Looking to put trike behind our 5th wheel any suggestions

Re: Looking to put trike behind our 5th wheel any suggestions

They make hydraulic lifts for motor homes, so they may make them for your application.
Maybe check with a place that sells motor homes.

Rosy

They make hydraulic lifts for motor homes, so they may make them for your application.
Maybe check with a place that sells motor homes.

Rosy

I don't think any 5th wheel frame would take the strain of that much weight but do think a trailer is doable. I pulled one behind my 32 ft. Carri Lite many miles/years without any problems. Some states have towing laws that create issues... You will have to deal with those. :xszpv: :xszpv:

As long as you have a recreational license you can legally pull another trailer behind your 5th wheel, of course you have to keep an eye on total length. If you are comfortable with doing that it would keep your trike clean between rides and secure. The widest point being the rear fenders should be measured then make sure ample room inside the trailer and methods of tie downs. The tie downs must be adequate for your trike, and the trike must be able to be positioned to give you proper tongue weight. If not, it will not handle properly. And if it's behind your 5th wheel, you may not know the rear trailer is acting up until too late. I know this is a little long but I hope it helps.

try this ,,,,]www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.‎,,,,I've seen these they say it works great . The good thing about 'em the two units become one , meeting all state laws .

Aluma TL 1. Best thing that ever happened for long distance with me and my trike.:):pepper::wave4:

As long as you have a recreational license you can legally pull another trailer behind your 5th wheel, of course you have to keep an eye on total length. If you are comfortable with doing that it would keep your trike clean between rides and secure. The widest point being the rear fenders should be measured then make sure ample room inside the trailer and methods of tie downs. The tie downs must be adequate for your trike, and the trike must be able to be positioned to give you proper tongue weight. If not, it will not handle properly. And if it's behind your 5th wheel, you may not know the rear trailer is acting up until too late. I know this is a little long but I hope it helps.

Not at all true in most states!! There are only a very few states which you are allowed to tow two trailers.

- - - Updated - - -

try this ,,,,<cite class="_md">www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html</cite>‎,,,,I've seen these they say it works great . The good thing about 'em the two units become one , meeting all state laws .

He said 5th wheel, not a Class diesel pusher. As said earlier, 5th wheel frames won't support bike lift, let alone a lift that will lift a trike.

Not at all true in most states!! There are only a very few states which you are allowed to tow two trailers.

- - - Updated - - -

He said 5th wheel, not a Class diesel pusher. As said earlier, 5th wheel frames won't support bike lift, let alone a lift that will lift a trike.

Hate to disagree with you SIR but the two that I have seen were fifth wheels , one a Teton and the other slips me . I don't know where you get this info but I've seen several fifth wheels with hitches . The frame runs to the back , the hitches are mounted from under the rear and extended back .

The trailer I give the web site to is not a lift at all ( never said it was ) but a trailer once attached acts as part of the unit .

Your statement of the frame not being strong enough to hold the weight of a 2000 pound trike eludes me ,,I have a Grand Junction fifth wheel weighing in at a healthy 15,000 pounds and you say that's not a strong enough frame .

Your statement of the frame not being strong enough to hold the weight of a 2000 pound trike eludes me ,,I have a Grand Junction fifth wheel weighing in at a healthy 15,000 pounds and you say that's not a strong enough frame .

Just because it weighs 15,000 lbs doesn't mean it has the excess capacity to handle more load. The best course of action is to check with the manufacturer to see if it can carry the extra load out back. Extra fabrication work may have to be done in order to support the added load, heavy weight doesn't mean much when your looking at a rolling house. Some of these 5th wheels are rolling condos, their going to be heavy as hell due to all the amenities. The manufacturer is also going to design everything with an eye towards saving weight which means the frame isn't going to be any heavier than is needed for the task it was designed for.

Very good point.

Hanging the weight of a trike plus the lift assembly off the rear of a 5th Wheel RV is going to put some serious strain on the frame members and axles. It will also change the hitch weight quite a bit. Remember - 10 to 15 % of the towed weight should be carried by the truck. Adding weight behind the axles removes weight from the hitch.

I have pulled "tandem" (triple pulling) through many states without any problem as long as you stay on interstate highway. Most states allow it on major roads as long as you are in route to your destination. "Trailer Life" RV campground directory use to have a list of the states and laws. I haven't had an RV in a few years so don't have a current directory but I'd expect that information is still there.

My advice is to find a trailer big enough to do your job and light enough not to add a ton of load. You will probably have to do some reinforcement to the RV rear trailer hitch regardless of what trailer you find. Hitch weight is again important. Hope that give you food for thought. :xszpv: :xszpv:

I tried pulling triple once. gas stops and backing up were challenging. the thought of all your toys behind you at the same time made it worse than it really was. Its about 25miles to our local lake. I will pull the camper then go back for the pontoon. I just don't like not being able to see the back of the train.

As far as hauling a trike and trailer behind a 5th wheel camper I would first check with the authorities in the states you would be using it. I for one don't believe it would be legal here in New York. I was a transport driver for many years and having hauled double tandem trailers over the road I feel this would be very unsafe.

Your right it's not legal in most states on the east coast ,,,that's the reason for the swivel trailer , once attached it operates as a part of the trailer .The wheels on the trailer turn allowing you to back the trailer and turns as the trailer turns .

I agree it's not built for ultra lite frames and is according to the trailer he has , but a lot of luxury fifth wheels are built with 10 inch I beams running too the back as mine . The Teton owner I talked with had three four wheelers on his . He also had nothing at all bad to report on the trailer and the way it operated .

If you go on the site you will also see the company explains all this and if I ever put a hitch on mine it will have the frame beefed up as much as I can (just the way I do things ) for my piece of mine .

The fact is it can be done with enough research and maybe a little structural work .

Your right it's not legal in most states on the east coast ,,,that's the reason for the swivel trailer , once attached it operates as a part of the trailer .The wheels on the trailer turn allowing you to back the trailer and turns as the trailer turns .

I agree it's not built for ultra lite frames and is according to the trailer he has , but a lot of luxury fifth wheels are built with 10 inch I beams running too the back as mine . The Teton owner I talked with had three four wheelers on his . He also had nothing at all bad to report on the trailer and the way it operated .

If you go on the site you will also see the company explains all this and if I ever put a hitch on mine it will have the frame beefed up as much as I can (just the way I do things ) for my piece of mine .

The fact is it can be done with enough research and maybe a little structural work .

I didn't see the swivel trailer the first time I looked at your link..... :cxtv:

Yup, I can see that doing the job. Come to think about it, I recall seeing that before but for me it wasn't an option. I was told by the vehicle registration folks that if wheels not belonging to the tow vehicle touch the ground it is a trailer and must be registered. I wasn't needing to haul heavy items so I simply built a light rack to hang off the rear of my 5th Wheel. When I needed/wanted to haul heavy then the rack came off and trailer was used.

The only down side I saw to the swivel trailer is the over swing in corners. Having that much behind the axles causes some anxious moments to be sure..... :D :D

Last edited:

Yes I agree with the overhang too you got to be careful and remember it's there . The only draw back I see is your Ins. Company refusing a claim if something happens . Being that my fifth wheel or a lot of others that I know of didn't come with a receiver hitch I'd be contacting them first , I'm sure we all know how that could end up .

As I've said though seen it done and looked to work good ,,heck I have a friend with a 2013 light weight fifth wheel he modified his rear bumper to pull his big bass boat ( never out of state that I know of ) or a trailer with his golf cart .

The only reason I would consider the swivel wheel is to get around the pulling doubles law . The best thing to do is like was already mentioned get a toy hauler but I don't want to give up part of my trailer to a garage .

Tow my trike now on a Drop Tail Trailer. So far, done about 13,000 miles of towing, most previously with Goldwing, now triked. Tows like a dream, only needs one person to ride on and off, and stands up on its end and tucks away at the back of the garage! Check them out on the internet, lots of info if you Google "Drop Tail Trailers."

hi guy
I have a hydra lift and they are very well built...have seen one on back of a 5th wheel but don't know if yours is built heavy enough for installation with out some heavy reinforcing be added to your frame....I think I would talk to the manufacture of your rig...or to a qualified hyda lift installation center better safe than sorry!!
best of luck mike

hi guy
I have a hydra lift and they are very well built...have seen one on back of a 5th wheel but don't know if yours is built heavy enough for installation with out some heavy reinforcing be added to your frame....I think I would talk to the manufacture of your rig...or to a qualified hyda lift installation center better safe than sorry!!
best of luck mike

Mike We'd love to see pictures of your trike on the back of your rig. Any chance you have one or two for us? THANKS.....:xszpv::xszpv:

Just as example of a trike lift behind a class A, look at the photo album in my profile page (electric winch lift with my own design for lifting heavy trikes, as in HD).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png