??? Re tour-pak hinges

Aug 17, 2013
mountains, Co, USA
I have seen reference to upgrading the Tour-Pak hinges to the heavy duty variety ---- however -- looking at the HD parts n' parts catalog --- the ones I have found (part # 79211-08A) do not mention or note "heavy duty" as in added strength but seem to embrace the word and concept of "appearance" --- I am all over the concept of increasing the structural integrity of the hinge and lock system but not so sure these will really accomplish that mission statement. ---- Thus would appreciate comments from those whom have installed these hinges and locks.
TKS
G

Dang --- snow and cold here but nothing compared to the Right hand side of the country !!!

I installed a set of them myself. They are much stronger, thicker, and more solid than the original hinges. They do not rattle either. If you go to a dealer, pull 'em outta the box and compare, you will see the big functional differences. And they do look way better to top it off. You have to take the lid off and drill out the rivets holding in the old ones, then drill the holes just a size bigger to fit the new ones. I am not very mechanical but was able to do this with no problem. Very happy with them....you will be also.

I installed a set of them myself. They are much stronger, thicker, and more solid than the original hinges. They do not rattle either. If you go to a dealer, pull 'em outta the box and compare, you will see the big functional differences. And they do look way better to top it off. You have to take the lid off and drill out the rivets holding in the old ones, then drill the holes just a size bigger to fit the new ones. I am not very mechanical but was able to do this with no problem. Very happy with them....you will be also.

I originally put a pair of them on my '94 FLHTC when I repainted it. The stock set had bent slightly over the years. They worked so well and looked so much better, they were one of the 1st things I added to my trike.

Keep in mind these henge look a lot better, & are stronger, but the extra strength is just the henge not the tour pac. Lid or bottom. I put them on mine & like them a lot.

G, when you install the hinges (with the lid off) take special care with the rubber gasket when you do the drilling. I found that to be the most important issue with installation. Use a larger size bit than the rivet (couple sizes larger) and gently rock the drill from side to side until the rivet is all drilled out. I would suggest NOT drilling straight into the rivet for fear of going too far. The lid drills very easy being fiberglass so take care and go slow.

Also helps to have some help when installing the lid back on and installing the screws. I have installed about 4 or 5 sets thus far on my rides and friends bikes that were a little afraid of the process.

Take care and good luck, you will like them!!

Roger

I was going to put the premium hinges on mine. But after looking at them, and talking to the Service Dept. I decided not to.

I would rather the hinge break than the actual Tour-Pak.

It seems that now the hinge is the weak link, going to the heavier hinge makes the TP the weak link.

I'm probably over-thinking it, but I keep the hinges lubed with silicone and have and no problems, even with heavy use and regularly exceeding the weight limits by 3x-4x.

DK, Sounds like reverse engineering to me!! If either hinge breaks it is going to do damage to the tour pack, and they are expensive!! I think you ARE over thinking the issue, but it is your tour pack and you can certainly leave it is if that is your preference!!pepper

Roger

As an additional safety factor regarding the tour pack issues, and not totally trusting the tether, I installed the tour pack hinge assembly that I purchased from "E Glide Goodies" (I think that is where I purchased) and if works awesome. It holds the lid open at 90 degrees whereas the tether let's it open more than 90 degrees to the length of the tether, and if the tether comes out of the retractor, there goes the lid!! I have read thread of other bikers that this actually happened and the repair was "buy another lid !!

Roger

I installed a length of chain to keep the lid from crashing down if the tether breaks. Cost about 2.00 and that lid is not going anywhere. Didn't have to drill any holes to install it either.

I installed the hinges on my TG when first purchased it and I am very happy with them. I was afraid the original cheap hinges would break and damage my tour pack.

I put both hinges and latches on. I like them both.
Dennis

003.jpg002.jpg

"A few little things to my bike", if you look at my signature you will note I have spent a little $$ on my ride as well!! Would do it again!pepper

Take care and ride safe Dennis,

Roger

"A few little things to my bike", if you look at my signature you will note I have spent a little $$ on my ride as well!! Would do it again!pepper

Take care and ride safe Dennis,

Roger

I see allot of that, now I know why most parts are always "back ordered", everyone else has bought it all up! :D
It is the Misc. Chrome Accessories that will get you! ask Trent

Yep... The list is long...Some add-on accessories I installed a coupla years ago I have now replaced with newer stuff. I have new crap sitting on the Mustang seat right now waiting for my HD tech Buddy to come over and sip Crown and help me install. New front brake and clutch levers,,,the new extended turn signal switches..... More lights for the front end... I easily have 55K into that 32K TG now...I am on my 3rd air breather!! 3rd set of mufflers...!! Dunno if it will ever end. All of Dennis's stuff of course,,,including my favorite one of a kind add on. !!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png