RAKE

Went and looked at chromedome.
Yes he has a good looking triangle to his frame. He did not have to make his strength with quantity. Looks like a good tie in to his neck and is gusseted. More rake than I like but still long low and cool looking. Biggest thing I like about his shape is that it don't leave a huge hole where you want to think the engine is supposed to be. Looks a lot like a Phoenix build.

Went and looked at chromedome.
Yes he has a good looking triangle to his frame. He did not have to make his strength with quantity. Looks like a good tie in to his neck and is gusseted. More rake than I like but still long low and cool looking. Biggest thing I like about his shape is that it don't leave a huge hole where you want to think the engine is supposed to be. Looks a lot like a Phoenix build.

I've been trying to get him to respond but he must be out riding his trike--ha.

Experience has shown me on more than one occassion that you can predict which arm, shoulder, wrist, etc. is at higher risk by looking at which hand you write with.

Rake

I know I would love information on how to build a girder or springer for that matter. I have been studying rake and trail for months and it seem to me that it is one thing to study and read but completely different to actual build? I have read a lot about rake and trail but it becomes a blur. I wonder what or if I am missing something because it still doesn't make sense. I'm generally not dense and have autobody and fabricating skills but grabbing this concept is eluding me. If you have a 55 degree rake and can get the trail around 2 inches or regardless is it that simple? Thanks

I posted the links to that a few pages back.

I can hunt up the links again.

I have not written a book about it all myself.

http://chopperhandbook.com/

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.choppercompendium.com/ccforum/viewforum.php?f=34

- - - Updated - - -

And what my stainless steel front end is looking like.

20150131_102852_zpsybhj7fwh.jpg

I posted the links to that a few pages back.

I can hunt up the links again.

I have not written a book about it all myself.

http://chopperhandbook.com/

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.choppercompendium.com/ccforum/viewforum.php?f=34

- - - Updated - - -

And what my stainless steel front end is looking like.

20150131_102852_zpsybhj7fwh.jpg

Sweet ... there's something about a springer that brings a tear to my eye. Had a 16 over springer on a 65 sporty with a Paco hardtail frame was I was young, used to bring tears to my eyes and if I did over 250 miles a day, blood to my urine ... :AGGHH:

Well I do have rear suspension.*
I don't really know if mine would be called a springers. It does have a hydraulic shock for dampening instead of rebound springs.

Lower Rocker(?) position

Very good looking girder. Question: I have done a lot of research and the lower rocker on a girder or springer seem to have no standard position. Some seem to be set high, more pointing towards the top of the tire or at least has an upward slant. It seems that very few pics I have seen have the rocker(? is that the right title) parallel with the ground. It would seem that parallel with the ground would give it the most functionality and proper handling? The rake of your pic of your forks in the vice shows the rocker parallel or close to it...

Last edited:
Very good looking girder. Question: I have done a lot of research and the lower rocker on a girder or springer seem to have no standard position. Some seem to be set high, more pointing towards the top of the tire or at least has an upward slant. It seems that very few pics I have seen have the rocker(? is that the right title) parallel with the ground. It would seem that parallel with the ground would give it the most functionality and proper handling? The rake of your pic of your forks in the vice shows the rocker parallel or close to it...

I set my leading link up with link parallel to ground but pivet pin center location is lower than axle center location.
magoo

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet ... there's something about a springer that brings a tear to my eye. Had a 16 over springer on a 65 sporty with a Paco hardtail frame was I was young, used to bring tears to my eyes and if I did over 250 miles a day, blood to my urine ... :AGGHH:

I hear ya!!
I rode ridged frame 1/2 " pad under my butt and 10 over springer !!!
oh ya to be young again would be great!!!

but so is modern technology :D
maybe soft-tail and shock on a springer wouldn't be so bad- wife would have loved it for sure!!!
magoo

First, it is not a girder.*
It is a leading link I suppose, because of the hyd shock.
Just made to look like a springer.
It is a drop axle rocker. It is not in the loaded or finished position at all. This is just a mock up. Once the scooter is together I will trim the length of the rods to position the rockers where I want them.

No there is no set length or shape to rockers or leading links.

The part that is set is where the axle is in relation to the neck.

A girder has the spring and links up top at the trees. No rockers at the bottom at all. You set the geometry at the links up top. The legs of a girder can be any shape you want as long as the relationship of axle to neck is correct.

Go to the links I posted. Read up. It is all there.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png