Straight or Independent axle

Triglide hasn't always been the only trike HD made. I have a 2011 catalog that shows a Street Glide Factory trike available.

Triglide and Street Glide trike were the same with the street glide just not having the tour-pak and the lowers along with a couple other items. Other than that they both had the exact same engine, frame, and rear axle assembly. The only other trike Harley made was the Servicar and that was solid axle. So it looks like if Harley did make IRS it was only in testing which I doubt.

I think they went solid because its cheaper to produce, has less moving parts which means lower warranty cost and lowers parts inventory.

As for which handles better:Shrug:, I put 22,000 miles on the 2010 Triglide I had. My present 2012 Gl1800 Hannigan rides smother than the Triglide and so far as I can tell handles pretty much as well as the Triglide did. Either choice a person can't go wrong.

Actually Harley. Made a couple IRS they are in the milwaukee museum. They made a open wheel rear drive and a can am style.

I went through the same thought process when purchasing my new ride this year. Purchased the straight axle and haven't looked back since. Handles just fine for the wife and I and as far as ride it is not an issue for either of us. The main reason I went straight axle is that the Trike I wanted (color & options) was already built with the Champion Straight axle and the price was really right. Good luck with your decision.

my wife and i both have trikes, hers with the irs and mine solid. i have ridden both and cannot agree with the others about the irs being a softer ride. i like my solid axle much better and think it even rides nicer, of course that's my opinion. my wife likes to ride either and she does not see much , if any difference between the two trikes. i agree that you should try a couple out and then decide for yourself, but remember if the trike is not set up correctly it won't give you a true reading, like the wrong tire pressure or shock pressure, or if the front end is not raked , etc.etc. all of the above make a huge difference in the ride and everybody's bike is set up for them , not you so you have to tweak the trike for your own preference.

Yeh, I am pondering the same questions. Hard to find a way to demo them. So relying on ya alls experience. Thanks for sharing. Hope to make a decision soon on conversion vs buying a new triglide. Heard some problems with the 14 Triglide. Most people are saying to wait until the bugs are fixed.

Nice bits of info here... I guess like lots of things it depends on how well each is set up... I am in the planning stage will am most likely going IRS due to the ruff uneven roads I travel, if I do go solid I will run higher profile tires with sidewall give for the spots the road has lifted.... not too unusual to get air on the Shadow ATM!
This will be so the wife can join me without being pillion as she hates me scrapping pegs... doesn't like the leaning but wants to join in on our group rides :)

If you want to fly around corners, get a solid axle. If you are taking a passenger and care about her comfort, get the IRS.

With all due respect, I totally disagree. Had a TriGlide, even installed Legend Air Suspension to improve the ride. Sold it and went to a Victory/CSC with IRS and easy steer and the difference in handling in the twisties and the ride comfort both are night and day. Put 1500 mies on it touring Colorado with 7 other cycles (all two wheelers) this summer and every day it was me and two BMW sport bikes out front and everyone else way behind.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyX

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyX
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png