2013 Tri POOR BRAKES

Big Red

Mar 5, 2013
Hutchinson KS
Just turned 6,000 miles.And my back brakes need replaced Any one have a better brake pad then the factory one for replacement.
There not all the way gone but its time to replace.
If this is a ever 6,000 or 7.ooo mile change that going to suck

Bill/Big Red

If you have the original parking brake, a number of people just loosen it up or remove it. That is a big source of brake pad rubbing. My parking brake mechanism was all replaced and works better now.

I asume you ride a TG if so I think HD has a issue with the brakes ?

The brakes will get the job done, they just require a little tweaking to make them right. The parking brake if not adjusted properly will eat the brake pads like a fat kid goes through a snickers bar. If you do a lot of stop and go riding and due the majority of your braking with the rears you'll be replacing them often. It is quite possible with a mixed freeway city riding to get close to 20,000 miles out of the rear brakes, my dad has done it and I know of others who have also.

The brakes will get the job done, they just require a little tweaking to make them right. The parking brake if not adjusted properly will eat the brake pads like a fat kid goes through a snickers bar. If you do a lot of stop and go riding and due the majority of your braking with the rears you'll be replacing them often. It is quite possible with a mixed freeway city riding to get close to 20,000 miles out of the rear brakes, my dad has done it and I know of others who have also.

Hey now!!!! I love my Snickers Bars!!! :D

I never had an issue with the rear brakes espically after I removed the parking brake and replaced the pads with Lyndall Gold. I can slide the rear if I want to.

At 7000 miles on my Tri Glide the rear brake pads are shot. ALSO both rear Rotors have to be replaced. Trike is down for a week waiting on parts. Dontcha just love HD????
what year is your trike?? mine were shot at 4000 miles and the rotors..

My rear brakes squeal like mad when I ride

Poorly adjusted parking brake will do this. When mine had 2,500 miles on it I had a kid who worked at Subway chase me down to tell me my brakes were bad. I looked at him and said they were find, the trike is a Harley and didn't he know Hog's Squeeled.

My rear brakes squeal like mad when I ride
what I have found is the slider bushings are sticking and not working properly when Mine were removed some good quality caliper grease helped the bushing slide better.

Parking brake adjustment,Caliper sticking also could be a problem ..

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png