HD oil temp sensor modification

Texan

Jun 30, 2013
Texas
I know somebody has already address this but I can't find it again.

I installed Wards FCS fans! Jagg oil cooler and a HD oil temp gauge on my trike. Everything seems to be working good but the temp gauge. It will not register above 150. I'd like t think my oil is running at 150 but not believing it.

Somebody posted suggestions that they experienced low temps because the sensor wasn't seated deep into the circulating oil. If I remember right he modified the adapter bezel that went into the oil pan and held the temp sensor.

Help !!!

o~\o

have you gone over all your connections first? If connections are good I would look at the Gauge or sensor at the oil pan. You should not have to modify anything IMO.

I know somebody has already address this but I can't find it again.

I installed Wards FCS fans! Jagg oil cooler and a HD oil temp gauge on my trike. Everything seems to be working good but the temp gauge. It will not register above 150. I'd like t think my oil is running at 150 but not believing it.

Somebody posted suggestions that they experienced low temps because the sensor wasn't seated deep into the circulating oil. If I remember right he modified the adapter bezel that went into the oil pan and held the temp sensor.

Help !!!

o~\o

You may have seen my post to this thread: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/20258-V-amp-h-power-dual-header-pipe
I had submitted and then seen my typo, it was 150° but I edited to correct 250°. I edited the post within an hour of posting. Maybe you had read it prior to my edit.

have you gone over all your connections first? If connections are good I would look at the Gauge or sensor at the oil pan. You should not have to modify anything IMO.

I agree, shouldn't have to tweet or modify anything. Have checked all connections. Have good power to the gauge.

Went by the dealership to discuss swapping our the sensor and got the 'ole (and understood) "no refunds or exchanges on electrical parts. You should have let our service dept do it".

My next thought is to pull the sensor out and test it in boiling water. Could kinda check calibration that way too. Thinking is to leave everything hooked up on the bike. Pull the sensor out of the oil pan, bring a pot of water to boil on a hot plate beside the bike, drop the sensor in and hopefully the gauge will read around 212. We're at 3750ft here so shouldn't effect the boiling point.

o~\o

I would make sure the crimp connections are crimped correctly and wired as stated in the instruction.(Good Connection) I know you have checked but cant hurt to recheck as I have seen bad crimp connections. Then if all that looks ok I would start with the sensor test. Hard to believe one of the components is bad right out of the box. But then again it could happen. Make sure the harness is good too.

How long have you driven the bike to get it 150 deg?

good Luck

I agree, shouldn't have to tweet or modify anything. Have checked all connections. Have good power to the gauge.

Went by the dealership to discuss swapping our the sensor and got the 'ole (and understood) "no refunds or exchanges on electrical parts. You should have let our service dept do it".

My next thought is to pull the sensor out and test it in boiling water. Could kinda check calibration that way too. Thinking is to leave everything hooked up on the bike. Pull the sensor out of the oil pan, bring a pot of water to boil on a hot plate beside the bike, drop the sensor in and hopefully the gauge will read around 212. We're at 3750ft here so shouldn't effect the boiling point.

o~\o
Also make sure the sending unit is the correct unit for the gauge. The sensor has to go into the oil also. Make sure the sensor isn't hid back in a bushing where the tip is the only contact with oil. You can also short the sending unit to ground & make sure the gauge goes all the way over to the hot side. Also go from the sending unit body to ground with an ohm meter & make sure there isn't any resistance. Like to much sealant on the threads.

?........Make sure the sensor isn't hid back in a bushing where the tip is the only contact with oil........

BINGO !!! Give theman a cigar. :pepper:

Supposedly only the very tip of the sensor protrude past the bushing. Not knowing about this issue, I did not check this before installing it. That was the "modification" thread I was looking/referring to. The author was talking about cutting off the bushing, allowing more of the sensor protrude into the oil pan. The dealership has ordered in a couple more oil temp gauges for inventory. Before pulling mine out I'm going to go to the dealership to see just 'how much' of the sensor protrudes past the mounting bushing. If the bushing is a serviceable part, I might order, depending on the $$$$, a couple 2-3 and start cutting.

I hang out on 5 different HD boards can't for the life of me remember which one I read it on.

o~\o

BINGO !!! Give theman a cigar. :pepper:

Supposedly only the very tip of the sensor protrude past the bushing. Not knowing about this issue, I did not check this before installing it. That was the "modification" thread I was looking/referring to. The author was talking about cutting off the bushing, allowing more of the sensor protrude into the oil pan. The dealership has ordered in a couple more oil temp gauges for inventory. Before pulling mine out I'm going to go to the dealership to see just 'how much' of the sensor protrudes past the mounting bushing. If the bushing is a serviceable part, I might order, depending on the $$$$, a couple 2-3 and start cutting.

I hang out on 5 different HD boards can't for the life of me remember which one I read it on.

o~\o

The problem with using a bushing with the sending unit is you are dealing with tapered pipe threads. If you cut anything off the bushing it might not even fit in the hole. I always try to use a sending unit that fits the hole without a bushing. They do make short bushings tho. You might look at the bushing & see if the oil can freely get to the sensor. Like a hollow bushing. Some bushings are full solid with just a hole drilled through & threaded. If you follow what I mean...
The readings might eventually even out after a while as the whole sending unit heats up, but it will never be really correct.
I think the hole is 3/8 pipe if I remember correctly, I would have to check for sure.
Have someone take a reading on the pan with an infrared temp meter & compare readings with your gauge. It might not be the problem after all.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png