To clean or not to clean?

Reaction score
We just got home for a 2600+ mile trip out to Colorado. I used to clean the trike every night but this time we were late getting in and I was too tired so I only cleaned it once the whole week. When we got home last night my wife said she didn't think she had seen the bike so dirty before. I did get up this morning and give her a good wash and wax.

My question is do you clean your bike when on a long trip or not?

I like a clean motorcycle, so I will wash it while on a trip. Many hotels/motels are surprisingly accommodating about washing on property, but there is usually a wand wash in most towns.

Did a 2600 mile trip last month..at night, cleaned windshield and front lights only..then a good scrubbing when home.. We stayed at a Best Western in Missoula, Montana last week that had 2 parking spots blocked off for motorcycle washing only. Had a water hose and a bucket of old but clean towels for use. Stayed at a Hotel in Salmon Idaho the next night that had the same thing. Best Westerns are becoming very Biker friendly. Even get a discount for being a H.O.G. member.

I clean and wipe down my bike every night!! Only takes a few minutes and I have found that is easier to keep it clean (nightly) than it is to wait until the trip is over and have a real mess to contend with.

I don't really care what others think/do, it makes me feel better to be on a clean bike on a trip (at least for a few hours in the morning!!). I don't harass others for NOT cleaning their rides, and I do not like anyone to criticize me for cleaning my bike every night at the motel!!

Roger

But it's so much more fun if you wait until the ride's done to try and get the bugs off after they've been sun baked and wind dried for a few days!!

But it's so much more fun if you wait until the ride's done to try and get the bugs off after they've been sun baked and wind dried for a few days!!

not really---when my trike is "bug bombed" i spray it with peroxide and watch the bugs bubble then spray it with my water bottle and wipe it off

When you pull out in the morning, in 1 hour, the front of the bike can look like you never touched it the night before. And since you are gonna scrub it down when you get home anyway, why waste the time on the road cleaning bugs when you could be doing other interesting stuff that you cant see or do at home. That is Trent's walnut sized brain reasoning.

A motorcycle can be really clean or really ridden, not both at the same time.;)

When on the road, our trike usually only gets a good wash-down when it rains. I keep a spray bottle of ionized water and a microfiber cloth to keep the windshield clean. That gets a wiping at every gas stop. The trike is kept clean while at home, but on a trip, the grime and bugs are a testament to the miles ridden.

Bayoudave.....I pretty much agree with you....throw the Wife in the shower ( the trike can wait until we get home )........ We enjoy our little trips ...........

I must be the odd ball. I clean my bike every night when on a trip. I'm not getting on a dirty bike & riding all day ! Only take a little bit of time. Hell when on a ride and we stop for gas. The spray wax comes out and I wipe her down. At a motel or where ever. After we eat Its time to clean her up. Take care of my ride. My Ride takes care of me ThumbUp

Let me get my two cents in ,,, I'm gonna clean mine , it doesn't take but a few minutes to pull out the S&N and spray on wipe off . I do understand if your on a journey and riding nasty roads day in day out that's different but just for a few overnight stays , pull out that microfiber and rub it off !!!! :gah::gah:

Hope this don't cause a "problem" with the husbands out there but my lovely wife does all the detailing of vehicles in our "fleet" and yes even on road trips,always has.Even does the neighbors Harley for him on his birthday.
If no hose is available ,she will yake the little trash can,fill with warm water and clean the trike,each night.Sometimes she even gets in trouble with the other wives for doing so.Always feels good to be on a clean bike and when people look at it and ask questions,usually they can't believe its a 1997.
Most of the time we can ride all day and only have a few bugs or dirt and that's over 200,000 miles of trips.
Now there is a catch,she hates to cook!,so since we met I agreed to do all the cooking and she does the cleaning.Has wooked for more than 30 years for us.

Hope this don't cause a "problem" with the husbands out there but my lovely wife does all the detailing of vehicles in our "fleet" and yes even on road trips,always has.Even does the neighbors Harley for him on his birthday.
If no hose is available ,she will yake the little trash can,fill with warm water and clean the trike,each night.Sometimes she even gets in trouble with the other wives for doing so.Always feels good to be on a clean bike and when people look at it and ask questions,usually they can't believe its a 1997.
Most of the time we can ride all day and only have a few bugs or dirt and that's over 200,000 miles of trips.
Now there is a catch,she hates to cook!,so since we met I agreed to do all the cooking and she does the cleaning.Has wooked for more than 30 years for us.
:wave4::wave4,,,,,Heck of an arrangement but if that were me , they would be tired of 30 years of Mac and Cheese ,,,just saying.....:Shrug::Shrug:

I'm with Trent on this. When I was teenager - waaaaay back - I use to wash and wax my car and bike weekly. Now I'm too old to do that and prefer to ride more. I'm lucky if I wash the bike twice a year. I'll hand clean and wax the frontal area - that's all.

Windshield only while on my vacation = V.A.C.A.T.I.O.N. - get it? - no work just fun. :D

I'm not going to spray and wipe before riding Just thinking of throwing a nasty bug/dirt encrusted rag in my saddlebag or trunk before riding off, sickens me. YUCK!

Rolling Thunder, what wax do you use - - - I want to buy stock in the company.

You spray wax right over the bugs and dirt? :laugh:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png