Post Your VW Trike Pics

I am a US Army Vet, I own a VW Trike, manual transmission. It has been sitting for over a year because I lost my left leg. Does any one know of a way to convert the foot brake into a hand brake OR convert the foot clutch into a hand clutch? Either way I need to free up the left leg side since I have no use of it and I truly would love to ride my trike once again.

First a huge welcome to Trike Talk!!!!!

A pal of mine is a double amputee so we had to make his ole Harley trike all hand controlled. What we did is got an over sized master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve

We picked up a single inlet/dual outlet type proportioning valve. Came from the master cylinder down to the valve and then out to the dual disc rear and out to the front. We then cranked the proportioning valve all the way in, test rode it, brought it back and started adjusting to get the correct front braking without sliding the front wheel. It took some time however it has been working now for about 2 years with no issues at all.

Many states however, do not allow adjustable proportioning valves so you might need to check with your state.

His trike has dual disc front and then disc on each rear. Work out great!

Does any one know of a way to convert the foot brake into a hand brake OR convert the foot clutch into a hand clutch? Either way I need to free up the left leg side since I have no use of it and I truly would love to ride my trike once again.

Thanks for your service TJHepler, & welcome to TrikeTalk.

Since your looking for ideas on getting back to riding again, I'll throw some things out to you that I use regularly & maybe you might find something helpful.

I ride a VW trike too but it's an autostick, (semi-auto in case you're unfamiliar with them). There is no manual clutch to have to use in shifting on an autostick, & that configuration seems to work best for folks like me & others who like the air-cooled VW as a powerplant.

I have the rear brakes controlled by a Harley VRod clutch master on the left hand side of the bars, and a regular HD brake master for front on the right for the front wheel. This setup is good as I have no use of my legs.

As far as your clutch goes, there are hydraulic slave cylinders that are available for the transmission. You could potentially use about any other motorcycle type hydraulic handlebar clutch control to make a hand clutch work.

I'm not sure how your trike is set up for shifting. This might be a concern with a hand clutch if the shifter is currently mounted sideways on the left side.

Out of curiosity, do you have a hand throttle or foot pedal throttle? It really doesn't matter on that, but you now a few ideas and there are other very good builder/fabricator types on here that might be able to add ideas for you in solving your mild dilemma.

As long as you have the desire to ride again, there's no reason you can't at least try to get back up & out there on the road again!ThumbUp

Best of luck in getting in the wind again.

Post pictures if you can, & keep us posted on your trikes conversion...

Stinger, feel free to move this out of the pics if it goes on much longer.

First a huge welcome to Trike Talk!!!!!

A pal of mine is a double amputee so we had to make his ole Harley trike all hand controlled. What we did is got an over sized master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve

We picked up a single inlet/dual outlet type proportioning valve. Came from the master cylinder down to the valve and then out to the dual disc rear and out to the front. We then cranked the proportioning valve all the way in, test rode it, brought it back and started adjusting to get the correct front braking without sliding the front wheel. It took some time however it has been working now for about 2 years with no issues at all.

Many states however, do not allow adjustable proportioning valves so you might need to check with your state.

His trike has dual disc front and then disc on each rear. Work out great!

+1, Great advice

I am a US Army Vet, I own a VW Trike, manual transmission. It has been sitting for over a year because I lost my left leg. Does any one know of a way to convert the foot brake into a hand brake OR convert the foot clutch into a hand clutch? Either way I need to free up the left leg side since I have no use of it and I truly would love to ride my trike once again.

Welcome to the Gang ... and Thank You So Much for Your Service

- - - Updated - - -

Also you might want to check out this forum as well ... lots of good info

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/forums/257-Enabled-Trikers

Now that is a frigging awesome looking dub trike, Mike!!!!!!!!

And, a huge welcome to Trike Talk man!!! :clapping:

Did you build that trike or did you buy it already built?

it was already built got it in a trade always wanted one at 62 years old and 2 new knees cant ride anything with 2 wheels. you don't see many for sale or trade here in ga. been fooling with vws for 35 years or more having a issue with it starting after it sets a while after it is warmed up. but thanks to this sight and a few great answers I hope to solve it shortly . making a few changes but nothing drastic thanks mike from ga.

Well, ya got an awesome looking trike! And from what I saw, I think including a fuel regulator, as Fowler stated, should solve your hard starting issue.

What carburation do you have on there?

I don't know if you have seen the trike I have in the pictures, but it has the lower part of the stock VW body. I want to re-do mine much like the one you have. Always liked that look.

single barrel empi 34 I realy wanted a fiber glass bodied one but around here in ga they are not many for sale I have seen. and the top keeps lots of sun and rain off of you also. Been fooling with bugs for years. I will have to check yours out thanks mike

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png