Straight or Independent axle

2234ME

Reaction score
Hey All, I,m new to the forum. I've been riding Harleys for about 25 yrs. I have a 96 Fatboy and a 53 pan. Got hurt on the job almost 4 yrs. ago and haven't ridden since I,m going crazy. Anyway I,m ready to build a trike so I can finally get some bugs in my teeth again. and I need some input on the pros and cons of the different axles. I know Harley has a straight one on the Tri Glide but the independent sure looks like a smooth ride. I rode and wrecked an old flathead police trike years ago it had a straight axle and it did not corner well at all. Any help would would be greatly appreciated Thanks Steve

You will need to drive them both and see for yourself. I have a Lehman straight axle and love it and it corners fine. Good luck.

Hey LakeMan I can't find anyplace that will rent a trike of any kind closer than Fla. I have a place in Surfside Beach SC. just below Myrtle and they rent everything there except trikes

We spend about 5-6 months in Myrtle Beach area a year. Most of our time in Murrells Inlet, you probably know where. I know Myrtle Beach HD is a rental center but don't know about trikes. What I would suggest is going to a trike dealer and ride one of each if they have them. Cherokee trikes and more (also Victory) always has used trikes in stock. They are in Greer, SC. Dan the owner was a few years back the CEO for Lehman USA. They are expensive but you should be able to "try" a trike or two. We just got back from the fall rally, good times. Good luck.

If you want to fly around corners, get a solid axle. If you are taking a passenger and care about her comfort, get the IRS.

Welcome Pegleg. I ride both. I find the TG with solid axial handles corners great and is very stable, even at high speeds. My VW trike is IRS axial and I find it handles bumps much better. Way softer ride.

I've also had both (solid & IRS).

I have to say that I definitely prefer the IRS. It clearly has a smoother ride and that's my priority, "Comfort". She still handles the curves extremely well but I'll also admit that I'm 'not' and aggressive rider. So to me, the difference between the solid axle and the IRS is hardly noticeable regarding curves.

As already posted, it is a mixed bag. The straight axle handles the corners very well but is not as nice of ride as the independent suspension. I have a straight axle and I and my bride are very happy with it. We do a lot of long distance touring.

My current trike is a Hannigan with IRS, but previously owned a Lehman conversion with the straight axle. My feeling is that the IRS is smoother riding on rough roads but I couldn't tell any difference on straight highway stretches.

Have ridden the mountain twisties in TN and NC on both trikes and have noticed a tendency of the straight axle to lift the outside tire off the road when going in too fast. Haven't noticed this effect with the IRS axle at all.

Harley stopped making IRS trikes for some reason according to my local HD shop. Don't know why since I'm sure they ride better. Must have been a handling issue

I`ve had both. Both handle and corner fine. the IRS has a little better ride. The triglides are straight axle and always have been.

It will depend on your wallet, needs, riding habits, and roads you typically ride on.

Straight axle corners very well but rides harsh over rough roads and road irregularities. Rides fine on smooth roads and highways. Solid axle always cheaper than IRS.

IRS does not typically handle corners as well as solid but depends on design/shocks/springs. IRS is much more comfortable over rough roads and road irregularities, about the same on smooth roads and highways. IRS always more expensive than solid.

I used a solid axle on my trike. It handles very well. Unfortunately 90% of my riding is on crappy side streets. It's a rough ride and beats me up pretty good. It rides comfortable on smooth roads and highways. If I were to go back in time I would have gone IRS because of where I do most of my riding.

:Shrug: I converted my old tour glide with a straight axle champion kit last winter.
To be honest the ride is a little rough in town but i built it to tour with and not as a bar hopper, I don't have a problem with the ride on the highway.

Be sensible, equip it with air adjustable shocks. The shocks on my old glide suit the purpose just fine.

I put some intense miles on my old glide both on the open highway and in the high rocky mtns. and i really don't see the need for an independant suspension and the wife likes my trike also.

As always, your only protection against a bad build depends entirely on the integrity of the builder. I did my own and didn't need to worry about that issue.
With any kit, buy the latest improved model, buy the entire unit (everything you need to do the conversion) instead of buying piecemeal.
Rake the front end and if it's a harley beef up the top motor mount.

I have ridden trikes with independent suspension and liked them well enough.
I might insist on it if i did allot of in town riding. If your wallet can bear the added expense go with the independant suspension.

If the bike has a lot of miles on it to begin with consider new drive sprockets and a new belt to begin with.

Harley stopped making IRS trikes for some reason according to my local HD shop. Don't know why since I'm sure they ride better. Must have been a handling issue

Strait axel is less $$$ to manufacture.

Remember the Ford Explorer problems with strait rear axels. ??

Now they are IRS.

Thank you all for the information I knew I joined the right forum. All of your responses have been very helpful and informative. Hope to see you all on the road. Thanks Again Steve

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png