Help - my bike won't start

Dec 17, 2011
Ash, NC
1999 GW 1500SE Lehman

Had been away for a few weeks and forgot to put tender on bike. Tried to start and got nothing - no click - no electric. Put on tender for 24 hrs and showed full charge. Tried to start again - no click - no electric, but when I turned off heard a buzzing sound, even when I put in locked position! Put on tender and showed too low voltage (red light blinking continuously). I waited a day and put on tender for 24 hrs again and went to start and same thing happened - no click - no electric and buzzing sound when I turned off (again even in locked position). I thought it sounded like something electrical (battery discharging???) I'll have to have it towed to shop, and I wanted to see if anyone might have an idea of what it might be before I have it towed. Battery, starter, electrical??? I appreciate any and all input because, as I said, I am a dummy when it come to the mechanics of my bike. Thank you for all your advice.
:(:confused::xzqxz:

Don't know for sure but I would try to take the battery cables off, clean them vigorously and then re-install. Try that first anyway. If that fails then you're back to plan B.

Check you battery ground.....remove from frame, clean and add a little cup grease between cable and frame.

8~\o

1999 GW 1500SE Lehman

Had been away for a few weeks and forgot to put tender on bike. Tried to start and got nothing - no click - no electric. Put on tender for 24 hrs and showed full charge. Tried to start again - no click - no electric, but when I turned off heard a buzzing sound, even when I put in locked position! Put on tender and showed too low voltage (red light blinking continuously). I waited a day and put on tender for 24 hrs again and went to start and same thing happened - no click - no electric and buzzing sound when I turned off (again even in locked position). I thought it sounded like something electrical (battery discharging???) I'll have to have it towed to shop, and I wanted to see if anyone might have an idea of what it might be before I have it towed. Battery, starter, electrical??? I appreciate any and all input because, as I said, I am a dummy when it come to the mechanics of my bike. Thank you for all your advice.
Have the battery tested. Most auto parts places will do that for free.

How old is your battery?

it seems like battery's are tender little things?
If you keep it on a tender you may not notice at first it is getting weak, Has it given any indication that it really doesn't want to start before under some conditions?:Shrug: any hesitations?

Sounds like the battery went out on you.
When a battery starts to get old or used then it is drained it can go south because of the stress. The red blinking light is a sign that the battery needs to be replaced. When they are bad the charger will not charge the battery, it flashes the red light to let you know it needs to be tested.
I am confident the battery is bad.
I use a battery analyzer, it takes 24 hours to test the battery and it will realign. if it can't it will show the battery needs replaced. I thought it was a charger when I got it. It is but much more.

Sounds like the battery went out on you.
When a battery starts to get old or used then it is drained it can go south because of the stress. The red blinking light is a sign that the battery needs to be replaced. When they are bad the charger will not charge the battery, it flashes the red light to let you know it needs to be tested.
I am confident the battery is bad.
I use a battery analyzer, it takes 24 hours to test the battery and it will realign. if it can't it will show the battery needs replaced. I thought it was a charger when I got it. It is but much more.

:Agree:ThumbUp

I would do what everyone told you too do and if the cleaning of connections and a new battery don't solve the problem; well, it would be a good excuse to buy a new bike!:Coffee:

1999 GW 1500SE Lehman

Sounds like battery to me. When you are charging it even thoo it shows volts it may not have the amps. GOOD LUCK

Thank you, thank you and thank you to all of you who replied to my earlier post!!! :) You all were correct - I got my battery out and had it tested and lo and behold - no reading at all!:( Found the exact same one on line and had it shipped with free shipping (Throttex Batteries Co. ) :pepper: Got it back in the bike, after I cleaned the contacts with a wire brush and now it's purring like a kitten! I will always start my bike once a week and if I can't, I'll make certain to put it on my tender jr. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all:Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa:GYPSYGAL

Thank you, thank you and thank you to all of you who replied to my earlier post!!! :) You all were correct - I got my battery out and had it tested and lo and behold - no reading at all!:( Found the exact same one on line and had it shipped with free shipping (Throttex Batteries Co. ) :pepper: Got it back in the bike, after I cleaned the contacts with a wire brush and now it's purring like a kitten! I will always start my bike once a week and if I can't, I'll make certain to put it on my tender jr. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all:Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa::Santa:GYPSYGAL

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it. Bike batterys are funny and when they die they often die differently than car equipment. I had one die on me on my Wing one afternoon after parking it for less than five minutes. When I turned the key on it was deader than Nixon. It was like the battery was gone from the bike, but it was there, just dead. That is the reason I change mine out every three years just to be safe. I don't want to be on a trip out West and have it die and I"m stuck 100 miles from somewhere I can replace my battery. I tender mine now every couple of weeks or so since riding this time of year where I live is rare at best.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png