2014 HD Tri Glide Heat

Reaction score
I traded in my 2010 Tri Glide for a 2014 Tri Glide. I was riding my new TG the other day with my wife as a passenger and the outside temp was showing 99 degrees and my wife's leg was getting cooked by the exhaust heat and it's surroundings. On my 2010 I had the cat removed, removed the front shrouds and she was able to handle the heat. Well obviously I can't remove the front shrouds on the this TG do the radiators. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the entire exhaust. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can cool this darn thing down? Thank you

I traded in my 2010 Tri Glide for a 2014 Tri Glide. I was riding my new TG the other day with my wife as a passenger and the outside temp was showing 99 degrees and my wife's leg was getting cooked by the exhaust heat and it's surroundings. On my 2010 I had the cat removed, removed the front shrouds and she was able to handle the heat. Well obviously I can't remove the front shrouds on the this TG do the radiators. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the entire exhaust. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can cool this darn thing down? Thank you

On my 11T/G I did the stage one, That helped a little, But once I let the cat out of the bag that solved almost all of the heat problems..
Just one note; I ride only solo...

Wait, I thought that was the whole point of liquid cooling for exhaust. Maybe different tuning needs to be done on ECM. Can't hurt to ask dealer you got it at (OK, it might hurt your blood pressure).

Wait, I thought that was the whole point of liquid cooling for exhaust. Maybe different tuning needs to be done on ECM. Can't hurt to ask dealer you got it at (OK, it might hurt your blood pressure).
Harley messed this up. Not sure what they accomplished. This winter, I'm sure will have to remove the cat and have new V&H exhaust installed like the 2010 I had.

The water buffalo wasn't done to aid in comfort, it was done to meet ever more stringent EPA guidelines. It allows the engine to run leaner without burning up. You're gonna have to replace the header and tune it.

Only the heads are water cooled. The jugs are still air cooled, thus still a lot of heat.
Some have added cooling fans but, I haven't seen any posts what the results are.
I was hoping for a real water cooled engine. Was going to see what kind of deal I could get but, no joy!!!!!

I see you're in MO. I find it hard to believe that it has been 99 degrees this spring already in MO. Was that a typo? :confused::confused:

The cats have to reach a very high temp to do there job. No matter if it is on a air cooled engine or a water cooled engine. On a car, truck, motorcycle, etc. If and when I trade up for a newer Tri Glide, that will be the first thing to go!!!

I see you're in MO. I find it hard to believe that it has been 99 degrees this spring already in MO. Was that a typo? :confused::confused:
I was surprised at the heat of 99 degrees on the radio display. I think the actual heat was 87 outside here in missouri. Not sure where the temp sensor is on the tri glide but the heat in part is of the radiant heat from the engine.

I wonder if the DK lift kit will help relieve some of the heat on the passenger. Just thinking out loud.

Lifting the rear won't do anything for the passenger as far as less heat. The only way to reduce heat is cat removal and tuning. IMO I wouldn't fiddle with a 14 to much while under warranty, it would be rolling the dice with the warranty which you just might need.

Ride solo! Get you wife her own bike! Problem solved. ThumbUp :laugh: :pepper:

I also ride solo and have never had a heat problem - on my 2010 Limited, 2012 TG or my 2014 TG. Did have a small issue with my 2003 Ultra while standing in one spot for 10 minutes once.
On the 2012 TG I had the race tuner, A/C and slipons done before I took possession of it in Oct of 2012 because of the posts on this forum, so I don't know if I really needed that.

I may have a higher tolerance for heat then most people.

drive faster! just kidding . they are telling you right. from ultra to trike heat has been a problem . true duals / no cat / and a cooling fan are about the best answer. $$$$$$

I am toying with the idea of trading my 2011 in on a 2014.

We have some Customer local to us that have 2014 TG's and the engine does put out less radiant heat, but the Cat is just as hot.

If I do make the trade, I will still use the Wards Parts Werks FCS fans.

I will also either get a different exhaust system with no cat, or just remove the cat from the stock headers.

Not sure what slip-ons I will run.

Will use an Outlaw Air Cleaner, and Power Vision for tuning.

Kevin

I will wait till winter and replace the exhaust removing the cat. I hat this done on the 2010 triglide and it helped. I just ordered a cooling vest for my wife.
I was wondering about what you said about the Wards cooling fans. Do these fans blow from left to right or the other way? I don't want any more hot air on my wife's leg.
Thank you

I will wait till winter and replace the exhaust removing the cat. I hat this done on the 2010 triglide and it helped. I just ordered a cooling vest for my wife.
I was wondering about what you said about the Wards cooling fans. Do these fans blow from left to right or the other way? I don't want any more hot air on my wife's leg.
Thank you

The Wards blow from left to right. They blow against the heads and you will feel very little air making it to the right side of the bike.

Ride solo! Get you wife her own bike! Problem solved. ThumbUp :laugh: :pepper:

I also ride solo and have never had a heat problem - on my 2010 Limited, 2012 TG or my 2014 TG. Did have a small issue with my 2003 Ultra while standing in one spot for 10 minutes once.
On the 2012 TG I had the race tuner, A/C and slipons done before I took possession of it in Oct of 2012 because of the posts on this forum, so I don't know if I really needed that.

I may have a higher tolerance for heat then most people.

My 2007 Ultra is so hot I don't even ride it between June and September. If I am caught in traffic for 2 minutes my shoes start to melt. One guy I rode with had his heel melt on his boots from his Ultra by riding it in hot weather. Every Ultra I've had has been the same, and I've had 7 of them. I've seen Harleys being pushed down the road in slow or stopped traffic with the engine off cause the riders couldn't stand the heat from sitting and idling.

My 2007 Ultra is so hot I don't even ride it between June and September. If I am caught in traffic for 2 minutes my shoes start to melt. One guy I rode with had his heel melt on his boots from his Ultra by riding it in hot weather. Every Ultra I've had has been the same, and I've had 7 of them. I've seen Harleys being pushed down the road in slow or stopped traffic with the engine off cause the riders couldn't stand the heat from sitting and idling.
Two minutes and your boots start to melt?:confused:

One of the reasons I kept my 06 Ultra when the 07's came out is the heat of the 07's. I took an 07 Ultra out for a test ride, the 1st stop and go traffic sure opened my eyes. My 06 never cooked me like that 07 did, the choice to keep my 06 was an easy one.

While at a dealership getting a little service work done on my 2013 TG, I test drove a 2014 TG.

It was a nice bike but I perceived it to be hotter than my 2013 Ultra and 2013 TG. Both of which have had their exhaust systems replaced with tru-duals, re-tuned and stage 1.

I believe the comments you see about the water cooled heads being EPA driven are correct.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png