The new Indian

Reaction score
Living in the state of Florida i see hundreds of bikes and trikes everyday being driven on our roads. I have not seen a single Indian motorcycle on the road in the last 3 months so it appears to me that sales are not going as expected. I know they are a nice looking ride with high reviews but it would take something special and out of the ordinary to get riders to give up their Harleys and buy a Indian and i don't see any. They are air cooled with about the same size engine as a Harley and have 6 speeds like a Harley and the price is comparable to a Harley so why would someone switch over, they won't. I know they have the money backing them but i personally do not think they will make it as there is no real good reason to buy one instead of a Harley. You can buy parts for Harleys anywhere as well as get them serviced anywhere in the country but not a Indian. I would love to see a Indian trike as it would be beautiful if the bike matched the lines of the front fender but i do not think that will happen either as not enough of them are being sold to convince a manufacturer to start building the kits. Time will tell but i personally do not see a future for Indian Bikes for quite a few years unless they would be satisfied with being just another motorcycle a person can buy and i don't think Polaris will be happy with that so something will have to be done.

I know Hannigan is in the process of developing a trike conversion and side car for the new Indians. They should be available in the first quarter of 2014. At present, the lack of an established dealership network is their biggest issue. Just my opinion.

Now with that being said, I recently went to the Charlotte NC Indian dealership. Those new bikes are fantastic! The build quality is top notch and if you like the nostalgia, you just can't beat the style. My choice would be the Indian Vintage model. And you have to hear that 111 engine!!

The Indian was always my dream bike. I highly doubt I'll ever own one, so she'll continue to be my dream bike, lol.

in my opinion, the rear end styling would look better with a conversion kit on it. to me that is the only ugly part of their bike.

Indian will do good until they run out of people who want a retro looking bike..
The question will be when some one walks up to a new owner and asks is that a ''Real'' Indian or is that a new one...?
That said I hope they do good, competition helps improve all bikes.

I have owned a used 1947 Indian back in the days but since then have only owned Harleys. I agree with all of you about the Indian being a great looking ride and i especially like the thread about it being a retro looking bike, which it is. I personally like all the bells and whistles on my trike as i am an old fart that likes to ride in comfort. I think it will be quite sometime before Indian can challenge Harley or Honda as the bike to buy even though it is just as nice in my opinion. Yes a few new dealers will pop up now and then but will they sell enough Indians to stay in business, i do not think so. not trying to start a war here , just my opinion.

If I may please,,, Questions regarding your Opinions/Assumptions/"feelings".

-How many Dealers do they have now? How many when began? How many approved and opening in the next 60 days? How many in Application process? How many slated to open in next 90 days? Factually based Dealership projections for the next 12 months? 24 months?
-How many have been Sold to date? How many under Deposit yet to be Delivered? How many sales average per Dealer per month? Factually based projections for sales in next 3 months? 12 months? Pace increasing or decreasing based on those Facts? Trends?
-Production numbers to date? Orders placed but yet fulfilled at the present? Factually based projections for Production & Dealer Orders in the next (same periods as above)?
-Factually based comparison versus Victory in all above aspects (another Polaris owned company)?
-Have YOU ridden one? Have YOU actually looked at one personally up close?
-How many Harley Riders switch Bikes (HD to HD or HD to Other) and how often (opportunities for comparison Sales)?
-There are a ton of things I personally haven't seen, noticed, or don't appeal to me in the last few months. However, that has absolutely NO bearing on how good they are, stack up, appeal to the majority of others, or how they are doing (or will do) sales-wise.
-"No Good Reason to Buy one instead of a Harley"...:xzqxz:???? Not "hatin" but I personally would be Chomping at the Bit to have that opportunity in a Commissioned-based Compensation situation. As many times as I could get it. Take that to the Bank cause I would ThumbUp

Not trying to start a War? Well, Me neither.
Just presenting a logical & sensible refutation to baseless Assumptions and abject Conjecture.
Condemnation prior to Investigation is,,, well You know :D

I have a friend that in 6 years has owned 3 Harleys and 4 wings. he is now on a new wing and keeps talking about the 2014 street glide. haven't heard anything about wanting an indian yet.

If I was going to buy a new bike it would be an Indian, I'm bored with Harley's offerings and the direction or misdirection they seem to be going. I may have to demo ride an Indian this summer for grins.

:D,,,,V44 could you please repeat that in layman terms ,,a little slower ,,and is that a yes or no ,,,:xzqxz::xzqxz:

.To each his own and I love that Indian ThumbUpThumbUp

I'm just down the road from a Honda dealer who sells Spyders. Very rare for me to see one. Don't worry about v44 slick rick from what I have seen he seems to talk a lot of circles. :laugh:

Because i only want to own a trike for my ride i would have to see what was available out there to chose from. I have heard that Hannigan is in the process of making a kit for the Indian and they do make great looking kits so i would have to see one completed before making a judgement. The next thing i would have to think about before buying a Indian is naturally the final price after trading mine in or selling it outright. I really do like the looks of the retro Indian but it might only remain on my wish list as my list is getting longer and longer as i get older and older.

Don't worry about v44 slick rick from what I have seen he seems to talk a lot of circles. :laugh:

Seems pretty basic & straight-forward to me but tell ya what,,,
I'll try and "Seuss" it down in the future for you TR ThumbUp

I live in GA. and have yet to see the new Indian on the road or on display.

IMO.... why would anyone buy the newest motorcycle on the market which has no record of reliability or any thing else except for the "name only" of a co. that has not built a motorcycle in 68+ years :xzqxz:.

The co. that builds the new Indian has said that it got most of it's tech. data from building the Victory, pepper?

This new Indian reminds me a lot of the old Tucker auto.

I think I'll keep my Harley ;).

I live in GA. and have yet to see the new Indian on the road or on display.

IMO.... why would anyone buy the newest motorcycle on the market which has no record of reliability or any thing else except for the "name only" of a co. that has not built a motorcycle in 68+ years :xzqxz:.

The co. that builds the new Indian has said that it got most of it's tech. data from building the Victory, pepper?

This new Indian reminds me a lot of the old Tucker auto.

I think I'll keep my Harley ;).

Some of the people buying them are no different from the same folks who would buy the first MY of major changes to a Harley, from experience I know Harley will get them figured out, but it may take a year. It took them a whole year just to figure out how to make the trunk stop leaking on the 2009 Triglide, the fix was as simple as using the gasket from Lehman. Yet they fiddled away a whole year while people road with leaking trunks.

So far folks buying the new Indians are happy with little to no complaints that I have read, nothing wrong with getting tech data from building Victory. Harley Davidson got its tech data to build the Triglide from Lehman, then they turned around and bit the hand that fed them.

So far folks buying the new Indians are happy with little to no complaints that I have read, nothing wrong with getting tech data from building Victory. Harley Davidson got its tech data to build the Triglide from Lehman, then they turned around and bit the hand that fed them.

Hi,

I would love to read some reviews on the new Indian but don't know where to look, is their an Indian forum I could go to? or any other place you know of :xzqxz: ?

I would like to see the old Indian name come back, I wish them well ThumbUp, at least their co. is trying to copy the org. Indian instead of like most other co's trying to copy the Harley, but you really cant blame them ;).

isn't it nice of us to do the r&d work for them after we buy one.

I would bet every conversion company out there are looking into building a kit. They know some triker is going to have enough money and want one. me too if I can only figure out that money thing.

p.s. I would have to be able to keep Clifford (my big red dog)

i heard that Indian is giving a $1000.00 discount on the Chief model to military people. i do not know if they have to be active or in active but it does tell me that the company does have a heart, unlike Harley. this small step is something that Harley could do to show patriotism, but you and i both know that will never happen. I congradulate Indian for this step, if true , and wish them good luck as they will need it.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.Hammers
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png