Update Avon Cobra Trike tire

Not much riding in the last two months between weather and cataract surgeries. However, my only concern now is how long it will last because I think it rides and drives much better than the bias ply sport tires we've been running on trikes; BT45 & MPA.

As a matter of fact, at this point, I would say even if it gets the typical 11-13k I get here in the Arkansas twisties on the BT45 or MPA I would still purchase it again for the other benefits alone. I suspect the mileage will be better but just saying.....

Any update (as of Feb 2015), on the new Avon Cobra Trike specific tire ?
Thanks..............
:Dorag:

Since the Road Smith Auxiliary Gas Tank won't work on my HD built Tri-Glide, I'm going to put a 18" Front Wheel on mine and this looks like a great tire. Can't find too much about it yet but worth a shot.
Only other option I was looking at was staying with 16" and putting a Dunlop American Elite MT90B16 Rear Tire on the front. The Mutli Tread should give it longer life.

With the Avon trike tire it would be interesting for someone to measure the tread depth on a new tire to compare it to an MPA or BT45. Comparitively to see if Avon corrected for the major problem of using a stock 1800 radial vs changing out to a bias ply for more mileage.

With the Avon trike tire it would be interestingfor someone to measure the tread depth on a new tire to compare it to an MPA or BT45. Comparitively to see if Avon corrected for the major problem of using a stock 1800 radial vs changing out to a bias ply for more mileage.

Tread depth alone will not answer your question IMO. Tire compound, footprint, etc. all play into it. Since Avon designed this tire specifically for trikes I would assume they changed the dynamics of the tire to more suit the trike needs rather than a bike.

As I've said before, in the Arkansas twisties where I live and do most of my riding, we (5 GW trikes) all average 11-13 k miles. Our turns and chip-and-seal roads really eat tires. Time will tell if Avon improves this. However, the ride and handling are so much better that I will purchase the Avon Cobra Trike tire again if it justs gets the same mileage. Anything higher will be a bonus.

With Avons trike tire I would assume they took into play that the front tire has a greater amount of weight on it as compared to a 2 wheeler . But also when it comes to compounds for the tread they would have to tread a fine line between mileage and handling. Mileage making it a long lasting tire but not a great handling one versus a great handling tire and a short lasting one.

Thats why Im asking about tread depth to see if they made a front tire with a heavier tread depth. I used to ride 10-12,000 miles a year before the missus got sick. We'd get about 2 years out of a bias ply tire versus 7000 out of the stock 1800 radial. We do about 6-8000 if we're lucky now. If the tread is as shallow as a stock 1800 I cant see wasting the money replacing a tire. And its sorry to see someone cant take a minute to take a ruler to the tread and take a pic.

And its sorry to see someone cant take a minute to take a ruler to the tread and take a pic.[/QUOTE]

Since I have about 5,000 miles on my tire now it would do no good to measure it. I would suggest going to the Avon site and maybe it's in the specs. Or, maybe someone who has a new one with very low mileage might chime in.

I did find this info on Dennis Kirk site but under "specs" it did not give tread depth.

"Overview of Avon Front Cobra Trike AV71 130/70R-18 Blackwall Tire - 90000020646 Specially designed for Trikes, the new Avon Cobra Trike is the perfect choice for this increasingly popular, easy to handle, three-wheel motorcycle option. Made with the exceptional technology that has gone into the development of the other Cobra products in the line, the new Cobra Trike tire offers a flatter lean profile for longer wear, better handling and stability.

• Advanced Variable Belt Density (A-VBD) construction uses a densely wrapped belt in the center of the tire for stability, wear and mileage
  • Belt is less dense on shoulder for a huge, compliant contact patch
  • Lifetime Profile Engineering (LPE) for consistent handling and stability for the life of the tire
  • Enhanced Aqua Flow (EAF) tread pattern for optimal water dispersal
  • Enhanced Stability System (ESS) design reduces tire flex for improved grip and stability"

Sine the Road Smith Auxiliary Gas Tank won't work on my HD built Tri-Glide, I'm going to put a 18" Front Wheel on mine and this looks like a great tire. Can't find too much about it yet but worth a shot.
Only other option I was looking at was staying with 16" and putting a Dunlop American Elite MT90B16 Rear Tire on the front. The Mutli Tread should give it longer life.

I have 10,ooo on mine with no cupping and it looks like its going to go allot longer!ThumbUp

I was out and about this afternoon and stopped by Dream Rider Trikes here in San Angelo to chat with the folks. Came away with two very good bits of news. First, they are now Roadsmith Authorized Dealers. In keeping with this thread topic, I was also told that Motor Trike has been testing the new Avon trike tire on a few of their trikes. They have been getting in the 35K range. That my friends is absolutely phenomenal mileage for our roads down here!! :xszpv::xszpv: Avon may have hit a Home Run with this one..... I just put a BT-45 on my new ride but will be thinking very hard about this come time to change.

Ride Safe!!:laugh::laugh:

Be careful >> Avon has other tires with the same size. If you're looking for a trike tire this should be the one. Not the AV71 HRReviews for Avon Front Cobra Trike AV71 130/70R-18 Blackwall Tire - 90000020646Please correct me if I'm mistaken. :Dorag:

Appreciate the help but Im looking specifically to see if Avon deepened the front tread to help make up for wear and tear on their front trike tire. For the cost it had better be a high mileage tire. Ive seen MPAs and BT45s with high mileage but in Avons case Ill believe over 25,000 on a radial when I see it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png