air shocks

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Honda vtx 1800 c that I am considering changing from coil over shocks to air shocks. has anyone done this and what brand of shock did you go with?

Personally I wouldn't use manual air shocks. I had them on my 1500 (in forks for a short time, plus rear shock, CB900 Custom, and recently my '08 Kawasaki Vulcan.

what I found is that the manual system is a PITA. You have to carry a small hand pump with you; the small volume of air in each shock is subject to temperature induced pressure changes; and it's just something else you have to check before every ride. Air shocks are also subject to developing leaks.

That said I have air shocks in my Roadsmith Accuride System but it is automatic and I don't have to do anything to them.

Other than what I have now I would not use air shocks again. A good coil-over is virtually non-destructible and not that hard change when necessary. YMMV :D

"Like riding on air"... sounds good but air doesn't compress... springs do. I have had NUMEROUS air shock bikes in the past and find coil over shocks far superior IF you buy good quality shocks with the correct spring rate.

"Like riding on air"... sounds good but air doesn't compress... springs do. I have had NUMEROUS air shock bikes in the past and find coil over shocks far superior IF you buy good quality shocks with the correct spring rate.

Air does indeed compress, wiredgeorge. It's liquids that don't compress. But I agree with you on the air shocks. Seems like it's just a matter of time and they will leak. Coil over shocks is proven technology that just plain works.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTCBB77
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png