Screw in new front tire

Reaction score
Got a screw in my less than 2000 mile front tire. I know you don't plug the front tire on a two wheeler and I assume the same goes for three wheels, am I correct? This could be the most expensive "screw" I have ever had! Sux!

I'd just replace the tire, but then I'm anal when it comes to my passenger and my safety.

:Agree:

I once once replaced a front tire with 200 miles on it..sent it to a guy in NM. He patched it and ran it bald!!! I'm not wealthy but I'm also not THAT poor. :xszpv::xszpv:

Sell it on ebay :laugh::laugh:

Screw or tire?

- - - Updated - - -

:Agree:

I once once replaced a front tire with 200 miles on it..sent it to a guy in NM. He patched it and ran it bald!!! I'm not wealthy but I'm also not THAT poor. :xszpv::xszpv:

If I did this I would disclose what is going on with the tire. I'm sure you did also.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one...
I've plugged many tires, If the hole isn't on the sidewall, or a rip ' a plug will work'
I plugged a rear tire on my 1800VTX. that had only 3 hundred miles on it, Road it out to 65 hundred miles till the tread wore out.. What I do is plug then put sealer in the tire...
Works for me..:Shrug:
I once sealed a ATC tire (sidewall) caveman style with a nut and bolt, ran it that way for years...

I would plug and tube it.
I was at a show and a guy selling tire plug gadgets said he had a guy come up to him and tell him he came to the show from NJ. 125 miles with 4 plugs in his rear tire. The guy says to me he thought the guy was an A Hole for doing it and more of an A hole to actually admit it to someone.

"IF" You decide to repair it, inside patch only by a Tire Shop.....over the years I've lost tires to screws, etc. with virtually no miles on Them. I'll repair one on a Car/Truck, but I never trust doing it on a Motorcycle/Trike/Scooter. I've patched Them enough to get Home, but then parked until the new tire arrives. I had a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple that I got a screw in the rear with only 1100 miles on it...replaced it, 100 miles later that one picked up a screw...3 Michelin Pilot Power Rear Tires purchased in a week ($720)..."HAPPENS"......:(

When I rode 2 wheels I would NEVER ride a bike with a patched tire, front or rear. Maybe that was because I experienced 2 blowouts with rear tires over the years that almost ended very badly. Maybe with a Trike I might, but why go through the worry for a $110.00 I might run a tube in it depending on the location of the puncture.

If its not in the sidewall, take it to a tire shop and get a patch put on the inside..
They do it to auto tires all the time..
Unless of course it was a humungus screw..
:xzqxz:

I agree with onahog, I've done this many times on cars and trucks that I've owned, never had a problem. if you decide to buy a new tire just send me the old one and I will dispose of it for you :D.

Well you will do what seems good to you and thats as it should be,but in 50 years of riding 100s of thousands of miles I can't even begin to count the number of tubes I've patched on the side of the road or tires I've plugged and rode on until the tires were worn out. Since I regularly check my pressure anyway I know if they are losing pressure. I believe as long as I am checking things regularly I will catch any problem before it gets out of hand. I have no intention of throwing away a tire with good tread still on it

Your experience may be different and that is great. We all need to do what we feel comfortable with.

I have used "Stop & Go" a plug kit to get home ...then a patch and tube to wear the tire on out...this was on two wheels...I will do it on a trike where I will get twice the miles out of the rear tires than I do on two wheels...

Have patched motorcycle tires (on the inside) for years with NO problem. On the road have plugged 'em also. Currently run Ride-On in all my tires and feel very safe if I pick up a nail/screw..

But ya know what ever keeps your peace of mind.....

And like several others have suggested, ship it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png