anyone know why??

I DON'T KNOW, so this is just a thought: On the newer Goldwings TPMS is built-in, possibly in the wheels, and there is only one rear wheel - which is far different from the rear wheels (plural) that come with the trike kits so there is no sensor present for the bike to "read".

When I bought mine the dealer just crossed some wires so it never lit up anymore because he said it doesn't work with the Motortrike kit

I no expert but, TPMS systems are like a "mini-radio" system. The transmitter in either inside the tire/wheel or "external" - part of the valve stem. The "receiver" is located elsewhere and is part of what you are looking at on the dash (or wherever). After the rear wheel is removed during trike conversion, say goodbye to the rear wheel transmitter. Unless the 2 new rear trike wheels are fitted with compatible transmitters and the "receiver" is now capable of receiving 3 channels, rather than 2, it seems unlikely that ANY trike conversion, not just MotorTrike, would have "built in", 3 wheel TPMS.

My TPMS system uses an enternal "key fob" type of receiver/display and the sensors are externally mounted on the valve stem rather than the usual valve stem cap. Works great.

Remember, I could be wrong... (but I don't think so) :D ;)

My tech who had never worked on a MT kit but is a DFT tech said there is or should be some sort of wire running to the rear brake system.
But that makes more sense with DFT trikes setups.

So from what you all have said I guess its normal to not have it on most rear wheel setups for trikes.
I can accept that.

Thanks guys.

My 2006 did not have built-in TPMS. When my beloved was still a 2-wheeler I bought an expensive "Key-fob" unit. When I triked her I would have had to buy a very expensive 3-wheel unit so I did some research and here is what I came up with:

Last year I installed LED SMART CAP tire pressure monitoring valve caps. These things are put out by the Ride-On tire sealant company and cost $29.95 for a set of two. (I bought two sets so I have a spare.) They are self calibrating when you screw them on the valve stem and if the pressure drops, the very bright LED light in the cap will definitely alert you. No key-fob to carry. I have just made it a habit to glance at my tires every day before I ride. Only once the light was on with a rear tire and sure 'nuf, I was 4 lbs low. Never would have noticed it without that cap! MUCH cheaper alternative to "the other" TPMS!

My 2006 did not have built-in TPMS. When my beloved was still a 2-wheeler I bought an expensive "Key-fob" unit. When I triked her I would have had to buy a very expensive 3-wheel unit so I did some research and here is what I came up with:

Last year I installed LED SMART CAP tire pressure monitoring valve caps. These things are put out by the Ride-On tire sealant company and cost $29.95 for a set of two. (I bought two sets so I have a spare.) They are self calibrating when you screw them on the valve stem and if the pressure drops, the very bright LED light in the cap will definitely alert you. No key-fob to carry. I have just made it a habit to glance at my tires every day before I ride. Only once the light was on with a rear tire and sure 'nuf, I was 4 lbs low. Never would have noticed it without that cap! MUCH cheaper alternative to "the other" TPMS!

When you say self calibrating, I assume you mean when you first put them on, it recognizes the correct pressure and alerts you if it drops? Or are they "pre set" for specific air pressure ranges? Sounds like a pretty cool method of checking tire pressures!!

When you say self calibrating, I assume you mean when you first put them on, it recognizes the correct pressure and alerts you if it drops? That is correct. Or are they "pre set" for specific air pressure ranges? No. Sounds like a pretty cool method of checking tire pressures!! I thought so!

I hope the above is helpful.

I like the idea of the "self" adjusting caps.
Its just one more thing that Ive found I don't have on my GW.
Thanks for all the thoughts guys.
Its out of my thoughts for now..........

I am on 3rd Goldwing Trike. 1989 GL1500 w/CSC. 2009 GL1800 w/DFT and now 2017 w/MT. On all Goldwings with TPMS, the sensor for the wheels is on the inside of the rim. Therefore, there is no way to have two rear wheels communicate with the Honda system. The system must be deactivated. I tried mounting a sensor inside a PVC pipe that I inflated to the correct rear tire pressure and activated it with the ATEQ-VT15. I was hoping to at least have the front wheel TPMS working. At the time I was only enabling the rear sensor. I think you have to do both sensors. Anyway, I jumpered the wires under the right panel to disable the TPMS and installed the external Tire Guard for Trikes. 3 sensors and a key fob. The trike version has since been discontinued. In the photo the front tire PSI shows zero but it really does show actual PSI on all 3 wheels.

Attachments

• TireGard_Trike.JPG
    TireGard_Trike.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 69
  • TPMS_project.JPG
    TPMS_project.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 65

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamblin9511

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamblin9511
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png